Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 05:42 AM   #1

Towing 2021 Wrangler - Wiring Harness

I'm getting ready to tow a 2021 Wrangler and have been reading various forums about doing this. I've read comments that the Wrangler will disable the lights after the ignition has been turned off for 30 seconds or so thus negating the need for any diodes or switches

If the above is true I'm confused about the need for diodes or switches. I see places advertising their solution for the 2021 Wrangler including diodes or CoolTech which includes a switch.

So how are folks wiring up the 2021 Wrangler? Are diodes or a switch required?

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Yes, the new Wrangler JLs and Gladiator JT's will de-activate the brake lights a few minutes after the last door is closed. The benefit of this is when you have an aux braking system that moves the brake pedal, the Jeep's own brake lights won't over-ride a turn signal input from the Motorhome.

It is still prudent to isolate the wires going to the lights to eliminate any back-feeding into the Jeeps sophisticated electronics. Fundamentally, you have 3 choices; 1) The OEM wiring kit; 2) The Cool Tech Kit, or; 3) A universal diode kit. You have to remember who is writing - but I would recommend 1) or 2) above because both have been engineered for the JL.

Our Cool Tech kit achieves a true physical isolation which completely eliminates the need for diodes. Either the Jeep is connected to its lights or the motorhome is. At no time are both connected so it is just a physical impossibility to have any back-feeding.

I wouldn't advocate the use of the universal diode kits on the JL when better solutions exist.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:18 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Just completed wiring up the cooltech kit on my sister's new '21. Couldn't have been easier I don't think. The switch mounted next to the passenger seat out of the way and the wiring was all done right there under the trim of the passenger door sill. Only word of caution is that if you have the blue ox base plate and opt for the cooltech 6 pin plug, it won't fit into the mounting plate without spacing it out a little or trimming some of the excess depth from the back of the plug as the plug brand they send is longer than the standard blue-ox plug. Not a big deal, and not everyone uses the blue ox plate either.
Holmrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the info.

Tom
Old 02-26-2021, 01:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
After looking at my friend's Mopar wiring harness laying on his workbench, and reading about all that is involved in installing it, I went with the Cooltech system.
After my friend saw my Cooltech system, and how easy it was to install, he returned his Mopar harness and we installed a Cooltech on his Gladiator. He came out money ahead, and we both drug our Gladiators all around last summer and fall with no problems.
I can't wait to start dragging it around this camping season!
I only forgot to flip the switch back to "Jeep" once, but my Gladiator let me know it right away.
I've used magnetic lights, and a Hopkins harness on previous Jeeps. The Cooltech by far is my favorite.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:14 AM   #6

Blue ox base plate installation cost for a 2018 Lincoln MKX
GGodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:06 AM   #7

The 12 volt outlet in the front of the 2021 Jeep wrangler does not stay on. I need a 12 volt outlet for the RVi brake. On a Jeep Liberty there was a easy change in the fuse box under the hood to make the outlet stay powered continually. I haven't had a chance to contact Jeep but has anybody came across this problem and other than running a cord to the rear 12 volt outlet which is hot all the time, or running a new outlet direct from the battery.
Captsilvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know about the '21 models but our '17 Wrangler has a 12V outlet in the center console that is constant 12V.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:01 AM   #9

I used the mopar harness on my JK and JL. My JT is a work in progress. I used mopar harness as it was semi factory. On both I installed a 7 way RV plug on the grill and have a jumper vs coiling cable up under hood.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #10

Curt also makes a dinghy wiring harness with integrated diodes https://www.curtmfg.com/all-products...4/RV+Harnesses

I just installed one of these type harnesses on my 2017 Jeep Cherokee, I am not sure where they hide the diodes in there, but they are there on the Cherokee harness as confirmed by my multimeter.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #11

Cool tech also makes an adapter to keep front 12v outlet hot continuously for use of a rvibrake.
hpdrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #12

Hopkins 56210

i just bought a 2021 Jeep Wrangler and am looking for the wiring kit for lights. Seems like the Hopkins 56210 is quite easy to install. I emailed Hopkins to see if I need the 56200 or the 56210. I saw an install with the 56200 on UTube on a 2021 Jeep. am not sure which one to buy. The jeep lights will hook up to the rv . no 12v used here. Following your post to see what others say.
CaptMisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, wiring