Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 06:52 PM   #1

Tow Plates for 2018 JL Wranglers

Would like some insight on ease of install for 2018 Wrangler Tow Plates.

Blue Ox, Demco, or Roadmaster.

Plan to likely use with a Ready Break Elite II

Thank you
Rick
RK4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 07:00 PM   #2

Don’t overlook the Maximus-3 tow points. They mount to the outside of each frame member and NSA can make some custom clevises. They are also nice recovery points for helping others out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	576F3FD8-1615-4F67-AA21-D64917CD6A03.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	333359   Click image for larger version

Name:	D730B181-4B81-4FBE-99AC-4DE48A88BC25.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	333360  

BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Don’t overlook the Maximus-3 tow points. They mount to the outside of each frame member and NSA can make some custom clevises. They are also nice recovery points for helping others out.
That looks great, have not seen this product before.. will review.

TY
Old 06-23-2021, 07:49 PM   #4

Maximus 3 tow loops. So much better than a base plate. I too use the Ready Brake Elite Tow setupClick image for larger version

Name:	20200719_135658.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	333368Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_135723.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	333371
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:30 AM   #5

Let me try this again. I am not selling these. I bought a set of the Maximus 3s because I think they look really good and also act as additional tow hook point. We sold my MH so I never used them and have no experience with the install or operation. But they seem pretty straightforward.

There was a big controversy in the forum back when I was looking at them that they do not provide adequate attachment safety to the Jeep. I think they are fine and the folks who use them seem to have no problems. I've seen plenty of people talking about failures of other towing systems. I think the key is proper installation and maintenance.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:36 AM   #6

I use the road master system and it tows great. It has low visibility when not in use. Install was straight forward if you have basic skills. there is one hole that's needs to be drilled on each side of the frame. Not sure if the drilling is needed on a 2018, mine is a 2014. I don't know how to get pics posted otherwise I would
Old 06-24-2021, 07:41 AM   #7

I've installed a few base plates as well as the Maximus tow loops. Tow loops were the easiest install by far. I also use the ReadyBrake and they supplied me with the clevis's for the loops. Only been towing with this new 21 JL for 6 months but really like the set up. My tow loops are black so a little harder to see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Maximus 1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	333417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Maximus 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	333418  

twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:51 AM   #8

Where do you attach your safety cables in this configuration ?
Old 06-24-2021, 07:59 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
We used the Maximus-3 tow loops for a while, but now have a Blue Ox baseplate.

After 10K or so the tow loops were bent enough to be visually obvious. We kept using them while working on procuring (backordered) replacements from Maximus-3, but when our used, older, Roadmaster bar collapsed and wouldn't stay extended, we swapped the whole system out for a new Blue Ox Allure and baseplate instead.

With 5K or so on it, I wish we would have gone that route to begin with. I don't think the tow loops are made of thick enough plate for the application and the new tow bar is much stronger and easier to deal with for our application.

Speaking of application though, Maximus-3 blamed the loops bending on the fact that we tow the Jeep off-road regularly. Not sure if that's the case, but whatever. We use Roadmaster Invisibrake, which has a slight delay between the application of the brakes and sufficient force on the brake pedal to stop the Jeep, which might have had something to do with it as well.

We now stow the tow bar on the Jeep, instead of the truck (we tow our Jeep behind our truck camper), and it's much easier with a baseplate than loops.
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #10

Rick,
Here is a pic of the steel clevis's that came with the RBE II tow bar from NSA. When ordering the tow bar you simply tell them what base plate mfg you are using & they will match the clevis's. NSA also sells their own break away system that you would install when installing the brake cable from bumper to brake pedal. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NSA clevis's for RBE II.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	333425  
Old 06-24-2021, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0arp View Post
We used the Maximus-3 tow loops for a while, but now have a Blue Ox baseplate.

After 10K or so the tow loops were bent enough to be visually obvious. We kept using them while working on procuring (backordered) replacements from Maximus-3, but when our used, older, Roadmaster bar collapsed and wouldn't stay extended, we swapped the whole system out for a new Blue Ox Allure and baseplate instead.

With 5K or so on it, I wish we would have gone that route to begin with. I don't think the tow loops are made of thick enough plate for the application and the new tow bar is much stronger and easier to deal with for our application.

Speaking of application though, Maximus-3 blamed the loops bending on the fact that we tow the Jeep off-road regularly. Not sure if that's the case, but whatever. We use Roadmaster Invisibrake, which has a slight delay between the application of the brakes and sufficient force on the brake pedal to stop the Jeep, which might have had something to do with it as well.

We now stow the tow bar on the Jeep, instead of the truck (we tow our Jeep behind our truck camper), and it's much easier with a baseplate than loops.
Yikes! My JL is the fourth toad I've set up in a little over 25 years. Prior I have had a Demco base plate and two different Blue Ox base plates on other toads. All performed flawlessly. Since I've only been towing with the tow loops for 6 months my experience is limited. I'm profoundly disappointed to hear yours bent. At 5/8th thick steel they are thicker than any base plate connection point (or any part) that I have used. I hope you have better luck with the new set up.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:28 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Yikes! My JL is the fourth toad I've set up in a little over 25 years. Prior I have had a Demco base plate and two different Blue Ox base plates on other toads. All performed flawlessly. Since I've only been towing with the tow loops for 6 months my experience is limited. I'm profoundly disappointed to hear yours bent. At 5/8th thick steel they are thicker than any base plate connection point (or any part) that I have used. I hope you have better luck with the new set up.
While the plate is thinner, the way the Blue Ox baseplate is engineered, the side to side forces that bent the Maximus-3 tabs are on the frame (since the side plates are flush to the frame) and the 1-1/4" mounting tabs. Not a peninsula of 5/8" plate.
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:20 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed a Roadmaster setup on my JKU. The base plate took all of 15 minutes to install by myself...six bolts, no drilling.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:11 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
The report of the bent Maximus-3 tow loops is concerning.
I have been using them on our 2020 Jeep for over a year with no problems at all.
I chose the Maximus-3 loops due to the ability to have a towbar mount and a recessed winch plate. I've also seen them in action for a couple years on a friend's 2019 Rubicon.
I will keep a close eye on them, but so far no issues. We are using the new style Blue Ox Avail tow bar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bo avail.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	507.4 KB
ID:	333560  

Tags
tow