Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2022, 05:30 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tow tire wear - with rear 2 bike hitch

Just wondering if anyone has experienced unusual rear tire wear on their tow car (tow or no tow) when driving long distances with rear hitch & 2 bikes.

Several years ago, did experience that on a Mercedes 320 .... twice, after back & forth winter trip south by car only. Mercedes explained their model was not meant to have a rear bike hitch because of the extra weight (about 125 pounds) cantilevered from rear. They recommended roof mount bike racks to spread load evenly; did that for a few years with then no unusual tire wear. Now have not put a hitch on our newer MB.

But planning to try our tow (2021 Buick Encore GX with a rear hitch & 2 bike rack) behind RV. Was told by some that the suspension is different & will be OK. The car is limited for towing (1000 pounds) but was advised that a rear bike rack is OK.

Have seen many RV's towing cars with bikes on a tow car rear hitch, usually travelling long distances. Wondering if anyone has noticed undue tire wear over long distances on their tow tires.

It's probably only particular due to finnicky special Mercedes suspension system, terrific for ordinary driving but not meant for hitch loads.

At least I hope so. Any comments ?
PI EMS HW50C, Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
bneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2022, 07:09 AM   #2

I can’t help, but I’m really curious what happens if you put a couple of suitcases in the trunk and drive a long distance???? It can’t be much different than having a couple bikes on the back.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:01 AM   #3

My suggestion would be to go get an Alignment and bring the bike rack/bikes with you. Check reading with and without bike rack/bikes. Check What difference there is if any. Good Luck. Happy travels.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:11 AM   #4

Independent rear suspension vs solid axle .
Solid axle any weight on a hitch , adds load to the tires but alignment doesn't change.
There has been a formula posted for cantilevered weight on a hitch ( used on MHs with a motor cycle lift ) . I'll see if I can track it down.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:46 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Note to "Randomledder":
It's not only a question of weight in the trunk but more possibly problematic to cantilevered weight on tow car's suspension.

I would agree more with Skip426 comments.

Pretty sure that simple cars like (Encore GX) has solid axle weight bearing so expect no undue tire wear. I can remember back in the late 50's driving with my father camping in a Mercedes fully loaded & rear wheels slanting outwards, so much so that a person behind us actually stopped because he thought our rear axle was broken.

Just curious to hear if anyone has had tire wear with a cantilevered bike rack & if so what make tow car/suspension.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:37 PM   #6

I’ve carried 4 bikes on my 13 Explorer with no tire wear.
European cars always seem to have odd tire wear patterns.
125lb off the back is no more than about 175lbs. If the suspension can’t handle that then there is a problem with the vehicle!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:46 PM   #7

Tow tire wear - with rear 2 bike hitch

[QUOTE=bneumann;6222999]Note to "Randomledder":
It's not only a question of weight in the trunk but more possibly problematic to cantilevered weight on tow car's suspension.

I get what your saying about the weight being cantilevered on the back. I was just surprised that somewhere in the neighborhood of .03% of the vehicle weight being put on a hitch caused any odd tire wear. It just got me thinking about what happens when something actually heavy is in the trunk.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:12 PM   #8

Did the benz have air ride suspension?
Either way, the buick should be fine with a 2 bike rack on it.

2011 Fleetwood Terra 34DS
Pretaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:14 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I have towed my 2013 and 2017 Buick Enclaves over 50,000 miles with the back seats down and loaded along with a bike carrier with two bikes. No strange tire wear.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:24 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad to hear no-one seems to have issues; most likely only a concern with special independent suspension systems.

We do not expect problems with our Buick Encore GX; will confirm after next winter trip south & back.

Thanks

Tags
hitch, rear, tire, tow