Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #1

towing 4 down

Has anyone towed a ford edge ?
juppi0627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I tow its cousin, the Lincoln MKX, It tows great, over 10K miles so far, no problems.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They can be towed four down. http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/output.cfm?id=2450071
Be careful on which base plate you select. Either Roadmaster or Blue Ox (can't remember which one), has the tabs mounted fairly high, which may require a drop hitch receiver turned up side down to properly line up with the MH receiver.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
We tow a 2008 AWD Edge with now problems at all.

We use the Roadmaster base plate.
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Blue Ox kit on mine, no drop or rise required.

Dennis
Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #6

I have a 2011 Edge AWD with the push button start option. The instructions for towing say to leave it in neutral (of course) but then it says leaving it in neutral runs the battery down.

So, what is the secret to tow without running the battery down?

DennisZ, does your Lincoln have the push button start?
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
John
It doesn't, but I may have to go look at one, I'm thinking about getting a new one, but if that's true it could be a deal breaker.

Dennis
Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #8

You can tow the edge 4 down and fit a golf cart in the back.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #9

Thanks Dennis. I'm sure the answer is simple and I'm just trying to make it into something bigger. As for the new MKX, which is also billed by FMC as flat towable, it only comes with the pushbutton start. So, maybe I'll visit the Lincoln dealer to see if their manual is more complete.

Monacoach - not sure what you are saying. That maybe i need the golf cart to provide extra batteries for the one in my Edge that may die??
Old 02-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #10

I just pulled up the MKX manual online. Except that it has no reference to using the key in the ignition (because there is no key for the Lincoln) it reads the same as the Edge manual. In the towing section it says to place the tranny in neutral and the ignition to accessory. Then, in the starting section it says that leaving it in neutral with the engine off may cause the battery to drain.

Anybody have any ideas??
Old 02-11-2011, 05:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Monacoach - not sure what you are saying. That maybe i need the golf cart to provide extra batteries for the one in my Edge that may die??
My parents were looking into purchasing a MKX as a toad and discovered that it towed 4 down with no modifications and that there Cricket golf cart fit in the back. I see alot of people pulling golf carts on trailers that might be interested to know that there is a small compact one that will fit in the back of alot of SUVS.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #12

My Ford dealer finally got back with me and said to put a trickle charger on it that works while the Edge is plugged into to coach. Where they got that answer I don't know because the sales manager was acting as the go between with their shop. So, don't know if it was the shops idea or if they went to one of their national gurus.

Camping World, where the vehicle is today being rigged for towing, doesn't like that idea because power is being provided to the instrument cluster and "could" rack up miles. They consulted with Remco who thought a better solution would be to search for the fuse(s) that make the panel go dark.

If I would have known this I would have bought an Edge with a key, or some other brand.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Camping World, where the vehicle is today being rigged for towing, doesn't like that idea because power is being provided to the instrument cluster and "could" rack up miles.
Maybe you should find someone else to do your toad hook-up. Putting a trickle charger on the toad battery does not power the instrument panel any more (or any less) than the toad's own battery does. The odometer doesn't rack up miles either way.

Get something like the Toad Charge if you are concerned about the battery running down. We used on for awhile on a car that suffered that problem.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #14

Gary,

What Camping World was saying is that I should find a way to take power away from the instrument panel by pulling a fuse rather than letting it display. They are saying that the trickle charger will keep the battery charged but by letting the display continue to be lit up may also cause miles to accumulate. I won't know until I tow it.

On the other hand, if I pull the offending fuse, similar to what GM requires, then we know that miles will not accumulate and the battery won't run down.