Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #57

I am looking to get a tow dolly and thought one of the benefits of the Acme dolly was being able to stand it up, out of the way. According to a previous post, the brake fluid leaks out? Is that correct?
If, in fact, that is an issue, I guess there are any number of dollys that would be fine?
Thanks,
Wm
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
I am looking to get a tow dolly and thought one of the benefits of the Acme dolly was being able to stand it up, out of the way. According to a previous post, the brake fluid leaks out? Is that correct?
If, in fact, that is an issue, I guess there are any number of dollys that would be fine?
Thanks,
Wm
Had our ACME for 5 years, stowing upright when not in use.... No leakage noted.
geoff1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:24 AM   #59
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The reported leak was a bad cap. Acme would replaced that for free under warranty. But that owner probably wanted a new dolly due to paint. And that is not usual.

Yes, standing a dolly up when in storage is a GREAT option. Doesn't typically work with Pivot pan dollies (it wants to pivot over and fall) nor with typical vented surge brakes equipped dollies.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:33 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerB4 View Post
Pictures of this "tire chock" please!

Chocking the wheels and not allowing them to move back in a turn will put increased stress on the car. This is how the system works.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
This probably seems like a no-brainer to some, but I just purchased a new Tow Master with surge brakes. My issue is probably a nit-pick, but my state (Illinois) requires the tow dolly to be licensed. There is no place to mount the license plate. I have looked everywhere for a bracket that will mount on the bottom of the tail light. Finally, found Master Tow sells one on their website for $24, but by the time you pay the freight it costs almost $40. Seems to me like this is something that should be included and already installed for the price you pay for these things.

You might need to get some more information regarding the licensing of a tow dolly. Case and point, if ANY state required tow dollies to be registered (licensed), then EVERY tow dolly that UHaul has would be required to be registered as UHaul rents equipment in all 50 states (including Illinois). Being a UHaul dealer for over 20 years, there has never been a tow dolly with a license plate on it. I also have sold tow dollies for the past ten years and have never seen a license plate bracket on one (maybe a hint). Not to confuse a tow dolly (TD) with a UHaul Auto Transport (AT) which is required to be registered (licensed)). If you want to “see for yourself” just stop by your local (Illinois) UHaul rental location and try to find a tow dolly with license plate. If ANY o e state had such a registration requirement, EVERY UHaul tow dolly would be required to e registered (licensed) as every piece of UHaul equipment may be dispatched to ANY/ALL UHaul location in ANY state. Including Illinois.
chuck.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:56 AM   #62

In British Columbia, Canada, registration is required and a plate must be attached to the dolly. I found an inexpensive license mounting bracket that was easy to attach to the fender by drilling a couple of small holes in the plastic. I was surprised a mount did not exist on the new dolly but from reading above it seems most of the USA doesn't require a plate.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:22 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck.s View Post
You might need to get some more information regarding the licensing of a tow dolly. Case and point, if ANY state required tow dollies to be registered (licensed), then EVERY tow dolly that UHaul has would be required to be registered as UHaul rents equipment in all 50 states (including Illinois). Being a UHaul dealer for over 20 years, there has never been a tow dolly with a license plate on it. I also have sold tow dollies for the past ten years and have never seen a license plate bracket on one (maybe a hint). Not to confuse a tow dolly (TD) with a UHaul Auto Transport (AT) which is required to be registered (licensed)). If you want to “see for yourself” just stop by your local (Illinois) UHaul rental location and try to find a tow dolly with license plate. If ANY o e state had such a registration requirement, EVERY UHaul tow dolly would be required to e registered (licensed) as every piece of UHaul equipment may be dispatched to ANY/ALL UHaul location in ANY state. Including Illinois.
Chuck, you are correct. Illinois does not require it to be licensed when used as a tow dolly, as long as the vehicle being towed is licensed. If you are not towing a vehicle on the dolly or if the toad is not licensed, the tow dolly does have to be licensed.
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #64

You need to let the tires walk back and forth on a Acme dolly.

The only turning is being done by the cars tires. Automobile front end geometry is designed in a way that the inner tire steers more then the outer tire due to a shorter track of the inside tire. That keep tire wear down.

The outer tire will also need to move foward while the inner tire moves back in a turn. That's because the tires are out away from the pivot point.

This can be demonstrated by turning your steering wheel while sitting in park with your foot off the brake. The outer tire will rotate foward and the inner tire will rotate back as you turn the wheel.

Tying the car down so it doesn't walk a bit in the straps and you will be scuffing the dolly tires and stressing the strap connection points.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly