Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #1

Tow Dolly info?

Hoping to find some advice here. I am looking at buying our first tow dolly for our motorhome. It seems through my research so far that the biggest differences in dollies (other than some being a lot better built) is that some swivel and some do not. What are your opinions on these two options? Also, what are your opinions on brakes for said dollies? I will be pulling a 2018 Mazda CX5 with our motorhome that has a 454 engine. Thanks in advance.
LoozianaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2021, 09:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoozianaDave View Post
Hoping to find some advice here. I am looking at buying our first tow dolly for our motorhome. It seems through my research so far that the biggest differences in dollies (other than some being a lot better built) is that some swivel and some do not. What are your opinions on these two options? Also, what are your opinions on brakes for said dollies? I will be pulling a 2018 Mazda CX5 with our motorhome that has a 454 engine. Thanks in advance.
I would definitely go for a pivoting platform. It gives smoother turns and it just feels safer overall. Mine has surge brakes. They work fine and allow functionality when using with any tow vehicle.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:03 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
First piece of advice with tow dollies is don’t. Figure out a way to flat tow. If you do decide that you have to have a tow dolly you want one without ramps that you pull the pen and the whole daily tips to drive on second do you want the one that pivots in the center so when your car is on the dolly The steering wheel is locked and the front wheels are strapped down tight so they cannot move. If I was to buy a brand I would buy a Demco
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had one that swivel and you locked the steering wheel in the toad. The dolly will more follow the MH and not cut the corner as sharp.

As your take a corner. Your rear wheels of the motor home will track inside where you front wheels tracked. The dolly and rear wheel of the toad will be further inside the corner. The solid axle dolly will have the rear axle of the toad further into the corner then a steer axle.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:42 PM   #5

I have been using a Stehl Tow dolly that swivels, has surge disc brakes, and tilt bed with fixed ramps for 7 years and over 35,000 miles.

Pull a pin, tilt the ramps down and drive up. Once up, they level out and you put the lock pin in. No handling of ramps that need to be stored or retrieve.

Where the dolly tracks behind the motorhome depends on the overhang of the MH, behind the rear axle.

The dolly on My 25 ft MH tracks in the same track of the rear tires, never cutting corners short. When I had my 30 ft class C, the dolly tracked wider then the MH rear tires. If leaving a curb to sharp, the dolly tire would hit it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Another vote for a well-built dolly with surge brakes and the pivoting wheel platforms. Electric brakes work fine, but then you need to install a brake controller on the coach.

And last, I heartily endorse 4-down vs dolly. The extra convenience of 4-down is worth the money (to me, anyway).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:35 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As much as I want to go 4 down, it is much cheaper to do a dolly setup. Plus, I can tow almost any vehicle without having to install any hardware to each different vehicle I'd like to tow. And, I just saw today a 2wd suv being towed backwards today so I know that 2wd dollying is possible (my full size pickup and suv are 2wd). I was able to pickup an "American Two Dolly" for cheap and in almost new condition. It has the larger 14" wheels and has electric brakes and it's own brake controller. It has the rotating cradle and I can see the advantage that option provides.

Toad: 2011 Fiesta on an American Tow Dolly
chefred112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:03 PM   #8

I definitely wouldn't use a dolly that doesn't have brakes, regardless of the toad weight.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:39 PM   #9

I use an acme to tow our Toyota Sienna. https://cartowdolly.com/

I’ve been from Maine to Key West with it and it’s been pretty reliable. The few minor issues I’ve had, I’ve emailed the company and got a solution from the owner himself. They’re a small outfit out of North Carolina.

The main reason I chose them was weight. We are limited to 5000lbs, and the Acme dolly only weighs less than 250 lbs. Some of the other fancy swiveling and tilting ones can weigh almost 3 times that.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Hopefully your CX5 is not AWD because the AWD version can only be towed on a trailer so that all of the car's wheels are off the ground.

Ray
Old 06-09-2021, 07:56 PM   #11

Tow dollies have their issues no doubt but also benefits. We have and EZ Tow that we bought about 3 years ago in North Carolina from the manufacturer. Great quality, surge disc brakes, galvanized and can be stood upright for easy storage. Dolly weight is about 330# so relatively easy to be moved around. This dolly does not have a pivoting front and the steering needs to be unlocked and transmission in neutral to tow. We have towed over 10K miles with two different vehicles. I have no issues with tracking behind our 40ft DP. That said the dolly is not without its issues. Straps for wheels stretch and wear. The need to be replaced about every 1 to 2 years. Curves and turns can cause straps to slip off the tire, even when tight. I have experienced this on more than one occasion. Towing with the key in the ignition can draw down your battery. I learned this the hard way on my last trip. I recommend installing a switch on your battery negative terminal to disconnect all power when on the dolly.
NOLAfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAfolks View Post
Tow dollies have their issues no doubt but also benefits. We have and EZ Tow that we bought about 3 years ago in North Carolina from the manufacturer. Great quality, surge disc brakes, galvanized and can be stood upright for easy storage. Dolly weight is about 330# so relatively easy to be moved around. This dolly does not have a pivoting front and the steering needs to be unlocked and transmission in neutral to tow. We have towed over 10K miles with two different vehicles. I have no issues with tracking behind our 40ft DP. That said the dolly is not without its issues. Straps for wheels stretch and wear. The need to be replaced about every 1 to 2 years. Curves and turns can cause straps to slip off the tire, even when tight. I have experienced this on more than one occasion. Towing with the key in the ignition can draw down your battery. I learned this the hard way on my last trip. I recommend installing a switch on your battery negative terminal to disconnect all power when on the dolly.
I had the strap slipping problem before too. 2 ways I fixed it.

The two hooks on the straps, move them to the lowest of the attachment points, the last one at the end of the strap. This will wrap more of the tire in the strap. Then adjust the width to make sure as much of the strap is down on each side of the tire sidewall as possible. I haven’t had a slipping issue since.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:44 PM   #13

Check out Demco and Landgrebe, both have caster steering and fixed ramps. Both are well built.
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:39 PM   #14

After much studying, most of the advice I have read says that a vehicle without steering lock should use a tow dolly that does not pivot and if your vehicle's steering does lock the pivoting dolly is the best bet. Does this ring true with you folks who have used tow dollies?
LoozianaDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly