Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:27 PM   #15
NXR

Quote:
After much studying, most of the advice I have read says that a vehicle without steering lock should use a tow dolly that does not pivot and if your vehicle's steering does lock the pivoting dolly is the best bet. Does this ring true with you folks who have used tow dollies?
Yes and no. The feds no longer mandate a locking steering column for anti-theft if there is some type of electronic immobilizer so many new cars do not have locking steering wheels anymore. Those folks still use a pivoting dolly and usually seem to use the driver seat belt to keep the steering wheel from turning.

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 07:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoozianaDave View Post
After much studying, most of the advice I have read says that a vehicle without steering lock should use a tow dolly that does not pivot and if your vehicle's steering does lock the pivoting dolly is the best bet. Does this ring true with you folks who have used tow dollies?
I do believe that in the instructions for the ACME dolly they say to make sure the steering is unlocked. If you have a locking column you could just leave the key in so it doesn't lock.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For seven years we used a Master Tow dolly and had zero issues with it. Sold it for almost what I paid for it when it was brand new.

Dollies have their pluses and minuses. What I find with people who hate them is they got the wrong dolly to start with. It should only take about 15 minutes to load and secure your towed onto the dolly without getting yourself filthy in the process. If you have to crawl under the front of your towed every time you want to hookup or unhook...its the wrong dolly or you are doing something the hard/wrong way.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
It may be cheaper initially to use a tow dolly. When you get tired of the hassle hooking, unhooking, etc. and switch to 4 down you realize the money was wasted. If you notice everyone who uses a dolly is so happy they switched to 4 down. I used an acme for 3 years and it was a hassle. I had no real problems. The acme is well built. I put up with it because all I had was front wheel drive cars. My wife convinced me I needed to get a different car. Got a JGC. Sold the dolly for 1/2 what I paid. It can work just be prepared for the hassle with dolly towing. I put 15k miles on my dolly coast to coast and more.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:04 PM   #19

We started out with a "Car Tow dolly", fixed platform and little bitty wheels, and removable ramps = what a hassle !!!!!!
We noticed the black marks (skidding) at every gas station that required sharp turns to get in and out of.
Finally went to a "Master Tow Dolly", swiveling platform, fifteen inch wheels and fixed loading ramps = MUCH easier to load, and no skid marks with sharp turns.
We pull a Dodge mini van with our Pace Arrow.

Mike in Colorado
Old 06-25-2021, 10:53 PM   #20

Consider 4 down you will thank me later. Used a demco tow dolly myself at first (real pain in the butt). Not only much more involved to hook and unhook unless you always use pull through sites you will need to disconnect and drag it around .
Dragpipes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #21

Turning in tight places

Flyer15015, since you are pulling a minivan which is longer than the vehicle I will be towing, has it been harder to make tight turns (like in gas stations) with the swivel unit as opposed to the non-pivoting unit?
LoozianaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoozianaDave View Post
Not here, I have towed 1 with locking and 2 different toads without locking steering.

All 3 have been with a pivot style StehlTow dolly. I do not tie the steering wheel in any of the cars.

As a matter of fact, there is only one tow dolly that does not pivot, all of the other brands pivot or steer.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #23

Dave,
I find the pivoting "Master Tow Dolly' a whole lot easier, and we have been in some very tight spots where we were at full left lock and immediately had to go to full right lock with the coach, and NO skid marks from the dolly.

Mike

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly