Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #15

I too, have never seen an AWD anything that could be towed on a dolly. That said, everyone said I couldn't tow a 4WD Jeep JKU on a dolly either, but I did it successfully for several thousand miles with no issues. However, the TC had a neutral position that disconnected the output shafts and transmission.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2022, 01:59 PM   #16

Hah, the OP, cherv, is most likely laughing at us. Some of us are leading his thread off-topic. He didn't ask IF his Acadia could be dolly-towed, he asked for recommendations as to which tow dollies are safest for his Acadia.

I'm now thinking he knows more than we do about the dolly towability of his own vehicle.

The 2021 Acadia is part-time AWD from what I can gather. So perhaps when the dolly towing procedures outlined in the owner's manual are followed, it does in fact disconnect output to the rear diff and the rear axle is freewheeling(?).

I'm always in favor of threads being kept on-topic so apologies to cherv for my part in posting thoughts on something that wasn't even asked. :P
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post

The 2021 Acadia is part-time AWD from what I can gather. So perhaps when the dolly towing procedures outlined in the owner's manual are followed, it does in fact disconnect output to the rear diff and the rear axle is freewheeling(?).

:P
More likely disconnects the front driveshaft and puts the transfer case in neutral. Just like the Jeep.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:54 PM   #18

It scares me the amount of misinformation I’m reading here! Even the dolly towing of a Jeep!
Please read the owners manual and don’t try and read something that isn’t there.
Dodge Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
It scares me the amount of misinformation I’m reading here! Even the dolly towing of a Jeep!
Please read the owners manual and don’t try and read something that isn’t there.

Yep, I agree it's good to go to the manual.
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 02:35 AM   #20

Well, that's what some of us are questioning ...is the owner's manual indeed correct? It doesn't specifically say an AWD Acadia can be dolly towed but implies "any" 2021 Acadia can be dolly towed.

It's just that some of us are "skeptical" that an AWD can be dolly towed without being damaged as we haven't come across many, if any, AWD vehicles that can be dolly towed. That's all we're questioning or curious about.

BUT, again, that isn't even the question the OP is asking. He's asking for advice on choosing a dolly. He has already interpreted the owner's manual as saying that his Acadia can be dolly towed. The verbiage in the owner's manual implies but does not specifically say that it can be dolly towed. Therefore, yes, those of us who are questioning it are out of line and are leading the thread off topic. We should attempt to answer the OP's question and not question his ability to interpret the owner's manual in the way he wishes.

Page 336 of the 2021 GMC Acadia owner's manual is attached below ...notice how there is no specific distinction between AWD vs FWD in the verbiage in the instructions given on dolly towing, thus implying that any Acadia can be dolly towed. Some of us question that, but we really shouldn't, as the manual does imply that all Acadias can be dolly towed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21_GMC_Acadia_Acadia_page336.png
Views:	18
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	382331  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
No aluminum dolly s but just add a tongue jack and they roll real easy.

I use a Stehl Tow dolly, disk surge brakes, standard 14" tires, fixed ramps, and LED lights. It has a turntable that the front tires sit on, so that the cars wheels aren't forced to turn on corners. Must have 40,000 miles on it by now. 1 set of brake pads and 1 set of tires so far.

The Stehltow is often called a clone of the Mastertow dolly so that should be a good on too.
We used a Mastertow for a few years and several thousand miles. and it served us well.

We were parked next to a rig with a Stehl once, and I got a chance to compare them. It sure looked like one of them was a clone of the other But the Stehl looked better built. Fenders and lights looked more substantial on the Stehl. They were flimsy plastic on the Mastertow and just sort of started self-destructing after a few years. They weren't terribly expensive to replace, though.

I definitely think I would have preferred the ratchet mechanism on the Stehl over the Mastertow. My wife had trouble getting enough leverage to tighten the straps on the Mastertow with it's little short handles, but the Stehl used a hex drive that would have allowed use of a longer wrench or breaker bar if necessary.

If doing it again I'd likely go with the Stehl next time.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly