Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #1

Towing 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I am looking into towing my 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 on a DEMCO Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly. Has anyone done this setup and how well did it tow?
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why are you going to use a dolly when it can be towed all 4 down?

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Why are you going to use a dolly when it can be towed all 4 down?

Jon
My question exactly. Now, about 99.9% of the Grand Cherokees that are 4x4 are authorized by Jeep/Dodge to be flat towed. There is of course, possibly some exceptions but, I know of none. And, if you're worried about "wear" on the Grand from towing it, there is none. They follow just fine and have no additional wear and tear from towing at all. I've talked with many Grand owners at camp grounds and all of them really love them and have "0" issues towing them.

We've had two Grands. Both of them were Overland models. One was a 4x4 and one, a 2x4. Very nice cars/Suvs and, we really loved both of them. We might have one now if, our requirements when traveling were different. Good luck.
Scott

P.S. One thing here. Maybe you've already checked but, if not, I'd certainly go into the owners manual and see what it says about the use of a "Dolly" vs flat towing. Regular Jeep Wranglers, TJs, JKs, etc. are forbidden on a dolly and must either be flat towed, all four down or, on a trailer.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #4

Towing Jeep grand Cherokee

I was looking into the tow dolly idea as I can get the tow dolly set-up for a third of the cost of a 4 on the ground tow set-up. Also, I wanted the freedom of towing whatever vehicle I wanted without having to have an adapter plate installed on each vehicle. I hadn't thought about not being able to tow a Jeep GC on a tow dolly for some mechanical reason. Hopefully someone has experience with all this.
Thx for the info.
Paul
Old 10-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by litewave View Post
I was looking into the tow dolly idea as I can get the tow dolly set-up for a third of the cost of a 4 on the ground tow set-up. Also, I wanted the freedom of towing whatever vehicle I wanted without having to have an adapter plate installed on each vehicle. I hadn't thought about not being able to tow a Jeep GC on a tow dolly for some mechanical reason. Hopefully someone has experience with all this.
Thx for the info.
Paul
litewave,
Everyone likes to be frugal with their money, there's no doubt about that. I don't know how capable you are in terms of doing stuff for yourself but, installing a base plate on most vehicles is not very hard at all. Yes, a bit of work but, in the end, you save a ton of money, and, you know it's done right. And, if you shop around, on places like etrailer.com and a couple of others, you can find some fairly good deals.

Now, being versatile in having a potential "selection" of vehicles to be able to tow is also good. But, the best plan, in your terms would be, that ALL the intended toads would have to be towed on a dolly. But, because of the design of the drive train in the Grand, it is not allowed to be towed on a dolly. Now, unless someone chimes in here with info to the contrary about damage to the Grand by dolly towing, and says your particular year, with your particular transfer case etc. IS TOWABLE on a dolly, I think you've only got one option, flat tow it. Just my guess anyway.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by litewave View Post
... Also, I wanted the freedom of towing whatever vehicle I wanted without having to have an adapter plate installed on each vehicle...
The only way to have "the freedom of towing whatever vehicle I wanted..." is to use a full trailer. Not all vehicles can be towed on a dolly, including your 4x4 Grand Cherokee.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #7

Towing a Jeep Grand Cheerokee

Thanks, everyone for your input on towing my Jeep grand Cherokee on a Tow Dolly. I went out this weekend and bought a Roadmaster Falcon 2 set-up with everything except the brackets that mount to the vehicle. I also got the Even Brake portable wireless braking system and all I need for it is a "Second Vehicle kit" I got all the safety cables, clips, wire harness between RV and Toad. Now I need to wire the jeep or get portable magnetic lights. Won't be too long and I'll be on the road.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
When we towwed an '02 GC I used LED boat trailer lights. They fit right in front of the rear window and are quite bright enough to show up well through the dark glass. I used Velcro to hold them in place.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing