Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Towing 2013 Ford Edge

I've seen some posts on towing a 2013 Ford Edge but my question is WHICH Edge can be towed? Our car is a front wheel and we've been told ONLY the ALL WHEEL can be towed 4 down. We just got back from a trip where we towed it on a tow dolly and had THREE dolly blow outs on the same side. First one even took out the whole dolly section...tire, wheel, axle, fender...the whole thing. It would be a lot nicer if we could tow it 4 down which is why we got it in the first place. Thanks for any info you can give.
sheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm towing a 2009 Lincoln MKX and have since it was new. My research before purchase confirmed it MUST be AWD for towing wheels down.
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #3

The FMCA towing guide says your Edge is towable IF is not equipped with the 2.0 liter eco-boost engine.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #4

This site has helped me a bunch in my research for current and future toads.

Store : Remco

Regards,
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
You are correct in that only the Edge AWD models can be towed 4 down (without any modifications and with the correct engine and no adaptive cruise control etc ). I recently purchased a 2013 Edge and checked the owners manual before I bought.

I also bought a F150 Supercrew 4X4 eariler which can also be towed 4 down, but again only the 4x4 can be towed this way.

Do a search for the 2013 Dinghy Towing Guide but watch out as some sites require you to pay for it. The below site provides the PDF for free.

http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/images/...yGuide2013.pdf

Again, just want to add that you need to confirm with the owners manual that you can tow 4 down (found under recreational towing in most cases).

Chris
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
According to the 2013 towing guide, both the 2013 AWD and FWD Edge v-6 can be towed 4 down at speeds not to exceed 65 mph. Also, start the engine and run for 5 minutes beginning each day and every 6 hours. The 2.0 liter EcoBoost I-4 engine cannot be towed four down.

I have a 2013 Lincoln MKX FWD 6 cyl and I tow it four down. It is basically an Edge on steroids. (Little quieter ride and maybe some luxury items.)

I went with the Blue Ox base plate (for adaptive cruise control) and towbar.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #7

Your owner's manual should be the first place you look. If it says OK then You can tow it and Ford has to warranty any problems.

Be cautious with all other sources.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
According to the 2013 towing guide, both the 2013 AWD and FWD Edge v-6 can be towed 4 down at speeds not to exceed 65 mph. Also, start the engine and run for 5 minutes beginning each day and every 6 hours. The 2.0 liter EcoBoost I-4 engine cannot be towed four down.

I have a 2013 Lincoln MKX FWD 6 cyl and I tow it four down. It is basically an Edge on steroids. (Little quieter ride and maybe some luxury items.)

I went with the Blue Ox base plate (for adaptive cruise control) and towbar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Your owner's manual should be the first place you look. If it says OK then You can tow it and Ford has to warranty any problems.

Be cautious with all other sources.
I absolutely agree to be cautious of sources. As clarification the information I provided was out of the FMCA web site on towing. If you are a member you can get the information there.

or

From the 2013 Edge Manual:
=============
"Towing

Vehicles Equipped with a 3.5L or 3.7L Engine
Note: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to
prevent exhaust fumes from entering your vehicle. See the
Climate Control chapter.

Follow these guidelines if you have a need for recreational towing, such

as towing your vehicle behind a motorhome or truck. We designed these
guidelines to prevent damage to your vehicle after it is hooked-up to the
recreational vehicle or tow dolly.

You can tow your front-wheel drive vehicle with all four wheels on the
ground or with the front wheels off the ground by using a tow dolly. If
you are using a tow dolly, follow the instructions specified by the
equipment provider. If you are towing with all four wheels on the ground,
see the following instructions.

You can tow your all-wheel drive vehicle with all four wheels on the
ground or with all four wheels off the ground using a vehicle transport
trailer. Do not tow your all-wheel drive vehicle with the front wheels off
the ground (by using a tow dolly) and the rear wheels on the ground.
This causes damage to your all-wheel drive system. If you are using a
vehicle transport trailer, follow the instruction specified by the
equipment provider. If you are towing with all four wheels on the ground,
see the following instructions.

If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground:
• Tow only in the forward direction.
• Release the parking brake.
• Place the transmission in position N.
•Place the ignition in the accessory position. See the Starting and Stopping the Engine
chapter.
• Do not exceed 65 mph (105 km/h).
• Start the engine and allow it to run for five minutes at the beginning of each day and every six hours thereafter. With the engine running and your foot on the brake, shift into position D and then into position R before shifting back into position N."
============

So according to the manual that should have come with the vehicle, and on page 255 from the Ford Web Site Manual you can tow AWD or FWD by following their instructions.

You will need a base plate, tow bar, and breaking system. I personally use Air Force One.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheim View Post
I've seen some posts on towing a 2013 Ford Edge but my question is WHICH Edge can be towed? Our car is a front wheel and we've been told ONLY the ALL WHEEL can be towed 4 down. We just got back from a trip where we towed it on a tow dolly and had THREE dolly blow outs on the same side. First one even took out the whole dolly section...tire, wheel, axle, fender...the whole thing. It would be a lot nicer if we could tow it 4 down which is why we got it in the first place. Thanks for any info you can give.
Yes the fwd and awd V6 engine can be towed 4 down we towed a 2011 Edge before we traded it for the F150 and of all the toads that i have had the Edge was and is our favorite. Be sure to add a charge line from the coach chassis battery to the toad battery or you might experince a dead battery on long tows.
You state that you had three dolly blow outs on your last trip, sounds like the hub was welded to tow axle out of line, if both was on the same side then that one out of line. Check your tow in with a tape measure or string.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
...Be sure to add a charge line from the coach chassis battery to the toad battery or you might experience a dead battery on long tows...
Agreed. Easy to do. I didn't use a regulator, that you can buy, if you want. I just ran a power feed that is fused at 15A at the TOAD's battery and near the coach's trailer connector. If the battery in the TOAD is charged it should never draw more than 15A. This has worked for me for the last 2 years.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
YC1

Towing a 2012 FWD with the V6. I do have the adaptive cruise. There are tow plates to accomidate that but as an Electronic Tech I just moved mine and did some tweaking to re-aim it. Works great.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
YC good idea i made sure the Edge we bought didnt have adaptive Cruse because i didnt think they could be moved and sure didnt want a 27 inch high hook up.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing