Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2016, 06:40 PM   #1

Towing 2016 Ford Explorer

Anyone towing a 2016 Ford Explorer 4x4 with the 3.5 L eco boost 4 flat?If so any problems?
elyost3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Towing a 2016 Ford Explorer 3.5 L two wheel drive limited. Have towed it about 2500 miles so far with no problems. Pretty sure you can tow the 4 wheel drive but check your owners manual.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #3

What system are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 05-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Blackhawk 2 All Terran tow bar and base plate brackets. Air Force One braking system.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #5

Hi, I just purchased a new 2017 Ford Explorer AWD with 3.5 ecoboost engine and adaptive cruise control.

I am new to towing and am trying to figure out what I need to do in order to tow it. I am a little confused by the requirement to disconnect the battery.

Does anyone here know:
  • when towing with the battery disconnected and then you later reconnect the battery, do you lose all of your settings for your car?
  • is the purpose of disconnecting the battery so that it does not discharge while the car is being towed? or is there some other, more important purpose, like protecting the engine or transmission or something?
  • is it possible to supply voltage to the battery from the motorhome while it is being towed so you don't have to disconnect the battery?
  • if the battery is disconnected, how are the car's turn signals, brakes, and brake lights going to work?

I want to be extra safe and purchase a very heavy duty tow bar--the Explorer weighs about 5,000lbs. Any recommendations for:
  • base plate for the Explorer;
  • supplemental braking system;
  • tow bar;
  • tow bar guard; and
  • anything else needed to tow.

Any recommendations and advice are much appreciated.
san jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #6

I've got a 2011 that I'm going to put a roadmaster base plate and I have the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and braking system that I like a lot it's simple and easy to hook up
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #7

San Jose has asked some good questions! Anyone have answers?
pbrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by san jose View Post
Hi, I just purchased a new 2017 Ford Explorer AWD with 3.5 ecoboost engine and adaptive cruise control.

I am new to towing and am trying to figure out what I need to do in order to tow it. I am a little confused by the requirement to disconnect the battery.

Does anyone here know:
  • when towing with the battery disconnected and then you later reconnect the battery, do you lose all of your settings for your car?
  • is the purpose of disconnecting the battery so that it does not discharge while the car is being towed? or is there some other, more important purpose, like protecting the engine or transmission or something?
  • is it possible to supply voltage to the battery from the motorhome while it is being towed so you don't have to disconnect the battery?
  • if the battery is disconnected, how are the car's turn signals, brakes, and brake lights going to work?

I want to be extra safe and purchase a very heavy duty tow bar--the Explorer weighs about 5,000lbs. Any recommendations for:
  • tow bar;
  • tow bar guard; and

Getting ready to buy an Explorer also and would like hear the answers Or maybe a 2017 Escape FWD and just tow with a Master Tow dolly. Looking for some input..

thanks
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by san jose View Post

Does anyone here know:

• tow bar;
  • tow bar guard; and

San Jose

Did you ever get any answers to the battery disconnect issue? I have read the owners manuals for 2015 and 16. The battery disconnect was not mentioned for 2015 but is for the 2016. I would like to think that there is some reason for the change. If it is a battery drain issue then adding a charger would work -- if it is somethings else then I guess a battery disconnect is needed and maybe even a charger. There are several threads on this but none appear conclusive.

Peter and Jan
2014 Canyon Star 3911
pbrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Getting ready to buy an Explorer also and would like hear the answers Or maybe a 2017 Escape FWD and just tow with a Master Tow dolly. Looking for some input..

thanks
Ended up buying a 2016 Ford Edge the owner manual under towing behind a motor home say's to disconnect the negative battery terminal.

Having Roadmaster base plate and wiring done next Thursday. I will let everyone know what happens to all the present computer things on the car.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #11

Joet,

I have a 2008 Lincoln MKX which is essentially a Ford Edge, with different seats and radio. (Lincoln would have you think there is more, but I am not so sure)

The base plate add for my car was quite an extensive install, I had to remove the whole nose to install it. I believe it is actually an improvement to the car, and makes the car stronger and more rigid in the front end.

As for the lights, questioned previously, I added a kit to the tail lights that employs some diodes and wiring that isolate the tail lights from the car's power systems. The tail lights on the car are powered by the motor home.

Personally, I cannot address the battery terminal instructions, because in my year of car, I do not have to remove the battery terminal. I am required however to keep the car ignition switch in the accessory position. Perhaps the newer computers are unable to deal with the long times in that position. My cars instructions suggest I do idle the car for 5 minutes before towing and at all fuel stops.

Good luck with your Edge. I am sure it will tow well, as mine does. Heavy, but not too bad. (I have an old gasser motor home.) I actually get marginally better mileage with the car in tow, perhaps because it breaks up the draft behind the motor home. (or maybe my MPG figures were wrong)
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:58 AM   #12

KSagal,

My Edge is being done at a Road Master dealer. From what I have read, the battery thing is because of the computer. It also says that every time the battery is disconnected that you will lose all of your presets on clock, radio, etc. you find that out when you read the owners manual. But too late now, we have the car and all of the stuff has been ordered. I will let everyone know how I make out.

Joe.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #13

Towing Ford Explorer

We recently set up 2016 Ford Edge 3.5L for flat towing. Blue Ox tow bar and base plate with Air Force one Stay and Play. So far so good. Tech installed wire from harness to keep battery charged so no reason to disconnect battery. Only issue on Edge was wiring taillights. Not sure if same issue with Explorer. Fortunately we found diagram for correct wiring so that all lights work Good luck.

Gary Snyder
2015 Discovery 40E
2016 Ford Edge
gsnyder4224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnyder4224 View Post
We recently set up 2016 Ford Edge 3.5L for flat towing. Blue Ox tow bar and base plate with Air Force one Stay and Play. So far so good. Tech installed wire from harness to keep battery charged so no reason to disconnect battery. Only issue on Edge was wiring taillights. Not sure if same issue with Explorer. Fortunately we found diagram for correct wiring so that all lights work Good luck.

Gary Snyder
2015 Discovery 40E
2016 Ford Edge
so the only reason for a battery disconnect is because the electronics will run down the battery while the engine is running??? I wish ford would just tell you that in the owners manual

Tags
ford, tow, towing