Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota4re View Post
Hey fottip, I think you have found a good solution. Maybe use painters tape or a clever velcro set-up to somehow attach the fuse to the steering wheel. At my age, I know I would forget to put that fuse back in if I didn't have a reminder! I think that on the JK, they run the center stop light on an independent circuit so it will likely still operate - unless Jeep's changed the wiring since I last looked!
Yep, we do become a little more apt to "ferget" stuff as we get older.

The three stop lights actually DO operate off one fuse, so that simplifies things. I just ordered one of the several mini-fuse switches available out there (Blue Ox BX88271). I plan to just route the wiring through the Jeep's fuse box inside the engine compartment, and ty-wrap it there. That makes it easy - switch the fuse off for towing, then back on afterwards.

I thank you guys again for bringing this to our attention. I just wonder how many RVers out there who don't read forums have the problem and don't know it.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #44

Hello all, sorry I haven't responded to your contributions.

I decided on using a Currie tow plate which bolts up to the jeep. Some holes exist some you drill, a few hour project. Tight fit, it will require some persuading to get it in to place. Solid steel
and doubles as a skid plate.

I chose a NSA Ready Brute 9050 tow bar with ready break. It works. Cables includes, no electronic machines to fail. If you choose this system, don't make the cable too tight. you'll drag your jeep. You'll need to adjust it.

I also used the molar 6 point wiring harness which connects directly into the jeeps wiring inside the footwell, it works flawlessly. You'll need to drill a hole through the firewall, they provide the rubber plug on the harness. I added additional rv roof tape to deal it. The harness connection needed is high on the passenger side interior side wall. There are two plugs, you want the black plug, not the grey plug. My local Chrysler technicians were idiots. They claim to have installed the application but didn't know about the two plugs. Grey low, black plug high.

One last thing, I used the Currie tow Clevis's. The NSA didn't fit well and would have required extra modification.

You will need to drill out the pin holes on the tow plate, they're just a smidge tight, it's a big hole you'll probably need to take a trip to the hardware store. I found their machining is tight unfortunately everyone else's isn't.

I recommend you put all this together on the ground and do your modifications before it's installed.

Well, that's my story. I'm glad I spent the extra money on this application. My goal was to was to use as few electronic devices and splice in my vehicle. 0 splices and 0 electronic devices.

I know I don't answer all your questions. If I can help I try. shoot me a line. There are YouTube videos that can help, but keep in mind, many are trying to sell products for the vendors even though the are made in their garage.
wheelsturnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #45

I used the Currie base plate and blue ox clevis. I had to chamfer the base plate attach point as the clevis has a radius and the plate did not. Pretty minimal material removal actually.
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #46

We pick up our Wrangler in a few weeks. I was planning on the following set up:
Rock Hard or LoD bumper
Ready Brute Elite with Ready Brake

Question: What Tabs do specify?
Thanks,
Tom
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
We pick up our Wrangler in a few weeks. I was planning on the following set up:
Rock Hard or LoD bumper
Ready Brute Elite with Ready Brake

Question: What Tabs do specify?
Thanks,
Tom
When you order custom clevis for ready brute they will email you a drawing asking for measurements of your tabs.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #48

Mike, so LoD or Rock Hard make them custom?
If so, great, guess I did not understand that from their websites, or I was not paying attention...
Thanks!
2017 Jeep JKU
Old 05-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
Mike, so LoD or Rock Hard make them custom?
If so, great, guess I did not understand that from their websites, or I was not paying attention...
Thanks!
Not sure about the bumper attach but when you order the tow bar they ask what clevis you need. They have several standards available but will also custom make a clevis for 60 dollars I think.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #50

Thanks! Good to know.
2017 Jeep JKU

Tags
tow