Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #1

Tow Vehicle Brake System (Invisibrake)

After research I do believe I will purchase an Invisibrake System for my 2004 Jeep Wrangler Tow vehicle. I have a gas version of Winebego Explorer so should not have problems associated with Diesel.

Anyone have any experience or good words to bestow upon me?
gorgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgill View Post
After research I do believe I will purchase an Invisibrake System for my 2004 Jeep Wrangler Tow vehicle. I have a gas version of Winebego Explorer so should not have problems associated with Diesel.

Anyone have any experience or good words to bestow upon me?
If you are purchasing it through Camping World and a Good Sam member, there is a coupon good for 10% off. Mine is being installed this Thursday.
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never seen an actual Invisible Brake system but have read many reviews. Including the installation instructions.

From what I can see, you should have no problems.. DO be careful though during install, I have read ONE negative review and that was because the installer screwed up.

Same as the techinican that installed my US-gear system did,, Same screw up in fact.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #4

Invisibrake

What was the screw up, maybe I can avoid it?
gorgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can not be sure of the details on the other owner's car but on mine installing the US-Gear involved removing one of the plastic panels that form the bottom of the dash, This panel warpped around the bottom of the dash.. The same panel would be removed when installing the Invisibrake I believe.

When the technician put it back he put it back wrong As a result it would not allow the brake pedal to fully return to the "at rest" position, this caused the brakes to drag and cost me a set of rotors. and pads.

I removed the panel completly, since it served no useful purpose.

The other owner: Had identical symptoms

The moral: Make sure the pedal is able to FULLY return to it's "At rest" position.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #6

I would not recommend the Invisibrake by Roadmaster.
We had one put on our car (Chevy HHR) it didn't slow or stop the car, the brake rotors didn't even get warm! This is how we found out it didn't work. We bought it from a well known RV company in Chattanooga, TN. When we went to get our car, we were told they had not test driven the motorhome and car in tow. They said I could get a feel of the braking ability on the car and motorhome by making a few stops and adjust the brake pressure as needed. To make a short story, my wife and I tested the the car on a slight hill. I tied a long string to the break away pin, and asked my wife to only steer the car. I took the string, she released the brake and when it picked up some speed, I pulled the break away pin and it rolled to the bottem of the hill.
Short story, the manager said "it works as designed and I was leagle"! Time went by, Invisibrake was taken off car, got refund.
It was installed on 9-23-2011.
W. Willie
W. Willie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake