Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 09:05 AM   #57

Triple E Owners Club

Those are the ones. 👍
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #58

Hmmm that looks interesting, I have seen numerous car haulers with those, I wondered how they hold!

It is a Hybrid ... it burns both gas AND money!!
ttarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:07 AM   #59

It would be great if the single strap worked with car dolly's. I know that they are often used on car haulers, but in that application the cars are only potentially moving from front to back. On a dolly the wheels do turn a bit, and for that reason I would be concerned about their safety. All of the ads selling the single strap say that they are for car haulers, not car dollys.
There has to be some alternative to the cage strap system though. Mine had abraded half way through the strap after only 400 miles.... It appears that I will have to spend $89, per side, at ACME Tow Dolly....
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #60

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we still used the KK-460 dolly I always drove a few miles, then stopped to check the straps. I could almost always tighten them some.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would recommend contacting Mac's Custome Tie Down, Professional Tie Down Systems for Any Vehicle

I used to use a tow dolly with the wheel nets and I now use an enclosed trailer. The wheel nets if purchased to fit a specific tire size work very well, one of the advantages of a dolly or trailer is you can take multiple different vehicles.

Mac's sold me some wheel straps with a pad so they don't scratch my wheels. One of my big issues was the space between the wheel and the disc brake was too small to get the hook on the ratchet strap through the space, the wheel straps only have a Delta ring on one side so the soft loop can fit through the space between the wheel and disc brake, then the Delta ring goes through the soft loop.

I have struggled with my various set ups for many years, but with the wheel straps I haven't had any issues so far. Good luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtstriker View Post
Mine had abraded half way through the strap after only 400 miles.... It appears that I will have to spend $89, per side, at ACME Tow Dolly....
Where was the abrasion? They can only abrade if they rub something, there is a sleeve available that slides over the strap to prevent abrasion also. I need to reach across the top of the tire to "tuck" my strap down past the strut and the inner rim. 5000+ miles and no wear on the straps. Google "cargo straps", several different venders of abrasion strips, cheap, cut it to length with scissors. I use it where the web goes into the winch.

Got mine here Cordura Wear Sleeves for 2 Webbing (Purchase by Linear Foot) [CORDURA2]
Old 06-04-2015, 12:05 AM   #63

Good tips folks, thanks.....
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdsl View Post
Btw, I have the tandem tow hdxl.
Can I ask what it cost? I would love to take my spyder with me in addition to my toad.
lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:43 AM   #65

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I have used dollys with the turn table and also rack and pinion steering. I prefer the steering units. We use a Demco Kar Kaddy III. It has surge brakes and LED lights. You can also get the one that lets you fold up the ramps and tongue for storage.

I have towed everything from my Ford Explorer to my Corvette on it. Usually it's my wife's VW Passat.

The only issue is getting under the front end to attach the safety chains. Wish they'd come up with a fix for that.
Question...does the tow dollys with turn tables require the steering wheel to be locked? Our car has push button start with no steering lock.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:10 AM   #66

No steering lock required.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:51 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
It was $7k. Way too much I know, but the quality is very good and I do have options like the 8' deck and the aluminum rims even for the spare, as well as 2 Condor motorcycle chocks, all led lighting, 48" rock guard. I've seen a lesser quality unit cost the same money.
Bigdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #68
D-S

National RV Owners Club
We just recently bought a Tow Master dolly that has a turn table... here is a couple of modifications that we made:
1. we welded our own rackets to the dolly because of the configuration of the OME design.
2. after using the nylon straps that came with the dolly, we elected to build our own chain harness. the webbing on the straps are not sewn in place and we ended up fighting them to get them in place,, the chains work very nicely!
3. I think my pivot pin/bolt is a little too tight so i will loosen that a little bit makes loading you car easier when the dolly is straight.

good luck in your research!!!
Old 06-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #69

Triple E Owners Club
Here's an update on my EZE-tow.
I'll definitely be using my single strap with rubber tread locks instead of the wheel nets that come with the dolly. I find the wheel nets need more retightening than the single strap. The inside of the wheel net rubs the strut tower a lot and the outside has already left deep rub marks on the alloy wheels.
Lost both rubber grommets that hold the tail lights in place. Lucky the wires kept the lights from disappearing but they sure got beat up. New grommets and zap straps should keep them in place now.
This is after about 2000 miles into a 10000 plus mile trip.
This is the only dolly I have used. It seems to be working okay. It tracks good and I love the surge brakes. Fairly easy to move around when I need to.
I don't care what anyone says but it does leave black skid marks on the pavement when turning sharp.

Dave
1999 Triple E Signature 35.5
Cat 3126B
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:09 PM   #70

Tiffin Owners Club
Towed for the first time on my new EZE-tow today. All seems to have gone well, but I am astonished at how filthy my car is now. Is this normal? I can write my name on the surface with my finger, looks like it's covered in volcanic ash. Yikes.

Terry
BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly