Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tow package cost?

Planning to go FT in a little over 2 years. We purchased 2016 Newmar Bay Star 3004 last August and just purchased a 2016 Jeep Patriot (manual trans) to tow. Our RV dealer is estimating about $4000 for a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar, wiring and a Patriot Braking System. Does this seem high? They are saying 10 hours labor to install. Does this seem normal? We are new to RVing, so don't have any experience to compare. Learning as we go along - we still have a long way to go!
nseaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #2

We paid 3k for a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar, baseplate and AF1 braking system. Took 'em mostly all day-I would say 10 hrs is a bit much, more like 6 maybe. This was two years ago. Good shop.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #3

Its been awhile, but it seems like our Blue Ox was somewhere around there. It took all day, but we stayed in our rv while it was being done. Our installation also included a braking system.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 06-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can shop online at places like http://www.etrailer.com

Use their useful configuration tool by providing the year, make, and model of your toad to find the right parts.

I would also recommend searching Mopar Parts to see if they make a towed vehicle wiring harness. It couples into your vehicles existing connectors, uses 12v power from your coach...and activates all your tail lights including the center brake light. I thinks it's a better option than using a diode kit.

You'll need:

Base plate
Tow Bar
Towed vehicle light wiring
Auxiliary braking and breakaway system

They also make a clamp that is used to eliminate play between your receiver and the tow bar. Another nice accessory to think about is a locking hitch pin..so your tow bar doesn't grow legs and walk off. (Theft prevention)
Old 06-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #5

Save $, space, and weight - check out ReadyBrute Elite tow system on this forum - all positive!

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #6

Bought all the items C.Martin mentioned used (except the towed vehicle light wiring) and installed it myself. Everything totaled $950.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:53 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nseaver View Post
Planning to go FT in a little over 2 years. We purchased 2016 Newmar Bay Star 3004 last August and just purchased a 2016 Jeep Patriot (manual trans) to tow. Our RV dealer is estimating about $4000 for a Blue Ox base plate and tow bar, wiring and a Patriot Braking System. Does this seem high? They are saying 10 hours labor to install. Does this seem normal? We are new to RVing, so don't have any experience to compare. Learning as we go along - we still have a long way to go!
Ok lets brake this down, the Patriot brake system cost ~$1100;
The Blue Ox Tow Bar and Base Plate setup ~$1100;
10 Hours labor ~$125hr = $1250;
Wiring kit ~$50
With all this giving you an ESTIMATE of ~$4k is not so unreasonable.
But that's just me.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone! As always, iRV2 has provided me with some great information. I may look at less expensive tow and brake systems, but from what I've seen Blue Ox always gets stellar reviews.

kbhine / SuperGewl - Glad to know the quote is not completely out of line. They did say it might not be quite that much - depends on how long it takes (labor at my dealer is $138 per hour).

I hate being at the mercy of the dealer, but I'm not able to do something like this myself. Glad to have all of you offering experience and advice!
nseaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow