Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 06:19 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Tow Dolly Question ?

I Retired from NHRA Drag Racing Last February and sold My Car and Race Trailer and now in Full retirement mode.
I planning on my annual Trips to Florida and would like to tow my 1999 GMC Denali But on a Dolly. It has the Neutral system for the Transfer Case so that isn't a concern. The Truck Weighs about 4500 lbs Curb weight. Tow vehicle is my 1992 American Eagle 8.3 450 hp So power and stopping isn't a concern. I've been researching Dolly's and my 1st priority is a Braking system .
Concerns: The small ST 8 ply tires bother Me a little--Will they hold up with approximately 3000 lbs of front end weight ?
Does anyone here Use a Dolly for Tucks of this weight ?
Which MFG Dolly would you recommend ?

Thanks
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #2

I tow a Honda Ridgeline, 4 door pickup, on a Stehl Tow dolly, with surge brakes.

Look up StehlTow and input your zip code. They will list dealers where you can see the product.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tow dollys have a GVWR, typically 3000-3500 lbs. Enough to carry the front axle of a many vehicle, but yours would be running at or above max load all the time. Obviously tires are going to wear faster than a lighter load.

I used a Master Tow dolly for one travel season and they specify a dolly GVWR of 3500 and max vehicle weight of 4900 lbs (the dolly weighs about 500 lbs by itself). It also uses a 2" ball coupler rated for 5000 lbs, as I recall. Stehl dollys are about the same. Maybe some others have a higher capacity?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Tow dollys have a GVWR, typically 3000-3500 lbs. Enough to carry the front axle of a many vehicle, but yours would be running at or above max load all the time. Obviously tires are going to wear faster than a lighter load.

I used a Master Tow dolly for one travel season and they specify a dolly GVWR of 3500 and max vehicle weight of 4900 lbs (the dolly weighs about 500 lbs by itself). It also uses a 2" ball coupler rated for 5000 lbs, as I recall. Stehl dollys are about the same. Maybe some others have a higher capacity?
American Car Dolly. GVWR of 6500#. Best design, materials, construction. As a racer you will immediately recognize the quality and robustness of the steel and the welds. No thin wall round tubing or bolt and nut connections to vibrate apart except for the large main pivot plate bolt.
https://americandolly.com/
For electric brakes I highly recommend the proportional Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller over the pendulum style Gary sells. I found Gary the designer, fabricator, owner and deliverer to be very easy and helpful to work with.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 02:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the Tips ! Very helpful Indeed ! I called American Dolly --No Answer and no return call as of now- But I like the specs on His Dolly. I'm also looking at a Stehl ST80TD Seems adequate for the task. I don't care for the Tire Specs on either- I rather have 15 in Alum Wheels and at the very least an E Rated or even an F rated ST Tire. I already have a Techonsha Brake Controller in he Cockpit -- Don't care for the American Brakes. Here's the Spec's on my Truck

My 1999 Denali Weight Specs. Curb Weight - Rear (lbs)2327Gross Axle Wt Rating - Rear (lbs)3686Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Cap (lbs)6300 Curb Weight - Front (lbs)2584Total Weight* *-- just*@ 4800 lbs
Front vehicle weight on the Dolly would be 2584 lbs- from what I've read the model #ST80TD Specs show Axle weight 3000lbs---Am I figuring correctly*?
Thanks
Old 01-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #6

I see all of the StehlTow dollys listing 13" tires in the specs.

When I bought mine, back in 2014, it came with ST205/75R14, load range C tires.
I replaced them last year, after about 30,000 miles, with the same tire in a load range D, because I was towing a heavier vehicle.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:08 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
NHRA225,

Have some patience with Gary @ American. He does most, if not all, deliveries across the country. We purchased the 9' dolly back in July. It took almost 2 months to actually receive it...but the wait was worth it.

I would suggest to text Gary at that 970 number on his website, it is his cell.
He admittedly missed a couple of my "calls" but later I found he responds better via text, at his request.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will probably find the Denali is towable four down or on a trailer but not on a dolly!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 05:32 PM   #9
NXR

Unfortunately not too much info here but some of the ads are interesting: https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorh...inghyGuide.pdf

"Towing your vehicle" starts on page 5-8. Looks like there are some significant speed limitations if it's not on a trailer: https://my.gm.com/content/dam/gmowne...kon_owners.pdf

55 MPH unless it has an electric shift transfer case. Then it's 35 MPH and only for 50 miles.

HTH,

Ray
Old 01-13-2021, 07:02 PM   #10

Thanks Guy !
My Original Manual states the truck Transfer Case can be placed in Neutral and I've tested that many times. Also it can be towed all 4 down behind a MH- It doesn't mention any speed limit limitations at all Nor warnings Nor how many miles it can be towed. If I place it in Neutral on a tow Dolly -It's still in Neutral as if all four down only 2 wheels moving . I don't want to overthink this so I'll call my Dealer in the am to confirm exactly what I want to accomplish. Tow Dolly behind My Horse diving to Florida in 3 weeks.
Can't wait for American that long to build a Dolly .
Old 01-13-2021, 09:57 PM   #11

Check Craigslist. You might get lucky. ACDs are built like tanks.
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Thanks Guy !
My Original Manual states the truck Transfer Case can be placed in Neutral and I've tested that many times. Also it can be towed all 4 down behind a MH- It doesn't mention any speed limit limitations at all Nor warnings Nor how many miles it can be towed. If I place it in Neutral on a tow Dolly -It's still in Neutral as if all four down only 2 wheels moving . I don't want to overthink this so I'll call my Dealer in the am to confirm exactly what I want to accomplish. Tow Dolly behind My Horse diving to Florida in 3 weeks.
Can't wait for American that long to build a Dolly .
Pretty sure you can't tow it on a dolly. Four down, or on a trailer are your options. Or with a driveline disconnect.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:58 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
To be sure have your vehicle weighted is really the only way to know your exact configuration. I use a Demco Kar Kaddy SS. It has a self contained braking system.
cmtnrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #14

Update !
Talked to my GMC Dealer and to my go to Mechanic Racing Buddy who rebuilt My NP246 Transfer case and my 4L60E Transmission 6 years ago.
Both have stated that My 99 can be Towed either 4 Down or up on a tow Dolly.
Once placed in Neutral (Tow Mode) the Transmission is disconnected from the drive line and the Drive Shaft will turn but plays no role at that point -So no need to be concerned with the D-Shaft or the Fluids and Clutches in he Transmission. Just hookup and Go !
As far as weight Spec's are concerned- My front end on the Dolly will be aprox-2584 lbs- Still well under the 3000 lb Limit.
Next- I found a near New Stehl ST80TD with Elect Brakes under 2000 miles for a Very Good price.
Still not Happy with the Little Tires- Gonna Replace those with ST205/75R15 LR E 2100 lbs GWR ea along with 2 New Aluminum Wheels with Easy Lube Caps

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly