Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

Towing 2012 honda CRV

Am wondering if anyone is towing the new 2012 Honda CRV and are you having problems. We have towed Hondas for years with no problems. On this new one, our battery goes dead and then won't hold a charge when we jump it. My husband drove it 21 miles on the interstate, got to a Honda dealer, and turned it off. It was dead, and they say there is nothing wrong. Also when the battery is real low we have trouble with the steering. It turns just so far and locks. Two dealers have told us nothing is wrong, so we contacted the corporate office and they gave us a claim number. Am waiting for the dealer here in Grand Forks, ND where we are spending a few weeks to call us. We towed it only 150 miles one day and stopped to check and sure enough it was dead. Everything is turned off. Thank God Florida has a lemon law. After three timesin the shop for the same thing we can start proceedings especially since the lady at corporate agreed it is a safety issue since we loose steering. Anyone have any words of wisdom.
roaming nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you removing the back up fuse when towing as recommended in your owners manual?

If not, the battery will drain when the key is in the on position.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #3

It is the the 7.5 A accessory radio fuse the owners manual says to remove.
An auro parts store will check the battery and test the charging system for free.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by roaming nana View Post
Am wondering if anyone is towing the new 2012 Honda CRV and are you having problems. We have towed Hondas for years with no problems. On this new one, our battery goes dead and then won't hold a charge when we jump it. My husband drove it 21 miles on the interstate, got to a Honda dealer, and turned it off. It was dead, and they say there is nothing wrong. Also when the battery is real low we have trouble with the steering. It turns just so far and locks. Two dealers have told us nothing is wrong, so we contacted the corporate office and they gave us a claim number. Am waiting for the dealer here in Grand Forks, ND where we are spending a few weeks to call us. We towed it only 150 miles one day and stopped to check and sure enough it was dead. Everything is turned off. Thank God Florida has a lemon law. After three timesin the shop for the same thing we can start proceedings especially since the lady at corporate agreed it is a safety issue since we loose steering. Anyone have any words of wisdom.
You're threatening to go for a Lemon Law buyback before you even know if it's user error (removing the fuse as required)?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:56 AM   #5

My manual says you MAY have to pull a fuse, and none f the dealers we brought it to said we had to. My main concern is the steering. No one can explain that. I am glad we are now dealing with corporate because these mechanics only go by what a computer tells them
Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Are you using an aux braking system? If so is it drawing from the toad battery? Do you have the Nav system? Do you have blue tooth?
tbfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #7

We have a 2012 Honda CRV purchased the end of March. We've towed it several times but no more than 100 miles each way, if that far. We've had no problems. Our manual says nothing about removing a fuse. It does say to not use any auxillary power while towing as it may drain the battery. I make sure everything is off...radio, a/c, etc. just in case. Ours does not have NAVI...don't know if that makes a difference. We're going off for a few days today. Hopefully no problems this time.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #8

Quote:
My husband drove it 21 miles on the interstate, got to a Honda dealer, and turned it off. It was dead, and they say there is nothing wrong.
When we purchased our CR-V new, it had a bad battery. We left on a trip the day after picking up the car and the small town dealer we first contacted said there was nothing wrong. I took the car to a parts store and had the battery tested - it was bad. I purchased a new one and called Honda for reimbursement. Since then we have had no issues. Through the years I have bought more than one brand new car that came with a bad battery. You would think I would learn and insist on a new one with the purchase, but I always forget. Good luck.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbfirm
Are you using an aux braking system? If so is it drawing from the toad battery? Do you have the Nav system? Do you have blue tooth?
We do not use the aux braking system, and we do not have the navi. We will take it to an auto parts store and have it checked out. Yes, we do have blue tooth. Would that drain my battery the few minutes I may be on the phone. All this is great info except no one can tell me why steering locks up after I"ve charged the battery. When I give it gas, it unlocks.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Sounds like a bad battery.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
The manual does tell you to remove a fuse and shows you where it is - stand on your head and look up under the driver's side of the dash and you will see the fuse pannel. I believe (look in your manual) it is the third fuse over from the left on the second row. I can photocopy the manual page and post it as a jpeg if you want.
I made a fuse switch but that would still mess up my brake lights from the coach since I will be using a auxillary brake (USGear) that would activate the brake lights and over ride my turn signal lights from the coach if the car power was on.
I installed a battery shut off switch and that will solve the problem. The only thing I have to reset is the clock and the odometer setting. The XM radio remembers its settings.
Now onto wiring the brake and turn signal lights and then to install the Unified Tow Brake.
I am going to have to go back to work to get some time off from retirement.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM
The manual does tell you to remove a fuse and shows you where it is - stand on your head and look up under the driver's side of the dash and you will see the fuse pannel. I believe (look in your manual) it is the third fuse over from the left on the second row. I can photocopy the manual page and post it as a jpeg if you want.
I made a fuse switch but that would still mess up my brake lights from the coach since I will be using a auxillary brake (USGear) that would activate the brake lights and over ride my turn signal lights from the coach if the car power was on.
I installed a battery shut off switch and that will solve the problem. The only thing I have to reset is the clock and the odometer setting. The XM radio remembers its settings.
Now onto wiring the brake and turn signal lights and then to install the Unified Tow Brake.
I am going to have to go back to work to get some time off from retirement.
Thank you. We don't need the page. Hubby wants to know what you mean about the odometer reading. Is it the trip readings. Our odometer does not rack up miles while towing. If it's just the trip readings, that's no problem. Also wants to know how you are going to get the power to your braking system.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
It is the trip reading and odometer. It resets itself to the default setting. We like the setting where it tells you how many more miles you have before you run out of fuel so I have to reset that - minor problem.
The braking system only requires 2 wires to the car - a simple plug. One of the wires connects to the battery and "charges" it as you travel. The auxillary vacume pump is activated each time you apply the brakes in the motorhome, so the battery could be discharged without that connection.
I tried a Brake Buddy then tried the USGear system. It came with the motorhome I bought 2 years ago. I put it into a 2006 Corolla last year - hard to do re the pedals being close together.
I am presently putting it into the Honda. Should be much easier as there is no clutch pedal and the other 2 are farther appart.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM
It is the trip reading and odometer. It resets itself to the default setting. We like the setting where it tells you how many more miles you have before you run out of fuel so I have to reset that - minor problem.
The braking system only requires 2 wires to the car - a simple plug. One of the wires connects to the battery and "charges" it as you travel. The auxillary vacume pump is activated each time you apply the brakes in the motorhome, so the battery could be discharged without that connection.
I tried a Brake Buddy then tried the USGear system. It came with the motorhome I bought 2 years ago. I put it into a 2006 Corolla last year - hard to do re the pedals being close together.
I am presently putting it into the Honda. Should be much easier as there is no clutch pedal and the other 2 are farther appart.
Thank you so much for the info. One more question. When the battery was low and we turned the wheel it would stop turning about halfway into the turn. Can this be because of the low battery. The techs have no idea.