Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi all, This one has even Remco stumped!! I got a 1990 Isuzu trooper with a 5-Speed stick and is 4X4 with a manual transfer case. they can't make a call one way or the other. They don't show a disconnect for it and they couldn't find it in the books to say one way or another!! The transfer case shifter has 2 HI, 4 HI, And 4 LOW No Neutral but I can get it to shift to a neutral position when i shift it between 4Hi and 4Low.. With the stick even if the transfer case in 2 Hi and the trans in Neutral should it be ok?? Has anyone towed the trooper,any other bad news?? Anyone??
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi all, This one has even Remco stumped!! I got a 1990 Isuzu trooper with a 5-Speed stick and is 4X4 with a manual transfer case. they can't make a call one way or the other. They don't show a disconnect for it and they couldn't find it in the books to say one way or another!! The transfer case shifter has 2 HI, 4 HI, And 4 LOW No Neutral but I can get it to shift to a neutral position when i shift it between 4Hi and 4Low.. With the stick even if the transfer case in 2 Hi and the trans in Neutral should it be ok?? Has anyone towed the trooper,any other bad news?? Anyone??
Old 02-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
jfb

My suggestion, and I am serious, is to take your Trooper out to a hill/grade and, with your foot on the brake, and the transmission in nuetral, run through all the positions of the transfer case and see if it will "coast" away with you. If it does, on any setting of you transfer case, the it is probably safe to tow four down. If the transfer case does have a "neutral" position, however marked, it should allow the rig to roll with the transmission in any position. For example, my Jeep Cherokee is ready to go if the transmission is in "Park", the transfer case is in "Neutral" and the ignition key is set at "ACC".
jfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Playing around like you said, It has a free wheeling spot between 4Lo and 4Hi. It doesn't say there is a Neutral on the knob and or the book and that Remco was stumped, That made me shudder with fear! It also has a 5 speed stick and I was thinking that if I could hit that free wheel and then put the tranny in neutral too it may not damage anything..
Old 02-19-2008, 02:13 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Capt. Dan;
I ran into a very similar situation with my 1993 explorer sport. After talking with a Ford guru I found out that just being in nutral does not make it safe to tow long distances. The rear bearings in the transfer case can sieze from lack of lubrication if the driveshaft is allowed to turn. If you know the manufacturer of your differential Remco may have a disconnect that will fit. They were very helpful to me. I sent them my driveshaft and they made the modifications and returned it to me within two weeks. It took me about three hours to install and get everything adjusted.
Good luck with your project.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:10 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
My concern with the Trooper is that not having a fixed neutral position, the transfer case could slip out of the "unofficial" neutral position and back into gear from road bumps and vibration.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
route 66:
Glad you brought that up. I heard about a porshe owner that had just that experiance. It destroyed the engine and transaxle. "Bet that was expensive"
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #8

I recently posted for a 1991 Wrangler TOAD. The T case has an oiling system to keep everything oiled while towing and to put the Tranny in a gear to keep the tranny oiled. This can change from model to model and year to year depending upon the manufacturer and model of the T case.

I would contact a good 4x4 offroad mechanic or the dealership to find out what your vehicle has and does not have and how best to tow 4 down. Do a web search for an Trooper offroad forum and then ask there.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
All good answers but The dealer has no idea and recommended that to call Remco and they shrug there arms and said nothing one way or another...I have been on another forum that is for the Isuzu's and nothing so far. For the time being I will see if someone out there somewhere has ever toad one of these. i might have to build me a toy hauler to put the trooper in as we go down the road. Heavy though. Thanks, and i will let you know if i can find out
It looks like the trooper needs a disconnect on the rear so I got to get one,Thanks,