Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #1

Towed brake light solenoid

Im preparing to tow a 2000 Grand Cherokee behind my 01 Winnebago Journey. I am using the SMI AFO supplemental brakes and a combined wiring harness to use the lights on the GC for turn and brake. My question is, do I really need to wire in the solenoid to keep the GC brakes from interferring with the turn/brake signals from the coach. It seems like I could just pull the brake light fuse while Im towing and then once I arrive pop the fuse back in.
Im not really looking forward to crawling under the dash to install the solenoid.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #2

rshackleford-

I don't know whose "solenoid" you may have already, but etrailer sells a product by Roadmaster that is suggested for the same purpose. Here is a link to the product page. In the middle of that page (which also has installation instructions) is a section titled: "Is a Relay Required?" Answer the questions in that section and it should determine if a relay is necessary for your application.

In my installation, a brake light relay was not required, so I can't tell you I know how difficult it is to install. I do know I would not want to be pulling any of the little fuses under the Fit's dash every time I had to tow. For one thing, I've gotten too farsighted to see them clearly!
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2014, with LED brake lights, so ours is different.

I would make this suggestion as an alternate to pulling the fuse.

Install a switch in series with the wire that comes from your Toad brake light switch. I think in your vehicle, when the brake light switch closes, the brake lights come one. So putting a separate toggle switch in series with this, will prevent the circuit from completing when you tow the GC.

Now a relay is just an electrically controlled switch. In my case, I have a charge wire in my tow cable harness. I use this to control a relay instead of a switch that you must remember to activate. So when I hook up the toad, the relay is energized, and the toad brake lights are inhibited.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
We have a 2014, with LED brake lights, so ours is different.

I would make this suggestion as an alternate to pulling the fuse.

Install a switch in series with the wire that comes from your Toad brake light switch. I think in your vehicle, when the brake light switch closes, the brake lights come one. So putting a separate toggle switch in series with this, will prevent the circuit from completing when you tow the GC.

Now a relay is just an electrically controlled switch. In my case, I have a charge wire in my tow cable harness. I use this to control a relay instead of a switch that you must remember to activate. So when I hook up the toad, the relay is energized, and the toad brake lights are inhibited.

Regards,

Dan
Dan that is a unique and smart way of controlling the brake light !!
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:36 PM   #5

I meant to say relay not solenoid. Sorry for the confusion.

The issue is access to the wire for the brake light switch. IF I could get up under the dash and put a switch in series I could probably install the relay as well. Im trying to avoid having to crawl under the dash by just pulling the fuse.

I was hoping someone would be able to comment on that technigue.

Ill just give it a try in the next couple days and see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rshackleford View Post
I meant to say relay not solenoid. Sorry for the confusion.

The issue is access to the wire for the brake light switch. IF I could get up under the dash and put a switch in series I could probably install the relay as well. Im trying to avoid having to crawl under the dash by just pulling the fuse.

I was hoping someone would be able to comment on that technigue.

Ill just give it a try in the next couple days and see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I agree, workingunder the dash is torture on these newer cars. Not at all like oldef cars.

They also sell switches that connect to the fuse block for the fuses that people need to pull when towing. You might be interested in one for this application.

Dan

Tags
brake, light, solenoid, tow