Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2017, 06:00 AM   #29

Thank you !! 12 inch wheels actually. The tires are 22 inches tall.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE Tow View Post
Now if what you are seeing is one side or the other "yawing" away from the front of the dolly, this is probably what is happening.

In the video you will see that in a turn the outside wheel will "yaw" away from the front of the dolly a few inches. ( watch the safety chain go from slack to tight and back to slack ) As the RV, dolly, and towed car return to true straight the outside wheel will return to the front of the dolly. If you are getting out of your Coach and looking at the outside tire and it is "back" an inch or more, then it is because the Coach, Dolly and towed car are still in an arch or radius. The tire has not yet returned to its resting position. If you pull forward until all three are true straight and aligned and one or both tires are still not drawn up tight to the front of the dolly, then you need to pull the car up and retighten the straps.
This is why I always find a long straight area to check my straps. I know if the car and coach are not straight the outer wheel will be back from the stop. I only do a strap check when the entire setup is straight.

One other note on brake fluid, it should be checked routinely before any trip. A surge system reservoir is not very large by design (unlike a car) and brake pad wear and piston movement can deplete the reservoir if not monitored.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn E View Post
I have a Landgrebe tow dolly with electric brakes and steerable tires. I have towed approximately 45,000 miles with no issues. I have towed a Pontiac G6, a GMC Terrain, a Toyota minivan (all front wheel drive) and a rear wheel drive manual transmission BMW. I have no association with Landgrebe but liked the fact that they are a US owned small business in Indiana. I picked mine up but they will ship. Check out their website. I have yet to see another one on the road but get asked about it a lot at campgrounds. Good luck with your search.

Shawn
I have seen these before, but didn't know the manufacture. They are pretty cool with lots of different options available. Thanks for the info.

John
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #32

Acme EZ Tow Dolly

We have towed three different cars behind two different DP coaches,with no issues. We felt dolly towing gave us much more flexibility as far as vehicle choices..Straps and positioning take practice and patience,but really are not an issue. Have stored the dolly upright past two winters,never leaked a drop. Always find Acme customer service to be excellent.Common sense practices will insure excellent performance.IMHO.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #33

Mid Atlantic Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Acme EZE Tow Dolly with Hydraulic Disc Brakes.
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #34

What are "basket straps", I currently use an Acme tow dolly with hydraulic surge disk brakes and the belts are a PITA. Pictures please
Old 07-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas RV View Post
What are "basket straps", I currently use an Acme tow dolly with hydraulic surge disk brakes and the belts are a PITA. Pictures please

These, I just bought a set.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Towing...p-Hooks-2-pack
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #36

This probably seems like a no-brainer to some, but I just purchased a new Tow Master with surge brakes. My issue is probably a nit-pick, but my state (Illinois) requires the tow dolly to be licensed. There is no place to mount the license plate. I have looked everywhere for a bracket that will mount on the bottom of the tail light. Finally, found Master Tow sells one on their website for $24, but by the time you pay the freight it costs almost $40. Seems to me like this is something that should be included and already installed for the price you pay for these things.
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:50 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
This probably seems like a no-brainer to some, but I just purchased a new Tow Master with surge brakes. My issue is probably a nit-pick, but my state (Illinois) requires the tow dolly to be licensed. There is no place to mount the license plate. I have looked everywhere for a bracket that will mount on the bottom of the tail light. Finally, found Master Tow sells one on their website for $24, but by the time you pay the freight it costs almost $40. Seems to me like this is something that should be included and already installed for the price you pay for these things.
On my Stehl dolly I use a small motorcycle size plate and bolt it direct to the fender. At night I duct tape a small harbor freight led light to the fender.
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #38

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
On my Stehl dolly I use a small motorcycle size plate and bolt it direct to the fender. At night I duct tape a small harbor freight led light to the fender.
Dan, thanks for the response, but boy do I feel dumb. I live in Illinois, my dealer is in Missouri. He told me tow dollies do not need to be licensed in Missouri, but they do in Illinois, so I took the Bill of Sale to the local license service and they charged me all the appropriate fees for a trailer license, gave me a temporary tag, and sent all the required paperwork off to the Secretary of State's office. I got home and had all kinds of issues figuring out how to attach a bracket to my Master Tow dolly, finally ordered a bracket from Master Tow, which was a bear to install. Then, this morning, low and behold, I discovered Illinois does not require the tow dolly to be licensed as long as it is substituting for one set of wheels on the towed vehicle and the towed vehicle is licensed. Money not so well spent on either the license or the bracket. Another of the hundreds of lessons I have learned in the almost one month I have owned my motor home.
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #39

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
My KK-460 came with a flip up/down plate bracket. I almost never towed the dolly empty so I didn't need to license it. If I had towed it empty then WA law requires a license on the dolly, with a car on it no license plate is required. Strange law but that's WA for you!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #40

I can attest to the above explanation from Acme. When I unpacked my newly delivered dolly I discovered brake fluid had leaked over the paint at the hitch area of the tongue, it had actually removed the black paint from that area. I had it standing in my garage and I could see it was still slow weeping from the rubber cap. Being in Canada I knew return was not a great option with shipping and border crossing so I contacted ACME and was immediately offered a new rubber cap, a new top cap and new decal. In addition I was given instructions on bleeding the hydraulic brake system and repainting. Bleeding took 5 minutes and I bought a can of Black Tremclad Enamel and repainted the area...blends right in. I used very little so I have lots left for future stone chip touch ups.
In addition, Acme offered me a spare set of Wheel Straps for my trouble, this was a very nice gesture and I received the straps very quickly along with the caps and decal.
Since I replaced the rubber cap I have been storing the dolly upright in my garage with no leaks.
In my opinion Acme Customer Service stepped right up. They also sent me a set of the new Cordura strap covers at no charge, these help prevent abrasion of the straps.

I am happy to hear that Acme is working with their supplier to find a better cap system, I only hope it can be retrofitted to my model. But at the moment the new rubber cap is not leaking.

I think ACME Customer Service stepped up to my problem and I am happy with the dolly's performance.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Stehl Tow dolly. No problems with lights. Surge brakes, disk brake pads under half warn with 25,000 miles towing a Kia Soul. 14" tires still look great.

Fixed ramps. I don't need to crawl under to attach or worry about falling off while loading. The ramps have never contacted the underside of tow car. Some say they could.

Put a shopping cart type caster wheel near hitch. Wife and I each push a fender to move around like a tricycle. Still fits under rear of MH.

Threw out safety chains. I clamped vinyl coated, steel cable to the whinch bar and push a looped end thru wheel openings and use spring latch hooks bolted to old safety chain holes.

Have never kneeled or crawled under it.

Each fender has a small crack, not worried about them yet.

Can send pictures if wanted.

Master Tow about the same dolly. They have plastic fenders.
Twinboat, would you have a pic or two of your hold down straps/chains?
Old 08-06-2017, 04:53 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
I tow a Ford Edge on a used 2008 Kar Kaddy SS with drum surge brakes. I did away with the chains & use straps through the wheels. Upgraded the straps that hold the tires as my Edge has 20" rims.
Where did you hook the straps to the dolly
JJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly