Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Tow Protection

I have a new Ford Flex. My old Ford Edge had hundreds of paint chips on the front. I need advice on how to protect the tow. I have looked at hard plastic guards from Blue Ox and Roadmaster but have heard that rocks bounce off and hit the back of the coach and chip paint. Another option is a bra for the front of the car but concerned about it marring the clearcoat. Another option is 3M plastic applied over the paint like on the front of the coach - expensive. My coach does not have mud flaps behind the wheels just a long one across the back. I’m wondering if just adding mud flaps to the rear wheels would provide enough protection? Too many options – need input
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron @ HHI View Post
I have a new Ford Flex. My old Ford Edge had hundreds of paint chips on the front. I need advice on how to protect the tow. I have looked at hard plastic guards from Blue Ox and Roadmaster but have heard that rocks bounce off and hit the back of the coach and chip paint. Another option is a bra for the front of the car but concerned about it marring the clearcoat. Another option is 3M plastic applied over the paint like on the front of the coach - expensive. My coach does not have mud flaps behind the wheels just a long one across the back. I’m wondering if just adding mud flaps to the rear wheels would provide enough protection? Too many options – need input
This subject has been beat to death for ages on IRV2.
From experience I can tell you without question, your very best protection is to Remove the Rear Flap, install a set of flaps behind the rear duals so they just clear when the suspension is lowered.
I've tried all the devices you talk about and removing the rear flap is the best option.
My 2013 Honda CRV still has the OEM Windshield and Very Few paint chips after 20,000 miles of towing without a rear flap. Hooking up the toad is Much easier not having to mess with all the grime gathering devices.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #3

My 5 year old Sonic has quite a few dings, but no way to determine if they are from being towed or just daily usage as it is also my daily driver. But since we are making a long (to us) trip out west in a few weeks I thought I get a bra to cover the front. Instructions say To remove it if it gets wet, let it dry. I’ll give it a try, and if it becomes more trouble than I care to deal with then so be it. EBay....

I have mud flaps behind the rear wheels which as mentioned above should do a decent job of protection. Not sure if I run down a gravel road that they will be good, but then I rarely do that anyway.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
From experience I can tell you without question, your very best protection is to Remove the Rear Flap, install a set of flaps behind the rear duals so they just clear when the suspension is lowered.
Has anyone actually done this on an Entegra? If so, what brand/model flaps did you use and how/where is it attached?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
My 5 year old Sonic has quite a few dings, but no way to determine if they are from being towed or just daily usage as it is also my daily driver. But since we are making a long (to us) trip out west in a few weeks I thought I get a bra to cover the front. Instructions say To remove it if it gets wet, let it dry. I’ll give it a try, and if it becomes more trouble than I care to deal with then so be it. EBay....

I have mud flaps behind the rear wheels which as mentioned above should do a decent job of protection. Not sure if I run down a gravel road that they will be good, but then I rarely do that anyway.
Again, from experience I can tell you using a bra is not all it's cracked up to be either. They can result in more paint damage than you bargained for.
Been there, done that.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Has anyone actually done this on an Entegra? If so, what brand/model flaps did you use and how/where is it attached?
If you do a search I think you will find an Entrega thread on this subject. Here is one.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/mudf...on-391924.html
Old 05-25-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Ron, I have the solid rubber flap across the back of the MH, positioned 6" above the ground, and a Protect-a-Tow mesh shield. I have never had a chip on the toad!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a rubber flap across the back of my MH. It does not hit the ground. After nine years averaging 5000 miles a year I have not had a ding from stone nor a cracked windshield. However if your flap is low enough to hit the ground when you hit road bumps then the flap will kick up stones, and you'll get dings.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Ron, I have the solid rubber flap across the back of the MH, positioned 6" above the ground, and a Protect-a-Tow mesh shield. I have never had a chip on the toad!
But, if you have a rear outlet exhaust the supplier says it won't work. Also, don't like messing with the grimy mesh.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I have a rubber flap across the back of my MH. It does not hit the ground. After nine years averaging 5000 miles a year I have not had a ding from stone nor a cracked windshield. However if your flap is low enough to hit the ground when you hit road bumps then the flap will kick up stones, and you'll get dings.
I agree and I have been told by several people that will cause stone chips. So far I have towed 16,000 miles with the mudflap across the back without only one chip and I'm not sure that was done towing. Mine flap sets about 3 inches off the ground sitting still and 4 to 5 inches off the pavement when going down the road. Till I start getting chip damage mine is staying on.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have both flaps behind the wheels and also the wide rubber flap in the rear. My rear flap sits 6" off the ground when aired up.

I have never had a rock chip on my toad. However, some SOB keyed it right below the left headlamp. Big long gouge.

Like to have caught the SOB doing it.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
But, if you have a rear outlet exhaust the supplier says it won't work. Also, don't like messing with the grimy mesh.

You're right Dennis, I should have mentioned about the rear exhaust.

I've never had the problem with the mesh getting that dirty. One difference may be that I made my PAT, so the mesh may be more open and wouldn't catch as much dirt.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #13

Protect a Tow works very well for us. I wear a pair of gloves while connecting/ disconnecting and either roll it up on the bumper or put it in a bag at the storage lot.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Protect a Tow works very well for us. I wear a pair of gloves while connecting/ disconnecting and either roll it up on the bumper or put it in a bag at the storage lot.
..... and if we aren't staying long I roll the whole thing up and fasten it using it's bungee and clips. Everything is there when I unroll to hook up again.
Pic 2 is the little holes in the lower air dam that it clips to. No gaudy eye bolts hanging down.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180610_123510.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	207754Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180603_125915.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	207755

Tags
tow