Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #29

Hi Twinboat,

Is it around the axle you put the chain or through the wheel itself?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL02 View Post
I’m joining this discussion and hope my question is appropriate. We have the opportunity to buy a used ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar from our neighbor. I hear lots of good things about flat towing. Being a newbie to Rving and towing, I would love to get folks’ opinions, pro and con, about this specific brand. And, of course, your own specific preferences about are welcomed too.

We have used one for 8 years and think it works well. Search this site for ReadyBrute and you'll find lots to read
Old 07-15-2018, 09:08 AM   #31

I just switched frkm a dolly to flat tow for a few trips a year, flat tow with the NSA ready brake is quick and easy, the dolly was not a show stopper just took a little longer.

Dolly for me was taking up room in the garage and evently when going full-time i will flat tow, probaly not the same toad but cost will be low switching as i have most if the setup already.

One positive about the dolly is i can get in & out of my driveway all hooked up, flat tow the bar digs in so i need to connect / disconnect somewhere else which is a parking lot 2 miles on my way to the highway.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi Twinboat,

Is it around the axle you put the chain or through the wheel itself?
Thru the slot in the wheel. I reach inside the wheel and push the looped end of my cable to a short chain and hook, with clip, on the outside.

Pictures to follow.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #33

Thanks Twinboat,

I appreciate it.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have a tow dolly for towing our FWD Jeep Cherokee. I'd say it takes us about 20 minutes to drive it on the dolly, strap the wheels down, and hook up the safety chains. I use vinyl coated chains through the wheel slots. We just bought a tow bar and braking unit for our 4X4 F150 and will be flat towing that too.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #35

Hi Dennis,

An f150 will be some toad :-)
Old 07-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi Dennis,

An f150 will be some toad :-)
For the size difference, they are surprisingly close to the same weight. The Cherokee dry weight is 3900 lbs and the tow dolly weighs 300 lbs. The dry weight of the F150 is 4801 lbs.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #37

I am surprised an f53 is that light.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #38

As we will be purchasing a dedicated toad my wife would love it to be a convertible. The problem with a convertible is it cannot carry our Kayaks on the roof.

This may not be doable but I think its worth asking anyway. If ita not doable then a hatchback with roof racks is the way to go.

The convertible would need to be a 4 seater as we have a 60lb lab.

Yakups sell a Hitch mounted Kayak carrier which has a hitch pass through. The mount and 2 kayaks would be ball park 150-175llbs.

So that leaves 325-350lbs of tongue weight.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:44 AM   #39

We have done both. The dolly sure gives you a lot more options. I really didn't mind the dolly but I like flat towing much better. We found a '13 CRV with everything to flat tow already setup. Storing the dolly was a pain at home. The tow bar hangs on the garage wall and the brake on a shelf next to it.

When we get to the campground the DW goes in to check-in. By the time she comes out, the toad is un-hooked and she drives it to the site following me. The tow bar, safety cables, electrical hookup, etc. all stay on the back of the MH ready for when we leave.

Either way has advantages and disadvantages. It's up to you to decide what works best for you. Good luck in your search.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:56 AM   #40

For the amount we would tow a dolly seems the most economical. Also the toad can be easily changed.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #41

May be a bit late for the OP's question but here is my experience.

I was flat towing an old MDX for a year but then we bought a Prius which required switching to a dolly. I picked the Acme. After a year and a half of dolly towing I purposely bought a new vehicle to flat tow because I found the dolly to be a real PITA.

Specifically, lying under the Prius to attach safety chains to the control arms, having those chains fall out of the banjos and drag on the highway several times, multiple ramp attempts to center the vehicle on the dolly, having to lug the ramps back and forth each use, the width of the dolly wheels is the same as the motorhome while flat tow is a narrower toad, registering and insuring the dolly is required in BC (another vehicle cost), tires were almost to the wear marks after 5000 miles, carrying a spare wheel and tire, having to deal with moving the dolly about and storing it (fairly heavy for me), master cylinder plug leaking when stored sanding up ..
it got to the point I didn't want to stop unless I could find a pull through because unloading and reloading was not fun. First remove the car, then remove the dolly and manhandle it out of the way so I could back the motorhome into a space. The reverse all that to load up again...flat towing is so much easier and more convenient.

I know all the pros and cons of a dolly and it allowed us to take our Prius south but if flat towing is an option for your vehicle then in my experience that's the way to go. The Acme dolly has been sold never to return.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:46 AM   #42

We use our MH quite a lot, not full time (not interested) and opted for the convenience of flat tow. My toad in signature is very light, easy to setup, and unless you’re looking for the connecting points, not very visible. I bought the Sonic as it is one of a diminishing breed of flat towable automatics. My DW won’t discuss her learning to drive a stick (also a diminishing breed). I chose not to dolly toad simply for the convenience, one less thing to mess with. There are times when I get the new car bug, like now, but calmer brain cells override. I’m happy with the Sonic and plan to keep it a while longer. The cost of getting a new vehicle set up to tow (once you have the towbar) is basically a rounding error in the overall cost involved. Many people pay more for a new golf club.

I had for years not towed anything, and if the destination was fairly close the DW would follow me in a car. Longer distances would involve either a rental, taxi, or public transportation if available. While it can be done, towing something somehow leads to a much better trip.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly