Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:12 AM   #1

tow dolly issue

I have a Demco Kar Kaddy 2, leaving Tuesday on a trip. My vehicle is a 2017 Hyundai santa fe, steering wheel does not lock. What is the method for towing this vehicle. Have seen several ideas.
Thanks
lonestarpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2017, 01:58 AM   #2

Wrap seat belt thru steering wheel and the move seat back to tighten.

I tow unlocked steering and do nothing with my swivel plate dolly. Works fine.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:32 AM   #3

Me too. No steering lock. If you had one you would need to leave unlocked.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with your question but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
If you had one you would need to leave unlocked.
Would that depend on the design of the dolly or do you leave the steering unlocked on all dollies?
Old 12-30-2017, 02:57 PM   #6

I have been told on any kind of dolly.

Now I am new to this dolly towing and did a lot of research. My former boss that lives close by and is a good friend has been towing a vehicle of some type back and forth from Maryland to Washington State for many years. He has gone as far as disassembling the steering column and grinding off the lock tab. You will see post here and elsewhere that discuss disconnecting the battery. That's so you can keep the key on to unlock the steering.

My dolly has a swivel plate.

https://theusatrailerstore.com/premier-car-tow-dolly/

I have about 2500 miles towing with it now and have learned not to make sharp turns and you just can't back up. When you get to your destination take the car off of the dolly on flat ground and straight. I have had the swivel plate jammed after unloading at an angle after turning into the pull thru site. No biggie, I just used the wheel straps winch to pop it loose.

Gas stations are always a challenge. I have also learned to start looking at 1/2 tank and don't take any chances getting to the pumps.

Sudsy
Old 12-30-2017, 03:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Me too. No steering lock. If you had one you would need to leave unlocked.
No, not on a Demco. I doubt that it makes any difference whether it's locked or not on a Demco. We have towed several vehicles from Explorers to VWs on a Demco.
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
This is a very interesting post. We have a Tow Master tow dolly with swivel plates. I have always had the toad's front wheels locked in park, and have never even thought about it. Hmmm.... This has never been an issue, so apparently, it doesn't matter if the front wheels are locked. Or maybe that's why the yellow tie downs get a little loose. Our Toyota did just fine on it.
And, I agree about looking to fill up when you get to about 1/2 empty. I had to back up about 3' once at a station and that's about all you can get away with.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
This is a very interesting post. We have a Tow Master tow dolly with swivel plates. I have always had the toad's front wheels locked in park, and have never even thought about it. Hmmm.... This has never been an issue, so apparently, it doesn't matter if the front wheels are locked. Or maybe that's why the yellow tie downs get a little loose. Our Toyota did just fine on it.
And, I agree about looking to fill up when you get to about 1/2 empty. I had to back up about 3' once at a station and that's about all you can get away with.

Now we are talking about unlocking the steering not the transmission. I keep my Escape in Park and the steering column doesn't have a lock. Our Ford Explorer is the same way. I can dolly that too if we would need a 7 passenger car.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, one particular stop on our way south meant that I had to unload the dolly and unhook it to get propane. No other option. I usually had to do it in the snow. I just didn't want to chance our furnace quitting.

PITA!!
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:22 PM   #11

From the Demco website: "Shift loaded car into “park” and lock steering wheel with front tires in a straight position. If the car does not have a locking steering column the steering wheel must be tied securely with front tires in a straight position."

I use the seatbelt method if needed.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #12

Confusing conflicts

I have been in this same conversation I think on this same forum and came to the same conclusion. Do it however you want to do it. The only advantage to locking the steering that I can see is in the event that the dolly separated or the car fell off the steering would park it neatly on the shoulder of the road.

I pull mine with no locked down steering. Never had a problem so far.

Sudsy

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly