Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #1

Tow Dolly, Magnetic Brake Lightstrip usage

I pull my Auto on a Camco tow dolly. As most of you know, the brake, turn signal, emergency lights are attached to the wheel well covers on the tow dolly which when the car is on the tow dolly, half the car is hanging out and the brake, turn signal, emergency lights are not as VISIBLE as you would like them to be.

There are small details of the project that I have not included. This is a preliminary description of the project. If anyone wishes more detailed info, I'll gladly provide them. I attached photos of the magnetic brake light strip attached to the back Tailgate of my car. Zoom in to see details.

Yes, I looked into flat towing for those of you who will comment on this option of resolving the challenge. Since, I'm not planning on purchasing a new vehicle. I thought of an inexpensive, but extremely secure VIABLE solution to have a Magnetic BRAKE LIGHTSTRIP attached to the back of the towed vehicle without complicated wiring. The brake Lightstrip systems are available in different lengths. Mine is exactly 48" long.

I used a brake lightstrip system to accomplish the project. You'll see these brake Lightstrip used on trucks. However, I used the adhesive on the Lightstrip and the adhesive on the Kraftex super Magnetic Strips which will attach to the lower back door hatch of my car. I had to cut the Kraftex Magnetic strips lengthwise with utility knife, easy, to attach it to the brake Lightstrip. I needed strong magnetic strip to accomplish the job. The Kraftex Magnetic strips provide strong Magnetic hold that other lighter strips did not.

I also, installed a clear door edge protector on the bottom of the back hatch door. This will provide an area for the magnetic signal brake lightstrip to sit on and be MORE secure. Trust me, the brake light strip will not move. Of course, you have the option of buying and attaching the Magnetic Brake Lightstrip anywhere on the back of your towed vehicle. As well as using a longer brake Lightstrip if necessary for your car. The system will adjust to your needs by modifications.

The connections will run securely through the inside of the vehicle come out through the bottom front driver door, continue on through the dolly and connected to the -Y - 4 pin connection to the coach. The tow dolly lights will work and the new brake Lightstrip will work, also. This will insure more visibility of brake, turn signal, emergency lights to the drivers behind you.

Of course, some will comment on connecting it to the towed car light system. I know. I just didn't want to complicate matters. Also, I can detach/remove magnetic brake Lightstrip system and store it when car is in use. The long connecting insulated wiring running through tow dolly, through the car is disconnected from magnetic brake Lightstrip and stored on the tow dolly. You can have several connecting wiring strips. What I did works for me.

This way, I didn't have to spend over $300 for a Magnetic Brake light kit. If you want more info, let me know.

I'm at an RV campground and will not be leaving for a few more weeks. As soon as have it all connected, tow dolly to coach, car on tow dolly, magnetic brake Lightstrip on car, I'll include more photos. I can and will take more photos of wiring harness from coach you tow dolly. By the way, I have tested the system and it works great.
TORTUGA GRANDE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200220_170613.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	275769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200218_120549~3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	275770  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200218_120542~2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	275771  
PURALIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURALIFE View Post
I pull my Auto on a Camco tow dolly. As most of you know, the brake, turn signal, emergency lights are attached to the wheel well covers on the tow dolly which when the car is on the tow dolly, half the car is hanging out and the brake, turn signal, emergency lights are not as VISIBLE as you would like them to be.

There are small details of the project that I have not included. This is a preliminary description of the project. If anyone wishes more detailed info, I'll gladly provide them. I attached photos of the magnetic brake light strip attached to the back Tailgate of my car. Zoom in to see details.

Yes, I looked into flat towing for those of you who will comment on this option of resolving the challenge. Since, I'm not planning on purchasing a new vehicle. I thought of an inexpensive, but extremely secure VIABLE solution to have a Magnetic BRAKE LIGHTSTRIP attached to the back of the towed vehicle without complicated wiring. The brake Lightstrip systems are available in different lengths. Mine is exactly 48" long.

I used a brake lightstrip system to accomplish the project. You'll see these brake Lightstrip used on trucks. However, I used the adhesive on the Lightstrip and the adhesive on the Kraftex super Magnetic Strips which will attach to the lower back door hatch of my car. I had to cut the Kraftex Magnetic strips lengthwise with utility knife, easy, to attach it to the brake Lightstrip. I needed strong magnetic strip to accomplish the job. The Kraftex Magnetic strips provide strong Magnetic hold that other lighter strips did not.

I also, installed a clear door edge protector on the bottom of the back hatch door. This will provide an area for the magnetic signal brake lightstrip to sit on and be MORE secure. Trust me, the brake light strip will not move. Of course, you have the option of buying and attaching the Magnetic Brake Lightstrip anywhere on the back of your towed vehicle. As well as using a longer brake Lightstrip if necessary for your car. The system will adjust to your needs by modifications.

The connections will run securely through the inside of the vehicle come out through the bottom front driver door, continue on through the dolly and connected to the -Y - 4 pin connection to the coach. The tow dolly lights will work and the new brake Lightstrip will work, also. This will insure more visibility of brake, turn signal, emergency lights to the drivers behind you.

Of course, some will comment on connecting it to the towed car light system. I know. I just didn't want to complicate matters. Also, I can detach/remove magnetic brake Lightstrip system and store it when car is in use. The long connecting insulated wiring running through tow dolly, through the car is disconnected from magnetic brake Lightstrip and stored on the tow dolly. You can have several connecting wiring strips. What I did works for me.

This way, I didn't have to spend over $300 for a Magnetic Brake light kit. If you want more info, let me know.

I'm at an RV campground and will not be leaving for a few more weeks. As soon as have it all connected, tow dolly to coach, car on tow dolly, magnetic brake Lightstrip on car, I'll include more photos. I can and will take more photos of wiring harness from coach you tow dolly. By the way, I have tested the system and it works great.
TORTUGA GRANDE
Wireless tow light bars exist and are so easy to use. Towtrucks have them nowadays.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brake lights, dolly, light, lights, tow, tow dolly