Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2023, 10:38 PM   #43
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshalone
Problem is the Equinox can't be towed more than 6 hours without running, and there is quite an interesting series of stuff to go through when it is hooked up (shutting various things down) and a maximum of 65 mph speed (i drive at 60-62 but coming down mountains you easily go up past 65.
You might want to re-check your owners manual. There is no set time or mileage for running the 2018 Equinox engine except at the beginning of the day and at the end. The other requirement is to run it for five minutes "at each fuel stop". The purpose is just to circulate transmission fluid occasionally.

The setup is pretty easy to us. Start the engine and let it run for five minutes, put the car in Neutral, tap the Start button with your foot off the brake to stop the engine. If you have AWD it must be turned on to flat tow. (We have a 2020 Equinox Premier AWD.)

At a stop I get in the car, step on the brake, and tap the Start button. After five minutes I get back in the car but keep my feet outside to avoid accidentally stepping on the brake, tap the Start button to kill the engine, and lock it up.

If the charge line is adequate there really is nothing that must be shut off.

As for mountains, I just use the brakes or engine brake to hold my speed. One place I don't want to be picking up speed is going down a mountain or even a hill.

I had the dealer check the 9-speed transmission fluid after 10,000 miles of being towed, because one of us gets lead-footed..., and they said the color and smell were perfect.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2023, 10:52 PM   #44
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor082
Focus is under 3,000 pounds so no braking system is needed in Texas. Yes, it is slow to stop and start but not much.
In case you're not aware, there is no reciprocity with towing laws between states as there is with driver licenses. That means you must follow the towing laws of the state where you're driving (unless you never leave Texas).

Also, a vehicle's braking system, in this case the motorhome, is designed and certified to only be able to stop the GVWR of the vehicle itself, never anything being towed.

Unless your motorhome actual weight when it's being driven is close to 3,000 lbs below GVWR you're over-taxing the motorhome brakes. You'll have higher wear and a longer stopping distance than you otherwise would.

If you've never had the motorhome weighed when fully loaded with people, water, and stuff you can check the OCCC sticker that usually is by the door or the door frame. Subtract the car's weight from the OCCC number and there's a pretty good chance you will have very little if any payload leftover to actually carry people, water, and stuff.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 04-17-2023, 11:39 AM   #45

I pitched pro’s and con’s on flat versus dolly for days but ultimately went with flat tow.

My “Dolly Dealbreakers” were:
Storage when not in use
More tires, wiring and moving pieces to deal with
Width - Being wider than toad, I figured that could be problematic for me

That said, personal preferences are like seasoning salt, some like a lot, some like none and some have no idea what it is…..
VKSheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 12:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysigel View Post
I've done both and they're both pains. The advantage of dinghy-towing are that you "just" hook up to your motorhome and you're good to go. Except, that's not exactly true. First, you need a car that can be towed on all 4. The number of cars fitting that description is decreasing. Then, it needs to be a car that has a base plate available and you need to have that installed ($$$). That's permanent and adds substantial weight to the car. Then you will need to have a tow bar ($$$). Next, you will want to be able to use the car not just for towing. So, it must fit your family size and your lifestyle. You will need to either wire the brakes lights and turn signals to the motorhome, or use magnetic lights that will scratch up your car's paint ($$$). Then you need a brake assist for the tow car and mechanism to power it. When you add all of that up, the cost of a tow dolly is actually less and you can tow any car (up to your motorhome's weight restrictions) that is a front wheel drive without having to modify the car. The dolly has electric brakes which require a brake controller to be installed near the motorhome's dash, but it costs about 1/10 the price of a dinghy braking system.

There are problems with the dolly. The dolly costs $3500 plus tax and has a 4200# weight limit. It adds a few more feet of length to your "train" and that can be a problem finding a long enough pull-through site in many campgrounds. It is difficult to get the car centered on the ramps and you can do it best with a spotter. You can hit the car's ground clearance on the dolly, ripping it off. You can drive over the top of the dolly, which is a disaster. I use a magnetic mount CB antenna on the dolly - when I hit the antenna, I stop. Getting the tire straps on is a pain. Yes, I sit on the ground to do it but I use a yoga mat. After driving a mile or so, you need to stop and re-tighten the straps. At every rest stop/fuel stop, you will need to re-tighten the straps. In spite of the yoga mat, you still get somewhat dirty securing the vehicle.

Currently, we tow a Chevy Bolt EV on the dolly. Its weight puts it near the limit for the dolly. Most EVs can NOT be towed except on a flat bed trailer, which is probably a non-starter. The Chevy Bolt EV is an exception. Prior to that, we dinghy-towed a Toyota Corolla S. It had a Brake Buddy or similar powered by a 12V deep cycle battery that was placed in front of the passenger seat, which we needed to recharge every night. We traded that car in for the Bolt - I'm not sure that was a good move due to the EV's limited range, charging issues and so forth.

