Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #15
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrigsby View Post
I believe that states have reciprocal agreements so that vehicles have to meet the requirements of the state in which they are registered. Delaware cars don't have to meet California emissions etc. Virginia doesn't require a special driver's license to drive a class A RV, so I'm good to go everywhere in the U.S.
Yes, with the stipulation that your "good to go" statement is only for the motorhome. A "trailer" is not a "vehicle" and there is no reciprocity on trailers. "Trailer" definitely includes "tow dolly".

But as long as you only tow the car in Virginia, yes, you are good to go with the dolly if you add brakes.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Yes, with the stipulation that your "good to go" statement is only for the motorhome. A "trailer" is not a "vehicle" and there is no reciprocity on trailers. "Trailer" definitely includes "tow dolly".

But as long as you only tow the car in Virginia, yes, you are good to go with the dolly if you add brakes.

Ray
Do you have a preference for your claim?
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #17

Beyond the legalities I'd be concerned about safety, particularly when going down a long grade.

Although not a big fan of surge brakes on trailers, I've always thought surge brakes on a dolly to be a good solution to the toad brake issue, and also something that allows opening up the number of vehicles that can be easily towed (basically anything with FWD).

I wonder if a dolly dealer takes trade-ins?
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:36 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The motorhome brakes are designed to stop a specific load and does not include excess loads on trailers beyond the chassis rating. The motorhome does not have a magical setting that determines if it has a trailer loaded with 3000# of rocks or a 3000# dinghy in tow. All it knows is that there is extra weight that now has to be stopped.

Trying to beat the laws of physics with legal jargon between a trailer and a towed vehicle is a hopeless exercise. The physics will win every time.

Ken
Old 11-01-2020, 10:40 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I can tell you if you tow in CA without breaks and get pulled over you will get cited even if your registered in a different state.

There are two categories we are dealing with one is safety and one is licensing. Safety laws are not reciprocated from state to state. These include towing requirements and limits, tire dates for age, legality of persons riding in towed equipment ect. The other is registration, drivers lisences requirements ect.

So if you tow you must meet the minimum requirements of the most restrictive state you will travel in.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:08 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Iron View Post
... I found that the only dolly that could handle both the width and weight was the EZE tow dolly. This came from published specs. +....
The American Car Dolly (both models) have a 6500 lb capacity and is available with electric brakes, Been using ours for over 70,000 miles, and it's built like a tank! Might want to look at that dolly manufacturer
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #21

In regards to this topic, how does U-Haul get by with no brakes on their tow dolly’s?
Has there never been an accident with a U-Haul dolly in the mix?
Old 11-06-2020, 07:04 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Uhaul has surge breaks on all there dollyís.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
Uhaul has surge breaks on all there dollyís.
Hmm..... Iíve rented a few the last few years, never saw surge brakes on the oneís I used.
Mr Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #24

They removed the surge brakes because of some technicality in the law, back a few years ago. The law was interrupted as needing driver control of the brakes.

That's since been changed and U Haul is now installing surge brakes on dollys again. Saw one a few days ago.

May have something to do with this too.

Phoenix, AZ - An Arizona state court jury cleared rental truck giant U-Haul of all liability on Thursday in a $30 million products liability trial over claims that the lack of brakes on a tow dolly caused a car accident that left a man permanently paralyzed.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
You don't need a breakaway system if you don't have brakes.

Ray
WA state doesn't specifically require brakes but you must have some type of system that will hold the unit still for 15 min om any normal highway grade
That's kind of hard to do without brakes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lars View Post
Hmm..... Iíve rented a few the last few years, never saw surge brakes on the oneís I used.
I rented one to move my step daughter from MN to WA, it had surge brakes. All of the U-Haul dollies I've seen on the lots here in WA have surge brakes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #27
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tom.....this can go back and forth for 20 pages. If you were flat towing a CRV or Ford Fiesta, dolly brakes would be a toss up. When you start getting into toads in the 4K plus range, you should have a braking system.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrigsby View Post
I have a 38 Newmar DP and considering using a dolly to tow our 2005 Dodge grand caravan. I have a tow dolly without surge brakes. Any of you tow without surge brakes? What's your experience?
I have a master tow dolly, that has Hyd surge brakes and has the wide wheel pan. Works good.

Tags
brake, dolly, tow, tow dolly