Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 06:44 AM   #1

Tow Dolly "Sticks" in turned position, dogtracks..

I recently bought a used tow dolly, and just tried using it for the first time. It is the type which is designed to "pivot" while cornering..
The problem is that it tends to "stick" (remains in the fully turned position) even after the corner is completed.. Of course, this causes the tow dolly to dog-track as it is towed along, and it even damaged the left fender, which made contact with the running board on my 96 Chevy Silverado pickup truck, bending the fender in such a way that it dug a big gouge in the tow dolly tire.
I removed the fender. (which I can fix and reinstall) and returned back home, and today I will need to either find a way to cure this problem on this dolly I have, or go rent one..one way or another, I would like to safely depart today on my trip out of state, if possible.
I will have to reinstall the driveshaft and pull my truck off from the dolly, then I am considering just putting a couple of 1/2 inch bolts in to make the tow dolly completely NON-Pivoting.. I realize that a pivoting type of tow dolly follows the tow vehicle somewhat better, but here is my question :
If I bolt his tow dolly so it remains in the straight ahead position at all times, will this cause any issues ? Also, should I have the steering wheel locked (on my pickup) while I am towing it ? Is it considered OK to rely on the steering column lock mechanism to hold the steering wheel in place, or should I also add a ratchet strap to secure it ?
The trailer I own is not quite wide enough to carry my pickup, so I will need to either use the tow dolly or flat tow method..
I would very much appreciate any advice on how I should handle this issue, especially from any members on here who have used tow dollys of both types (pivoting and non pivoting)
I am going to go out there this morning, reconnect my driveshaft and take the truck off from the dolly, then I will check back here on the site to see if any replies..
BeenThereB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #2

First look to see if the nylon rubbing blocks are missing and that the pivot bolt isnt to tight. The plate on mine moves easy with my foot.

If you have a swivel plate dolly, steering locked is recommended.

If you secure the swival plate, you must unlock the steering, otherwise you will skuff off the tire tread in turns. Something has to steer.

In a last ditch effort, back the truck on, lessening the weight on the dolly. Lock and tie the steering straight.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #3

dolly sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
First look to see if the nylon rubbing blocks are missing and that the pivot bolt isnt to tight. The plate on mine moves easy with my foot.

If you have a swivel plate dolly, steering locked is recommended.

If you secure the swival plate, you must unlock the steering, otherwise you will skuff off the tire tread in turns. Something has to steer.

In a last ditch effort, back the truck on, lessening the weight on the dolly. Lock and tie the steering straight.
I am putting a very stout 1/2 inch hardened grade 8 bolt through the front of deck at center of frame.. thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it
Old 12-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #4

Let us know how that works out. If there is any room for movement, I think it will wallow out the holes or break.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Let us know how that works out. If there is any room for movement, I think it will wallow out the holes or break.
Got it very tight, shimmed with flat washers very sturdy, so going to give it a try,, Will keep a close eye on it though. Have to check the tie downs periodically any how.. Thanks again.. I'll let you know how it worked,

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly, tow dolly sticks