Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:09 AM   #29

I have a 2016 Tiffin Allegro 32SA and just bought and installed the blue Ox setup for my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited. It pulls great, granted I only pulled it home from the shop so far - about 30 miles.
The only issue is the Jeep Cherokee Limited comes with all the new electronic gadgets so a special Jeep wiring harness needed to be installed to bypass the vehicle's early warning system and other functions. Other than putting the transfer case into neutral (Active Drive II only) I have to turn on a switch and also install a fuse in the engine compartment. It only takes a minute - not to bad.
DMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2017, 05:35 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I pull a 2010 Honda CRV. Start the engine, go to drive, then to neutral for 3 mins. Turn off the engine, release the brake and go. Book says stay under 65mph. BUT- the tranny changed in 2015, no 4-down towing of the CRV after 2014.
Mikey143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the car manual. Ours gave directions as to steps for towing setup. We are towing Ford automatic in signature . 4000# Set up with Blue Ox hitch, Brake Buddy, tail light kit, and a battery disconnect switch.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if all else fails and you don't want to buy another vehicle to tow you can buy a trailer and load your vehicle on it
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #33

A lot of good advice here.

What I can say is this. For that rig of yours (for weight safety as well as fuel mileage) go smaller than a truck if you're looking that way. All recent model pickups need to be 4x4 and the size/weight won't be nice to you or your gas card.

That said, towing a vehicle 4 down that wasn't deaigned specifically for that use is often poasible, but many times you will need to take more time with it on the road.

For instance, some you will have to leave the key un at least the Aux position, remove some fuses and every time you stop for fuel they need to be started and run for a while to build the battery back up and get the fluids moving. Mostly because the ignition is drawing power to the vehicle while keeping your steering released.

Some vehicles need the drive line dropped out of it and then replaced when you reach your destination.

Much to think about but in the end just know what you will be required to do while towing 4 down and be sure you either can or WANT to go through the process and perform the required tasks.

Good luck and happy motoring!
Cudda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:01 PM   #34

We had a Ford Escape also and it was the same. It could not be towed 4 wheels down. Like it was stated here by someone, look at the dingy info for the year of the car you want to tow and it will give you all the info you need for your decision. We ended up with a jeep cherokee. It has no limits
Runowskib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #35

It cannot be towed flat-4. Check here page 11:
http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...Tgde_Oct19.pdf

We bought a 2015 Ford Focus because it can be flat-4 towed. We really wanted an Escape but at the time it could not.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDavid View Post
I tow a 2011 Ford Edge, warm up to operating temperature, put in neutral, accessory mode on ignition , parking brake off and go. But I have a 2006 DSDP with 10,000 lbs. towing capacity. Ford Edge is the only Ford product that Ford says can be towed with 4 wheels on ground. A lot of our Camping group who have Gas units and 5,000 lbs capacity are very happy with the Honda CR-V. But as stated above if it doesn't say it in writing in the owners manual don't believe anyone on their say so.
I'm glad to hear the 2011 Edge has been fine for you. I'm just getting ready to set mine up... have to locate & install a plate. I have the Blue Ox tow bar which was used for the previous vehicle (Jeep). I've never had brake assist, and my coach has no issues with the weight.

Do you have any tips or tricks specifically for the edge? Did you hardwire the tail lights & turn signals?
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin4Fun View Post
I'm glad to hear the 2011 Edge has been fine for you. I'm just getting ready to set mine up... have to locate & install a plate. I have the Blue Ox tow bar which was used for the previous vehicle (Jeep). I've never had brake assist, and my coach has no issues with the weight.
It is not stopping the weight by the tow vehicle, it is what stops the toad if it should break-away. A free wheeling toad is a lethal thing. That is why states have laws about break-away brakes on trailers and a toad in tow is a trailer.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:28 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by acraig106 View Post
Greetings,

My wife and I will be going full time Feb. 1st next year. I have a 2003 Mountain Aire 3778. It is gas, with an 8.1 L Chevy Workhorse.

What kind of vehicle can we pull 4 wheels down. I currently have a 2013 Ford Escape, all wheel drive. Our local Ford dealer says it can't be towed this way period.

Was wanting some input from those with practical experience and if it can't be done, what would the recommended vehicle be.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. We appreciate it.

My first tow vehicle was 2008 Ford Escape front wheel drive, had to use a tow dolly which after few trips found it too much work a. Then I moved to 2014 Ford Focus which I could tow 4 wheels down, agin after a year or so, I decided to switch to tow vehicle which I could tow 4 wheels down and simple to set up for tow. Now my best and final choice is a 2014 Honda CRV all wheel drive, found it very simple and few steps to set up for tow at the same time very nice and comfortable second vehicle. Finally look for a vehicle with very few steps to set up to tow. Fewer steps less chance of screw ups
..good luck in your search
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:56 AM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2016 Ford Expedition 4x4 and it can be flat towed. Push button start eliminates the need for the key in the ignition. We have a diesel pusher RV. The only problem for gassers is the weight of the Expedition is 6000 lbs.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 07:41 AM   #40

As far as the weight issues, I too have no problems with towing my Ford Edge without a brake assist. I usually do not hook up my brake assist when traveling short miles, i.e. To and back from storage and repair shop. But I still leave in California for now, and the law here is anything over 1500 pounds must have a tow assist. I use a Roadmaster Brakemaster for air systems which plugs right into my DSDP air system.
I too have a Blue Ox system and will post pictures of my Ford Edge showing Blue Ox system.
I'm very happy with my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1878.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	163854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1875.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	163855  

Name:	IMG_1872.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	163856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1873.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	163857  

CaptainDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin4Fun View Post
I've never had brake assist, and my coach has no issues with the weight.
How does the emergency break away work without brakes?
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #42

I've attached pics of the small air cylinder which operates the brake pedal while towing and the breakaway cylinder which is underneath the hood incase of a break away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1880.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	163888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1881.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	163889  

Name:	IMG_1879.jpg