RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tow the "V6" 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4

I see the the FMCA listings that shows that the V8 of this year ('05) of Grand Cherokee can be flat-towed. Unless I miss read, I don't see the V6 mentioned...and thus I'm worried that the V6 -version can't be towed flat. Can anyone put my fears to rest?
Thanks.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
I see the the FMCA listings that shows that the V8 of this year ('05) of Grand Cherokee can be flat-towed. Unless I miss read, I don't see the V6 mentioned...and thus I'm worried that the V6 -version can't be towed flat. Can anyone put my fears to rest?
Thanks.
Do you have the small little button near the shifter that allows you to put it into neutral on the transfer case?
Old 05-06-2017, 11:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi.1014 View Post
Thanks.
Well Sir,
The very FIRST thing you need to do is, get into the OWNERS MANUAL and see what it states about TOWING WITH AN RV. Or, Recreational towing. The owners manual will spell it all out for you in the exact procedure or, whether or not you can tow it with an RV at all.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't know they made a 2005 grand Cherokee "V-8".

Mike
Old 05-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #5

If it's got the 3.7l gas, 4WD , then check this site , AND your owners manual .

Store : Remco
Old 05-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Appreciate all replies. I'm considering a purchase of a used Jeep Cherokee, and it's pretty clear that the "Gen-1" (up thru 2004) is a flat-tow, but the Gen-2 (2005 thru ??) is still a mystery to me. So as I continue my looking (mostly thru CraigsList), I'll focus on "the little button" and/or user manuals for the vehicles I'm finding. Thanks.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Must be 4 wheel drive, then depends on which transfer case. If part time then is towable, if full time / AWD then depends. Might post for clarification on one of the Jeep specific forums. Such as jeeosunlimited.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on which transmission/transfer case is in the Jeep. I believe the Quadra-Trac's transfer case can be put in neutral so the Jeep can be towed.

I own a 2005 Jeep GC with a V8 5.7 Hemi. I flat tow it. Next to the shifter in the center console, on the right side there is a lever and underneath it is a small button. The button is what puts the transfer case in neutral. I have to follow a specific shifting procedure for it to work (if you do it wrong it gives you a warning).

Word of warning. My 2005 had a recall involving the transfer case. Being a good owner I immediately scheduled mine in for the fix, which was a reprogram (reflash) of the computer. Guess what, after the recall I couldn't put my Jeep into neutral. Wife got stuck in NY & FL pulling the Jeep, it wouldn't go into neutral. Had it reflashed in NY to be able to pull it, in FL we just gave up and drove it home to TN, luckily I was with her. After that I found a work around where you could pull the fuse the controls the transfer case and it would reset. Still had a problem where it wouldn't go into neutral but at least I could trick it into switching. I had numerous contacts with Jeep and they said to their knowledge there was no known problem with the recall fix, even though at that point it was well documented. After about a year there was another recall to fix the recall. It finally did fix it but not a great experience.

There was another recall on the ignition switch. They sent out the notice but took over a year to fix it, they wanted owners to park their cars. The problem was that you would be driving an all the dash lights, instruments, radio, AC would go dead. The Jeep would still drive but the first times it happened it completely scared the bejesus out you. Finally got it fixed after a year, again not a great experience.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow