Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2012, 03:53 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just had a look at the Acme dolly online, having never seen or used it before. From what I know about dollies, that's a piece of junk! It looks like something that was welded together in high school special-ed shop class using material from the scrap pile. Sorry to sound harsh but, that's a terrible abomination to call a tow dolly. Someone called that the most advanced dolly on the market? ROFLMAO!! They're smoking some GREAT stuff for sure! $1600 for that thing is about $2000 too much!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #58

We just purchased an EZtow dolly used. It was built in July of this year and was never used. We just towed our Hyndai Sonata over 300 miles and could not be happier. It is so simple, easy to load, tie down, and move around by myself. We will be looking at some kind of temporary fastener so that we can load on gravel when it becomes necessary. For my money ($800.00) this is a great tow dolly.

I agree with those that say this is a chev/ford argument. Do your research and purchse the one that meets your needs.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey peoples, lets all agree to disagree. The primary idea I'mm getting from this thread is that we should all drive 65' 6" whozzits, with 15 slides and 12 air conditioners. We don't and we all have reasons why we bought what we did and that's basically it.

We all run what we brung so why argue over who's is best or more righter. Sheesh!!!
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
HI Wardy,

I would like to reply to your reply on my post.

1st My name as written is Tom and not Tommy, however I repond to Thomas sometimes. Some of my friends used Tommy when I was a kid but since I'm 73 years old they use Tom and I would appreciate you do the same. Thanks

2nd Electric brakes do not operate by deceleration. They do operate by electric voltage being applied to a magnet in the brakes that move the pads against drum thereby stopping the dolly. The adjustment on the controller is a potiometer that controls the amount of voltage.

3rd So Wardy please check your information before you say something.

Lastly surge brakes operate on deceleration and that the car is trying to catch up. As previously stated they work on "inertia."

PS
To the post about the dolly not having wheel wells for different width cars, the Roadmaster tow dolly has adjustments that can adjust the width of the wheel wells.

Tom, Since you like "ehow" here you go: There are two basic types of electric brake controller: the proportional and the time delay. Proportional controllers, sometimes also called inertia controllers, have a mechanism that determines how rapidly the tow vehicle is stopping and modulates the power to the trailer brakes proportionally.

Again Tom, both types of brakes must determine how much (varying) force to apply to the shoes. That is where the term inertia comes in.

Read more: How Electric Trailer Brakes Work | eHow.com How Electric Trailer Brakes Work | eHow.com

Surge brakes AND modern electric exert force using the same principals. I've had both types and it's just a preference thing, advantages and disadvantages to each.

BTW, my family and wife sometimes still call me Tommy
Old 09-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Hey peoples, lets all agree to disagree. The primary idea I'mm getting from this thread is that we should all drive 65' 6" whozzits, with 15 slides and 12 air conditioners. We don't and we all have reasons why we bought what we did and that's basically it.

We all run what we brung so why argue over who's is best or more righter. Sheesh!!!
Hi fellow Canadian! I couldn't agree more that we all buy what we can afford. My MH is 13 years old and my toad is 16 years old...and those are "new" vehicles to me! However, none of this changes the fact that that Acme abomination is nothing more than a train wreck between a scrap pile and a case of welding rods. If it's an affordability issue, buy used. You can find a WAY better tow dolly for little more than half that money, used.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHogg View Post
I just had a look at the Acme dolly online, having never seen or used it before. From what I know about dollies, that's a piece of junk! It looks like something that was welded together in high school special-ed shop class using material from the scrap pile. Sorry to sound harsh but, that's a terrible abomination to call a tow dolly. Someone called that the most advanced dolly on the market? ROFLMAO!! They're smoking some GREAT stuff for sure! $1600 for that thing is about $2000 too much!
This what I'm talking about! A person that has never seen or used it...but so much hate! I have never seen any topic that brings out such venom...not even Ford vs. Chevy

I am a U.S. military veteran and currently a Federal Agent, so NO have never smoked any great stuff, and I listened to my Mother too, so I just say nothing if I don't have anything good to say

As far as buying what we can afford, I could buy any dolly I have seen...and would get a Demco 460SS, 'cuz that's a very good dolly too. But I don't need a 460SS, the EZE-Tow is well made, reliable, and inexpensive too.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
I am a U.S. military veteran and currently a Federal Agent, so NO have never smoked any great stuff, and I listened to my Mother too, so I just say nothing if I don't have anything good to say
Sorry Scarab0088. It's not hatred you detect, it's an opinion, voiced in a passionate and descriptive manner. I don't believe you said this was, "The most advanced dolly available" so I'm not sure why you're taking offense to that comment.