As for which method is best, it depends. There is no clear advantage to one or the other. I think the dolly method costs less and is more versatile. Travel safely.
4200 lb dolly weight limit doesn't mean the car can only weigh 4200 lbs. That's the front of the car on the dolly, leaving some of the weigh on the rear tires.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 06:54 AM   #47

The best advice here can only come from those who have done both. And if you ask those who have done both, there will be only one clear answer, 4 on the floor!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:32 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
The best advice here can only come from those who have done both. And if you ask those who have done both, there will be only one clear answer, 4 on the floor!
Sounds like you didn't actually read through the thread. Many people who have done both have commented on this thread saying that both work fine, and there are advantages/disadvantages to each, some of which would make dolly towing preferable. Some of us who have done both, still plan to do both, depending on which car we're towing.
Old 04-19-2023, 01:04 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Sounds like you didn't actually read through the thread. Many people who have done both have commented on this thread saying that both work fine, and there are advantages/disadvantages to each, some of which would make dolly towing preferable. Some of us who have done both, still plan to do both, depending on which car we're towing.
This.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 09:12 PM   #50

First motorhome class A. Got a tow dolly off craigs list for 1300 bucks. Was a year old and was galvanized frame,led lights,4 sets of straps,hitch lock,surge brakes. Takes a while to find the best way to load but checking everything twice takes about a 1/2 hour to load. 20 mins to unload. Advantage is you can change vehicles with out adding hardware to them. It's light and can be rolled by hand or backed in empty if the site is got a slight angle to it. Usually I back the motor home over the top of it so it doesn't take up any room at the campground. Disadvantage is loading in the rain not fun. Laying on ground hooking up safety chains not fun. Always carry a sheet of cardboard to lay on or change clothes before driving rig. My toad is a 1999 GMC Sonoma 5 speed stick w/4 cylinder with reg cab and a cap to carry electric bikes. Truck weighs 3,200 lbs empty. Loading the dolly is just part of the rv experience just like dumping black tanks it's all part of it. Tow dolly is cheaper then flat tow equipment. That's what made me get a tow dolly.
Holland2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 07:52 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Sounds like you didn’t read my many post on this topic. The only advantage, and do truly mean ONLY is the lover cost with dolly towing over flat, having said that, you truly get what you pay for!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:24 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
Sounds like you didn’t read my many post on this topic. The only advantage, and do truly mean ONLY is the lover cost with dolly towing over flat, having said that, you truly get what you pay for!
Being able to tow the car one may already have. Being able to tow a much wider variety of cars. Being able to tow a car without modifications to the car. Being able to tow a leased or rental car that can't be modified.

There are more advantages than cost.

Similarly, there are also significant advantages to flat towing. (I prefer flat towing, but plan to continue doing both as I can flat tow one of my cars, and dolly tow three.) Both have multiple advantages and disadvantages.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:26 AM   #53

Jayco Owners Club
What’s with these safety chains and cables?? What are you trying to solve? Where is each end connected? What failure mode are you concerned with??

I use an American Tow dolly and my over the wheel straps are stored properly and kept in excellent condition. They are installed properly and checked for tightness after the first 10 miles and at each stop afterwards. With good straps installed properly over both wheels, why chains or cables??
lawingnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:35 AM   #54

Because one can never be too careful. I too am very careful to tighten mine down, retighten after I go around a corner or two, retighten after the first 4 or 5 miles, doing it right with good equipment and straps, and I’ve still found a strap loose and pulled off the wheel. Probably only happened when turning into the fuel station. But finding it that way twice in the last seven years or so, made me a believer in the secondary chains/straps. It is the same reason you have safety chains on the trailer or dolly to the tow vehicle. Tow long enough and something will go wrong. I don’t want whatever goes wrong to damage, maim or kill someone else and I’d like to limit damage to my own property as much as possible.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:39 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawingnutz View Post
What’s with these safety chains and cables?? What are you trying to solve? Where is each end connected? What failure mode are you concerned with??

I use an American Tow dolly and my over the wheel straps are stored properly and kept in excellent condition. They are installed properly and checked for tightness after the first 10 miles and at each stop afterwards. With good straps installed properly over both wheels, why chains or cables??
I couple my hitch on a big strong ball, so why do I need safety chains there. I keep them in good shape. Still use them.

Maybe the safety chains or cable will prevent your own car from riding over your dolly and rear-ending you, if someone plows into it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 09:40 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Tow Dolly vs. Flat Towing

Truth be told , safety cable or chains From the dolly to the towed car are not required. Safety cables for the dolly itself to the tow vehicle are.
The dolly has two straps , one holding each wheel. The chance two would come off are not likely. I have had straps loosen but never come off. To top that The dollys I have had had no attachment points on the dolly for safety cables or chains to the car. As a result I have never used them. Considered it yes but not done it. Too much trouble with no attachment points welded on. No crawling under anything in all these years. Maybe that’s why I never found it to be that much more trouble.
Btw if the car did somehow come off the dolly the transmission is in park and it’s coming to a quick stop .. no doubt.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly, towing