Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2023, 06:29 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawingnutz View Post
What’s with these safety chains and cables?? What are you trying to solve? Where is each end connected? What failure mode are you concerned with??
...With good straps installed properly over both wheels, why chains or cables??

The problem with straps is that they can easily be cut if they slip into a pinch point, etc.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2023, 11:59 AM   #58

dolly towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You have yet to see me and my DW load our car on the dolly. Less then 10 minutes and never kneel or crawl on the ground.

Safety chains thrown away and coated cables threaded thru the wheels in place of them.

I do see others struggling and rolling around on the ground and just shake my head.
I have been having trouble connecting the chains also. I have thought of running the chains thru a plastic tube as to not damage the wheels. I did not
think of cables. Where did you get yours and what is lbs rating?
Thanks for your comments. I don't want to get rid of the dolly.
dkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 01:53 PM   #59

My cables are the same ones used on tow bars.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:27 PM   #60

I purchased mine from Amazon.

You choose the ratings when you purchase. I purchased some with rating as large as my vehicle weighs.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:15 AM   #61

Looking for a good tow dolly

Anyone have a suggestion for a good tow dolly to tow my front wheel drive Nissan Kicks ?
Lapp7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:24 AM   #62

MasterTow or StehlTow. Fixed ramps with tilt bed , standard trailer tires, surge brakes so no controller wiring, led light.

Articulating tire tray, it pivots so your cars wheels aren't forced to turn in corners.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:29 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapp7660 View Post
Anyone have a suggestion for a good tow dolly to tow my front wheel drive Nissan Kicks ?
I picked up a used Master Tow Dolly on Craig's list for $500.00. It is an older generation, so no dolly brakes. I put regular Kuhmo 15" car tires on it, the same as on the '02 Grand Caravan we tow.
Three trips to Florida and no issues with it.

Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	701.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	396787  
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 06:54 AM   #64

Quote:

Don't overlook DEMCO tow dollys. They cost a bit more, but are first rate quality and worth every penny IMHO. I have the Kar Kaddy X (for it's lower profile) but they also have a folding model that many people like.

Happy travels!
Old 07-02-2023, 07:54 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
American Car Dolly

I started towing 4 down back in the 1980's. Then one day coming down a hill I looked in the sideview mirror and saw my Cherokee attempting to pass me. Base plate broke off and safety chains held a bit till I got it stopped. No more 4 down for me.

Since 2013 I have been towing on an American Car Dolly. Very well built and towed from Georgia to Alaska and back, and over 90,000 miles total in 10 years. We load up in 7-10 minutes with no problem. And no, I do not get on the ground to do it. Towed 6 different vehicle with this dolly over the years, 2 sedans and 2 SUV's, and 2 pickups (a Ranger and an S-10) with rear wheel drive which I tow backwards but with weight in the truck bed.

This is a perfect set up for us and I can't say enough good things about an American Car Dolly.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 07:48 AM   #66

American Car Dolly

American Car Dolly ? Is that Gary in Colorado or is there another American Car Dolly ?
Lapp7660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 04:56 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
American Car Dolly ? Is that Gary in Colorado or is there another American Car Dolly ?

Yes I assume. Have not talked to him in several years. Best info I see is this web site :http://americandolly.com
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 06:09 AM   #68

Jayco Owners Club
Yes, that’s Gary in Colorado.
lawingnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 07:39 AM   #69

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
After selling my dual axle auto hauler trailer (required extra space in the camp site; not always available) I ordered a dolly from Colorado. The owner brought it to my home in South Carolina and showed me how to hook it up. We used it for a few months however about every 45 minutes I would pull over and have to tighten one of the two tie down straps. Concerning and bothersome. We went with the Blue Ox flat tow system and it is so much quicker and simpler. Just my two cents worth. Happy camping.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 08:12 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshalone View Post
After selling my dual axle auto hauler trailer (required extra space in the camp site; not always available) I ordered a dolly from Colorado. The owner brought it to my home in South Carolina and showed me how to hook it up. We used it for a few months however about every 45 minutes I would pull over and have to tighten one of the two tie down straps. Concerning and bothersome. We went with the Blue Ox flat tow system and it is so much quicker and simpler. Just my two cents worth. Happy camping.
Every 45 minutes ?

Must have been something wrong.

I check my straps once in a trip at my first stop for a break or gas. One might need another click on the ratchet.

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly, towing