My comments are simply my opinion, none were personal attacks and I don't believe I ever brought into question anyone's reasons or wisdom for purchasing what they choose to. It is however still my opinion that this dolly is inferior. You may feel the same about some of the products I've purchased, and that's your opinion, I would never discourage you from voicing it, but I don't have to agree with you.

Besides, do all U.S. Military veterans and Federal Agents completely abstain from a little recreational release from time to time?

My apologies if I hurt your, or anyone else's feelings. That was not my intention.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #64

Quote:

From reading both of your posts, many of us have a good idea of what you
know about dollys.
And you seem to think it's clever to make fun of
mentally-challenged kids, "welded together in high school special-ed shop class".
I'm sure all those who have such special kids in their family will be very
amused by your sarcasm.
And I doubt that you are, "Sorry to sound harsh", you seem to truely enjoy
it, since you go on and on in 2 posts.

Quote:
Hi fellow Canadian! I couldn't agree more that we all buy what we can afford. My MH is 13 years old and my toad is 16 years old...and those are "new" vehicles to me! However, none of this changes the fact that that Acme abomination is nothing more than a train wreck between a scrap pile and a case of welding rods. If it's an affordability issue, buy used. You can find a WAY better tow dolly for little more than half that money, used.

Wow, for someone that doesn't own one and has never used one,
you certainly have a colorful opinion about them. And to think you gained all
this knowledge by one visit to their web site and you have never even
seen one, that's amazing.
Maybe if you had a useful comment to make, you wouldn't sound so
mean-spirited by making sarcastic comments that only show your lack of
knowledge about ACME dollys.
So I must say that I totally disagree with you, because if I did agree with
you, then we would both be wrong.....eh.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #65

How in the world could this thread have turned in to such a personal bashing commentary. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Lighten up and Grow up!

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
How in the world could this thread have turned in to such a personal bashing commentary. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

Lighten up and Grow up!

Don

You're right Don. I've already apologized for hurting anyone's feelings and I'll do it again. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. I obviously voiced my opinion too graphically for the audience and for that I'm truly sorry. I didn't intend to and don't believe I bashed anyone personally but if anyone feels I did, I am truly sorry. Perhaps I'm more accustomed to the tone and audience on the many other forums I take part in. I'm new here and I remain rightly scorned and set straight. My initial post was actually meant to insight a chuckle rather than the response it got, I am truly sorry for missing that mark. I promise to voice my thoughts in a far less descriptive manner in the future and I will refrain from any attempts at a chuckle on this forum, my intent is never to inflame nor hurt anyone. I'm not sure how much better I can say it. I'm sorry.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #67

ACME EZ tow.

You are all right.
There is no perfect dolly or anything for that matter, but it is hard not to agree with RoadHoog comments...
Especially after reading the ACME advertisement and constant bragging how much better is their product over competition!
What bugs me the most is their claim that "drum braking dollys need manual brake adjustment" - in case of Demco 460 Kar Kaady SS it's a lie!
They are eqiupped with SELF ADJUSTING "automotive" style 10 inch diameter drum brakes and they are more than capable of slowing down design weight.
By the way most heavy duty trucks, and buses use in the USA and Canada are still using drum brakes - don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they are better than disc brakes, they are simply adequate for the job of stopping up to over 100000 pounds rigs.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man View Post
I have one of those acme tow dollys and I don't like it much. .......
Just curious as to what you were towing on your dolly, as I have had some of the same issues, and I'm willing to bet it's more the car than the dolly.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #69

I am looking to buy a dolly by years end to tow a Cadillac DTS (4009 Lbs.). This thread has been very informative and a lively read…thanks to everyone for their input and candid opinions!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #70

Well, my Demco is now over 20 yrs. old, painted it a couple of times, several tires, new straps, brakes no longer work, BUT --- sealed bearings never replaced, framework still strong, king pins still tight, car follows the 45' coach around the corners good, still the same ratchet tie down -- So --- over all -- it has been a good product!!
Zephyr08Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly