Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #1

Tow Dolly Help

I have narrowed do my selection to:
Acme Eze Tow Dolly
Master Tow Dolly

We will be towing a 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan suv, weight is about 4400 lbs. The trailer will be equipped with electric brakes.
What would be your choose?????
We will be towing with a Coachmen 32' Leprechaun with a Ford E-450
Also comments welcome.
Mike
siammike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #2

I have the ACME. The othe dolly I was considering was the Demco Kar Kaddy. First, the ACME was less weight and had surge brakes. Electric brakes are also now available. I also liked the removable ramps since I had read where some users had the mounted ramps hit the bottom of their car. One factor that might be decisive for you is the steering lock mechanism. The ACME uses the car's steering to negotiate corners and if you have locking steering you must leave the key so the steering wheel will turn. The Master Tow I believe has pivot pans so the steering should remain locked. If your car's steering doesn't lock you may need to tie it when towing. So your car's steering may also be a factor in your decision.

For me, my Malibu doesn't have a steering lock so using the Demco would require me to tie the steering wheel to prevent movement when towing. This was another major factor for me choosing the ACME.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #3

My steering wheel does not lock with key out so guess it is Acme.
Mike
siammike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:58 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
My Corolla locks if the key is removed, so I've installed a battery disconnect switch(link).
This lets me leave the transmission in neutral, with the key in the ignition and the battery disconnected (and power to the car) so that the battery does not drain. Before I unload the car from the ACME dolly, I reconnect the battery, put the transmission in park, removed the straps and emergency chain then drive off the dolly on the reinstalled ramps.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Acme EZ Tow with surge brakes. We tow a Nissan Juke. No issues, works good.
fcbbob15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:08 AM   #6

I would get the MasterTow.

I have the clone to it ( StehlTow ) and in 25,000 miles, I haven't had an issue.

I like the larger, 14" trailer tires, avalable everywhere. Although mine still look new, if one failed I could pick up a new one, wheel and all, almost anywhere.

My cars steering does not lock and I don't do anything to tie it up. It tows straight behind me like it isn't even there. I prefer that the cars front wheels can turn, when I need to make sharp turns, well over 90 degrees. ( Acme says not to ).

When I'm U turning out of a gas station the turntable can only swivel so far. Once it hits the stops the front tires steer the rest of the way. Once I'm on the straight and narrow everything lines right back up.

With the built in ramps, I un-do the straps and safety cables, pull the tilt pin and back off.
To move the dolly on the ground I installed a caster wheel near the hitch. I don't think the dolly weighing an extra 100 lbs makes much difference moving something with wheels. Besides, the extra weight is behind the wheels, so it balances out. I don't carry it around. The DW and I each push on a fender to move it around.

When loading, I pull up the solid mounted ramps, never worrying that they may move, slip or be in the wrong spot, until the tilt comes level. Put in the tilt lock pin, strap the wheels down and clip the safety cables thru the wheels. My knees never touch the ground, hooking safety chains or gathering up dirty ramps from under the car, for storage somplace.

You may prefer electric brakes but surge disk brakes are simple and trouble free. No controller, no heavy current thru the wires and connector and no adjustment. As the hitch pushs against the ball, the brakes gradually apply until it doesn't push against the ball. Its all self controlling.

As far a backing, your not going to do much backing anyway, with the car loaded. With it empty, I can back it some, but if uphill or on soft ground, the wheels slide. There is a hole to put a pin in to disable the surge brakes.

Happy shopping.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #7

I have the Acme EEZ-tow. I have not had any other brand so I won't comment on the other brands. I chose the Acme because it did not have a swivel pan and built in ramps which I had read can cause interference issue with the toad. Also the Acme is light enough for me to move around on my own and low enough to slip under the rear of the coach in an RV park. I like the surge disk brakes as there are more progressive than the old Brake Buddy system I used for flat towing.
I am as happy as one can get using a dolly. Flat towing was easier for hooking up as I did not have to lie on my back to secure safety chains around the control arms. Some folks say there is no need to lie on your back but there is no way I can secure the Prius V without doing so....it only takes about a minute each side so not a big deal unless you have mobility issues.
I didn't mean to start a debate about dolly versus flat towing but it's something you should think through before making a decision.
Good Luck
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly