Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2015, 12:36 AM   #29

Sir, what I said, I said almost, in jest. I have been on the road, full time, since April and can assure you that what you observed is not the normal sitituation. There is far to much going on in front of operators, to concentrate on minor lane position adjustments.

I carry a CDL, have Emergency Vehicle Operator Training ( EVOC ), and have driven trucks my whole career including some tractor trailers. I have also taught CDL training. We are not trained, nor going to attemp to ride a lane edge, marker, as a courtesy to passing vehicles.
With any kind of wind, the operators are lucky to remain in the lane at all. With riding the edge, the truck or tractor trailer, also risks drifting off the pavement edge, causing the rig to swerve, back on.

I have watched combo units ( Fed X) roll down the Interstates, wandering like snakes.

If you perceived tractor trailers, giving you extra room, I would suggest, that it was due to your admitted inability to remain in your lane, while dolly towing, with a poorly aligned vechicle.

Enough of the thread drift.

Enjoy your trip.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Sir, what I said, I said almost, in jest. I have been on the road, full time, since April and can assure you that what you observed is not the normal sitituation. There is far to much going on in front of operators, to concentrate on minor lane position adjustments.

I carry a CDL, have Emergency Vehicle Operator Training ( EVOC ), and have driven trucks my whole career including some tractor trailers. I have also taught CDL training. We are not trained, nor going to attemp to ride a lane edge, marker, as a courtesy to passing vehicles.
With any kind of wind, the operators are lucky to remain in the lane at all. With riding the edge, the truck or tractor trailer, also risks drifting off the pavement edge, causing the rig to swerve, back on.

I have watched combo units ( Fed X) roll down the Interstates, wandering like snakes.

If you perceived tractor trailers, giving you extra room, I would suggest, that it was due to your admitted inability to remain in your lane, while dolly towing, with a poorly aligned vechicle.

Enough of the thread drift.

Enjoy your trip.
I observed it while driving my current MH which handles like a dream.

Obviously you are a pro semi driver so your word is the final say. I must have just imagined the semis staying to the right. Silly me. (I jest)

I do have my dash cam going all of the time, so I might just post some video evidence of semis staying to the right.

I always enjoy my trips (I'm on the road now) hope you enjoy yours.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
bottom line,its the money,
731shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:37 AM   #32

Tow dolly or tow bar

I have done both. I own a dolly & I tow 4 down. If we are going someplace with family & need a larger vehicle I will use the dolly.

I far and away prefer to tow 4 down. I would say the cost is probably near the same.

Just your choice.

And I drive the middle of the lane.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:04 AM   #33

Money is only part of it. If one has multiple vehicles capable of being towed it can be a big part. It takes us a few minutes to load a vehicle onto the dolly and connect the lights. If towing 4 down connecting the vehicle probably takes about the same time. I can't see how it can take any less than connecting the dolly. That leave the time it takes to put on the wheel straps vs the time it takes to set up the brake buddy or whatever and pull any fuses. Straps do not take long as it is only a matter of hooking the basket ends and running the strap through the ratchet. It might take more time than the brakes but is only a 5 minute job anyway. Some people would rather play with the tow bar and some don't mind straps. Cost is part but only part. By the time you figure out all the other costs involved the difference between a towbar and a good dolly is not that great for somebody full time. Vehicle choice can be a bigger one for folks towing their daily driver.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #34

Started off with a tow dolly and within 2 years sold it and the car and bought something we could tow flat. Much, much easier to hook up and unhook, don't have to find a place to put the dolly on the site and less weight on the RV. Will never go back to a dolly. We have flat towed a Scion and now a Kia Soul. We buy cars with stick shift.
Johkashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Hope you enjoy your travels...

f involved in design/maint of roadside engineering, wouldn't you admit things ARE NOT always to specs...and roadside trees and shrubs have a funny way of growing into the road.

And, we always read about the guy that set-up to flat-tow for $1.99 with this-and-that from a swapmeet or Craigslist. As an expert about a recent commercial/retail flat-tow set-up install...care to share how much that can cost?

Safe travels
Scarab-I'm at a campsite on the road. My files with the receipts on the costs are at home. When we get back (should be next week) I'll put together the costs on the flat tow.

I wouldn't recommend to anyone to scab together a tow setup. Just too much can go wrong with used/abused equipment. I went with a great installer with a very knowledgeable staff. About Us - Schuling Hitch Company
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #36

We picked up our CRV yesterday after having tow equipment installed. Total was about $3900 plus tax for parts and labor. That includes:

Roadmaster Falcon off road tow bar.

Roadmaster Invisabrake system.

Brackets for Roadmaster rock shield and storage bracket for the back of the MH. (We bought a used rock shield).

Wiring on MH for brake signal and conversion to 6 wire plug.

The installation of the Invisabrake included adding a separate light socket for lights, brakes, and turn signals. The fuse switch was not needed since the Invisabrake sends a trickle charge to the toad battery when the running lights are on.

We towed it about 75 miles home and really like it over the dolly. BUT, the used dolly only cost us $1200.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 731shadow View Post
bottom line,its the money,
Meh, I'd say it's less about the money and more about the vehicle you want to tow. For me I need something that can comfortably accommodate a family of four and all of our stuff (stroller/cooler/camera gear/etc). Our CX-9 fits the bill for that, a CRV does not. Our CX-9 cannot be flat towed, therefore we use a dolly. Pretty simple really. I'd like to be able to flat tow my vehicle (none of my three vehicles can be flat towed actually) but it's simply out of the question. For me it's more important to have the vehicle I prefer than to compromise just so I could flat tow.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly