Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

Towing 2017 Hyundai Elantra 4 down

Does anyone tow a 2017 Hyundai Elantra manual transmission 4 down? Hyundai says it is towable and to push the start button one time without touching the brake and clutch pedals. This turns on some of the electronics and will drain the battery. As this vehicle does not have a steering wheel lock, I wonder why it has to be put in the acc position? Any help will be appreciated.
fulltimer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltimer01 View Post
Does anyone tow a 2017 Hyundai Elantra manual transmission 4 down? Hyundai says it is towable and to push the start button one time without touching the brake and clutch pedals. This turns on some of the electronics and will drain the battery. As this vehicle does not have a steering wheel lock, I wonder why it has to be put in the acc position? Any help will be appreciated.

The only reason is to activate the electric power steering to prevent a condition called "bump steer." Bump steer occurs when making a turn at slow seeds over uneven surfaces and the steering tends to over correct when straightening out and cause a violent back and forth oscillation of the front wheels. You could tow in the off position with a couple bungee cords looped through the steering wheel and attached under the seat bottom to keep a centering force on the steering wheel.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You may still need to do what they say if you need power to the outlet for your aux brake which may not be there with the car completely off.
In any case, installing a charge line to the MH will fix the dead battery issue.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The only reason is to activate the electric power steering to prevent a condition called "bump steer." Bump steer occurs when making a turn at slow seeds over uneven surfaces and the steering tends to over correct when straightening out and cause a violent back and forth oscillation of the front wheels. You could tow in the off position with a couple bungee cords looped through the steering wheel and attached under the seat bottom to keep a centering force on the steering wheel.
Where did you come by this information?
I am considering purchasing a new 2018 Elantra Sport with 6 speed manual tranny. I too have read where the Hyundai needs to be in ACC and was wondering why this was. I had not been able to find an explanation anywhere.
I currently have a 2012 Elantra with auto tranny that I tow on a dolly. I love this car, but the dolly hookup is really becoming a hassle for me and the DW. We are looking for a small 4 door sedan that can be towed 4 down that I can just hookup and go. The manual trans is not an issue for us, as we both sort of enjoy the manual anyway and it will save us a few $ on the price. The Elantra seems to fit the requirements except, for the battery drain while key is in ACC. Can someone please explain about the battery charging connection from the MH?

Thanks,

Hopefully the OP will excuse my hijacking of this thread
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Where did you come by this information?

Thanks,

Hopefully the OP will excuse my hijacking of this thread
I spent 27 years in various product engineering and technical compliance assignments with one of the world's largest automotive manufacturers.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #6

I have a Kia Soul 2015, manual that i flat tow. Love it
Old 08-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkenhall View Post
I have a Kia Soul 2015, manual that i flat tow. Love it
Do you tow with the key in ACC position? If so, do you have a charging cable?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #8

After I turn off the motorhome
Old 08-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #9

Sorry about that. After I stop the motor I leave the key in the ignition in the off position
Old 08-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Sorry about that. After I stop the motor I leave the key in the ignition in the off position
Ok, thanks. You haven't had any problems doing that?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #11

None. The steering wheel is not locked
Old 08-16-2017, 07:34 PM   #12

Re:Towing 2017 Hyundai Elantra 4 down

Since first posting this thread, I have received more info from Hyundai. I now have two e-mails saying that the Elantra Sport with MANUAL TRANSMISSION can be towed 4 down without putting the ignition in ACC. If you want the info please PM me with your e-mail address and I will send a copy of the e-mails.
fulltimer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
None. The steering wheel is not locked
Hmm, you haven't run into the bump steer issue then?
Does your owners manual say to put it in ACC?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:09 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltimer01 View Post
Since first posting this thread, I have received more info from Hyundai. I now have two e-mails saying that the Elantra Sport with MANUAL TRANSMISSION can be towed 4 down without putting the ignition in ACC. If you want the info please PM me with your e-mail address and I will send a copy of the e-mails.
Oh really! I am pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on a 2018 elantra sport manual transmission tomorrow.
PM sent

Tags
tow, towing