Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:28 PM   #1

Tow dolly help needed

We recently purchased a used tow dolly. We will be using it to tow our Toyota Corolla and have run into some conflicting instructions on how to do this. Some say to leave the steering wheel locked, while others say to be sure to leave the car with the ignition left in accessory mode.

Our tow dolly has a swivel deck, if this makes a difference. Any help with this question would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Yes, the swivel makes all the difference. A tow dolly that has a swivel table for the toad requires that the toad's steering wheel be locked. The turning of the toad is handled by the swivel action of the dolly.
Old 08-20-2021, 07:47 PM   #3

Craig

Thank you. The reason we bought a tow dolly with the deck was so we didnít have to leave the car in accessory mode. Now that question has been resolved, I need to get a definitive answer on locking the steering wheel with the seat belt. Yes or No
Old 08-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #4

I used a demco tow dolly for three years before switching to a flat tow. Never once did I use the accessory switch or the seat belt for anything. Drove the car upon the ramps, strapped the tires down, hooked up the safety chains, with the vehicle in park, ignition off, key removed, and off we went. The only thing leaving your ignition on in the accessory mode will do for you is give you a dead battery at your destination on your tow vehicle.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:06 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
No, as long as the steering wheel locks with the key out then there is no need to seat belt the steering wheel. There are certain vehicles that do not lock the steering wheel and for those vehicles the seatbelt is needed.
Old 08-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Which dolly did you purchase? Mine is a Stehl dolly and even if yours is from a different mfg, the information in this manual is very similar to all tow dolly's that have a swivel pan.

One tip from my experiences, purchase a set of straps for spares, as if you need one while travelling they can be hard to find. You can get them on ebay or amazon and they don't cost too much. ~CA
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stehl-Tow-Owners-Manual-2016.pdf (421.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-21-2021, 08:31 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Based on my experience, you do not need to tie down your steering wheel in your Corolla. In fact the only way you can remove the key from the ignition is to have the transmission in Park and that automatically locks the steering wheel.
I am about to sell my EZ-Tow dolly I've been using for over ten years because it does not have a swiveling table.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:52 PM   #8

i have a demco with the steer axle have had it for 14 yrs and wouldn't use anything else.
catmandoo62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly