Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2022, 02:51 PM   #1

Tow dolly straps

Hi to all,
The basket style straps that I have that came with the dolly actually chafe the paint on my wheels. I've tried adjusting but they still overlap the tire and rub the painted wheel itself. My question would be, is it mandatory to use that style strap or could I use the single strap style. I've noticed that car carriers just use a single strap over the center of the tire and some are at a pretty exaggerated angle as well. I would think a single strap would be sufficient with safety chains as backup. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Bob
BobbyT49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2022, 03:11 PM   #2

The single strap works on car carriers because the car never corners.

With a dolly, if you turn sharper then the dolly limits, there is side stress on the straps and could slip off the top of the tire.

Maybe you can modify your straps to ride higher on the tires.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 03:27 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you order the correct size straps for the tires on your toad, you should not have that problem. It took me while to find the correct straps when I used a tow dolly.
Fitchburg, WI
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 11:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The single strap works on car carriers because the car never corners.

With a dolly, if you turn sharper then the dolly limits, there is side stress on the straps and could slip off the top of the tire.

Maybe you can modify your straps to ride higher on the tires.
Thanks twinboat,
I'll keep that in mind, however, my front wheels turn in unison with the dolly and considering my coach's turning radius is pretty pathetic, I don't see how I could exceed the limit, but better safe than sorry. The straps I have are rated for 14-17 inch tires and I have 17inch tires, but they still overlap onto the wheel. I guess it's time to improvise a little. Thanks for the responses.

Drive safe out there, Bob
BobbyT49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyT49 View Post
Thanks twinboat,

I'll keep that in mind, however, my front wheels turn in unison with the dolly and considering my coach's turning radius is pretty pathetic, I don't see how I could exceed the limit, but better safe than sorry. The straps I have are rated for 14-17 inch tires and I have 17inch tires, but they still overlap onto the wheel. I guess it's time to improvise a little. Thanks for the responses.

Drive safe out there, Bob
If you have the one brand of dolly that turns the cars wheels, you defiantly need basket straps. Just watch the video of your dolly cornering, the tires have to shift back and forth under the straps.
When cars corner, the inside tire turns sharper then the outside tire, by design.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 02:35 PM   #6

We used ring adjustable straps on our RAV4 with 17" wheels and could adjust them to go over the top of the tire but not so low as to damage the wheels wheels. I feared that if they got too low behind the wheel they'd damage brake lines, so I kept them adjusted high. They did go below the top of the wheel a bit, but the tire ballooned out enough they didn't run.

The straps came from Mastertow, but they should be available from other sources.

Do you have a photo of your car loaded that shows the straps?
Old 09-26-2022, 02:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We bought the US Cargo straps as recommended on this forum. They have twin hooks on the front and are much better made.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EYWBGEI...v_ov_lig_dp_it
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 03:04 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a Master Tow Dolly and use the straps that are adjustable. They work great on my Toyota Camry Hybrid. They are the 2nd set of straps on this page. They go for 65.59 plus shipping but work great.

https://www.mastertow.com/product/?p...&category_id=3
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:19 PM   #9

Thanks for all the responses. I'll check those links and go from there. Maybe I'll just duck tape the wheels. LOL
You all be safe out there.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly