RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #1

Tow Dolly manufacturers

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I am interested in purchasing a Tow Dolly to tow a 2012 RAV 4 behind my Valencia Renegade. We are not full timers, most of our towing will be in CA, NV, AZ. Any suggestions to which one to buy and why?

Thanks in advance.
stanlow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2019, 08:04 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
It won't matter what make you get, but I like having one with surge brakes.
Surge brakes will always work for you, and the newer ones have a spring that will keep them from dragging and overheating on a long downhill run.
Just my 2 cents, others may have more ideas
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #3

I like the tilting bed, fixed ramp, turntable tire plate, type of dolly with standard 14" tires and surge brakes.

MasterTow or Stehl Tow brands both offer all of that.

I have over 35,000 miles on my Stehl Tow dolly.

Its about time for brake pads and tires but it's been trouble free so far.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I like the tilting bed, fixed ramp, turntable tire plate, type of dolly with standard 14" tires and surge brakes.

MasterTow or Stehl Tow brands both offer all of that.

I have over 35,000 miles on my Stehl Tow dolly.

Its about time for brake pads and tires but it's been trouble free so far.
My new STEHL Tow Dolly has surge brakes, and DISC BRAKES.....the reason I bought it! A very nice product!

Ordering a new 2020 coach and an going to "dinghy" tow with a tow bar, so won't be using it....brand new...used once! Oh well..."live & learn"!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:29 AM   #5

We have a Demco Kar Kaddy and I love it. It is heavier and bulkier than the others, but it is made by the #1 dolly builder in the US. It has a galvanized chassis, hydraulic surge brakes with discs, 14" tires, the draw bar and ramps fold up for storage space, and it has a nose wheel. It has a fixed plate, but the wheels will turn as you do and makes it follow that you don't even know that it is back there. Some complain about the weight, but you aren't carrying it. You can find them on Craigslist at very reasonable prices. Ours was so new that the nubs weren't worn off of the tires and we got it for less than $2500 and it will probably outlast me.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:57 AM   #6

I also have the Demco Kar Kaddy SS that we use to tow a VW Golf. Highly recommend !
We've gone cross country with it and it has been perfect for all of our travels.
Easy to load, all galvanized construction, ramps fold up and boom swings for easy storage in back in sites. Surge brakes with discs and 14 inch chrome steerable wheels with full size ST tires for long service. All LED lighting as well.
It's a solidly built unit with all the safety features you need for trouble free towing.
CGKMGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:45 AM   #7

+3 for Demco. We had 2 of them over the years. Took some trouble free 5000 mile trips with them. They are wide enough to handle just about anything.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tow Dolly manufacturers

While I probably agree the demco SS is probably the best it is the most expensive unless you steal one used somewhere. Iíve had a roadmaster reasonably priced which was ok but the one Iím currently using a , American Tow Dolly is the simplest and easiest Iíve used. Swivel bed , removable ramps , works with my low clearance car ( not your issue) solidly built Free delivery .. about 1700 bucks all in.
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

I'm a flat-tow guy so can't help with the tow dolly info.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Acme EZE Tow

I bought an Acme EZE tow with surge brakes a year ago. I have put around 6000 miles on it without any problems. The trailer comes with disc brakes and is lighter and easier to move around than the other tow dollies. Yes, you will have to move it sometimes by hand! Regardless of the dolly you purchase I would highly recommend surge brakes over electric brakes. Less things to go wrong. One loose wire on electrics and you will be out with your tester. I don't think there is a wrong decision on tow dollies. Go to each website and read all of the sales literature. Good luck
gedlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #11

Reading some comparison literature can offer old information.

ACME literature lists drum, electric brakes and standard lights on the Stehl Tow dolly.

I bought mine 5 years ago and it came with LED lights and surge disk brakes.

Don't always believe the glossy brochures.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Reading some comparison literature can offer old information.

ACME literature lists drum, electric brakes and standard lights on the Stehl Tow dolly.

I bought mine 5 years ago and it came with LED lights and surge disk brakes.

Don't always believe the glossy brochures.

Twinboat if you read my post it notes, "Go to each website and read all of the sales literature." I'm sure Stehl makes a fine tow dolly. I don't have a horse in the race, just passing on my experience.
gedlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly