Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #1

Angry Tow vehicle lights

My tow vehicle light wires pulled from the plug on a hard turn. I have rewired the circular 7 point connector. The left turn signal does not work.
I have tested the tow vehicle connector and it works when plug into a different source than my coach connector. I have tested the connectors in the coach plug and the left turn contact does not give a voltage which tells me the coach wiring has a problem. The tail/ stop/ right lights work on the coach.
the coach is a 2010 Damon Astoria.
Question: What could the problem be with the coach connector? Is it fused? not sure how to proceed to a fix.
billbarbzimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #2

Are you saying the trailer left turn/brake light doesn't work, or the coach light is not functioning?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Check and replace blown fuse for trailer towing for Left Turn on coach.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #4

tow vehicle lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Are you saying the trailer left turn/brake light doesn't work, or the coach light is not functioning?
All tow vehicle lights work properly. all coach lights work properly. the coach connector has a contact that doesn't give a voltage. finding the possible fuse is a real challenge. not sure where it is if there is one!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
If you have 12v working on the rv female plug except for left turn signal, I would check that left turn signal wire going into the female rv plug. Check to see if that wire is hot going into the plug. If it is, the connector may have a broken connection. Look for the simple!
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbarbzimm View Post
My tow vehicle light wires pulled from the plug on a hard turn. I have rewired the circular 7 point connector. The left turn signal does not work.
I have tested the tow vehicle connector and it works when plug into a different source than my coach connector. I have tested the connectors in the coach plug and the left turn contact does not give a voltage which tells me the coach wiring has a problem. The tail/ stop/ right lights work on the coach.
the coach is a 2010 Damon Astoria.
Question: What could the problem be with the coach connector? Is it fused? not sure how to proceed to a fix.
Well Sir,
I'm not that familiar with your model/year coach but, in many Winnes and Itascas, there are separate fuses for the trailer plug. The fuses for the regular light operation, i.e. turn signals, running lights etc. have nothing to do with the trailer plug. So now, the point is, does your particular coach, have a fuse box for the trailer plug and, if so, where might it be? Hmmmm... not sure.

It won't do any good to tell you where mine are 'cause your coach is completely different from ours. So, maybe a call to your manufacturer, either chassis maker or, coach builder might be in order or, at the very least, maybe obtain some coach or, chassis wiring diagrams would most definitely help.

Also, maybe back trace that particular wire, (left turn at the trailer plug) and see possibly where it may lead to. You may find a connection that has slipped apart (some) and or, broken. Now, a question, you say the right turn signal is working, correct? If so, are the brake lights working on the right turn signal pin too? And, if so, are the brake lights working on the left turn signal pin?

Especially since about 98% of the coaches out there, have combination brake/turn signals on the same pins in the trailer plugs. If you get a brake light signal from the left turn signal pin, then the wiring should be good, to that trailer plug since that portion of the operation is good. Meaning, if you do get that brake light, then the wiring and, connection inside the trailer plug is good. It then will point directly at a bad fuse for the LT, in the trailer plug fuse box.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #7

all of you suggestions are great and are to my way of thinking...noow to figure it all out! thanks to all.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #8

Is the left turn hooked up at the proper pin is the pin making contact with the pin on the trailer side did you check that you striped the wire far enough back to make contact and check for corrosion on the wire
Dblegg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, tow