Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #1

Towbar Brands

I've been looking for a tow bar setup so that we can pull our YJ behind the motorhome. I've looked at the Roadmaster & Blue Ox systems.

What other brands of tow bars are out there?

Thanks.
BT2 Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 02:21 PM   #2

Ready Brute elite
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
D20

I have a Demco tow bar.

https://www.demco-products.com
Old 05-04-2021, 02:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear7278 View Post
Ready Brute elite
X2 you don't need a supplemental brake with the Ready Brake. You do have to install a couple of cables through the firewall but it's pretty easy if you're at all handy.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #5

I would never buy anything Blue Ox again.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:25 PM   #6

I would say the top 4 are Roadmaster, Blue Ox, Demco and NSA, though there are others, also etrailer now has a house brand tow bar, which is made by Demco, and is very similar to the previous version of the Demco tow bar, however they are sold with whichever major brand of coupler you pick.

That is in no particularly order, and most of which have adapters available to make them work with the other major brands of base plates.

At the moment I have a Demco Commander towbar and a Blue Ox baseplate.

If I were to put them in order from low to high I would tend to say Blue Ox, Roadmaster, Demco and NSA though a lot of this has to do with their customer service, support, etc. Both Blue Ox and to a lesser degree Roadmaster want you to replace your tow bar every 8-10 years ago will not service it beyond a certain age regardless of condition or level of actual use.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
X2 you don't need a supplemental brake with the Ready Brake. You do have to install a couple of cables through the firewall but it's pretty easy if you're at all handy.
X3.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #8

Ready Brute works great for us also.
Old 05-05-2021, 08:22 AM   #9

The etrailer tow bar is a demco bar with etrailer name on it.i just got one and it is a great tow bar at a great price.took almost a month to get it because they were back ordered. tow bar came with adapter to hook up to my roadmaster baseplate. adapter alone is like a 100 bucks.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:42 AM   #10

Thanks

Thanks to you all. I've got some surfing to do this evening.
BT2 Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:18 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Before you buy you might want to do some searches like "blueox tow bar failures" You might be surprised what you find.
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:21 AM   #12

Another Demco Commander user here, coupled with the Demco tabless baseplate on our Wrangler. Really like the features. The only gripe I have is the weight of the Commander - hefty!
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:43 AM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT2 Zeke View Post
Thanks to you all. I've got some surfing to do this evening.
If you've never purchased a tow bar before, perhaps people could offer up their suggestions of what to look for. For us:

Non-binding latches. The types of tow bars with the telescoping arms need to have a lever pulled to release the lock. If the vehicle is at a bit of an angle it can be difficult to impossible to pull the lever. A non-binding latch has a geared force multiplier to make that job easier. My Roadmaster Nighthawk has a ratio of something like 5 pounds of upward force exerts 2,000 pounds of pressure to unlock the telescoping arms.

Some people pooh-pooh the non-binding latches and say they just take a big hammer and a big old bolt and beat the pin out of the tow bar when its bound up. That's too much work for me plus I have an aversion to doing things like that. Perhaps you do not.

Integrated cables. A few tow bars have a metal "channel" on the tow bar that holds the safety cables and the umbilical cable. You do not need to carry the cables separately because they're always ready to just plug in.

All terrain or similar wording. This just means the tow bar has pivoting abilities so the car can be a bit cockeyed side to side and the tow bar is still happy.

Close to or double the expected towing weight of the vehicle for the weight rating. Tow bars get a lot of stress and abuse. As they age things slowly wear out. Give yourself a big safety margin.

Not "all aluminum". These have gotten a bit of a bad reputation because of failures while driving. Not all and probably a very small minority. The people who like the all aluminum bars like the weight, about 35 pounds versus maybe 50 pounds. I just leave my tow bar on the motorhome all the time but some people have to remove theirs due to very tight storage places. My Roadmaster Nighthawk has steel telescoping arms but the outer casing is aluminum to reduce some weight.

Accessories:

Anti-rattle devices. There's always some slop where the tow bar goes into the motorhome hitch receiver. Anti-rattle devices are just beefy clamps that remove that slop. I use two of the Blue Ox anti-rattle devices. They help eliminate banging noises while towing and other stresses.

Locking pins for the hitch. ETrailer and others make these. They replace the pin-and-clip to make it a bit more difficult for someone to tamper with your tow bar or swipe it.

Whichever one you buy, buy its cover. Tow bars spend most of their life just sitting in the sun, rain, dust, etc. Give it a fighting chance to stay cleaner.

Oh, and I really like the lighted arms on the Nighthawk. They come on whenever the motorhome's parking or headlights are lit.

Ray
Old 05-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #14

Ready Brute Elite. I swapped from a Blue Ox to the RBE last year. Love the Ready Brute Elite.

I tow a Jeep Wrangler.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow