RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #1

Towing

Hi all,
I am buying a NewMar Dutch Star and a Jeep to tow. I need to describe to the salesman everything I need on the Jeep in order to make it “tow ready”. I don’t know the lingo. Can someone please describe for me exactly what I need to ask for on the Jeep?
I really appreciate any help I can get, thank you!
Pete
Pete Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2019, 05:55 PM   #2
Motorized toy collector

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Year and model of Jeep would help greatly. As would modifications. Completely stock? Lifted? Stock or aftermarket bumpers?
For my mildly lifted 2016 Wrangler, I wanted to keep the stock bumper and keep the tow bar mounts lower, but protected. Currie Enterprise tow bar mount/skid plate has been working great for me.
TJDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Briscoe View Post
Hi all,
I am buying a NewMar Dutch Star and a Jeep to tow. I need to describe to the salesman everything I need on the Jeep in order to make it “tow ready”. I don’t know the lingo. Can someone please describe for me exactly what I need to ask for on the Jeep?
Pete
You will need a tow bar, tow attachment point on the Jeep, light wiring harness and a braking system. On the Jeep itself, you can install a base plate separate from the bumper or a dedicated bumper with attached tow points. Demco, Blu Ox and Currie are good brands of base plates. Not just any after market bumper is strong enough for towing, but RockHard, LoD and Smittybilt make bumpers that are tow rated. As for lighting, Mopar and Cooltech are the top brands. For brakes, since you will have air brakes on the DS, a dedicated air operated system in the Jeep is the easiest to hook up each time but a little more complicated to install.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Briscoe View Post
Hi all,
Pete
If you're referring to the "RV" salesman here, I would suggest that you find a more qualified tow system installer. Clearly, they have no idea what they're doing.
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #5

I would suggest you call Etrailer and talk to them. Their Customer Service reps will supply all the parts you need to get you up and running. They will do the install too if you happen to be near them place of business. Missouri I believe.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have to explain it to the salesman I would look for another salesman.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RoadMaster also makes very good high strength brackets and towbars been using them since 2004 or so wirh no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:55 AM   #8

If you are referring to the Jeep salesman, he/she probably is clueless. Any good RV salesman will route you to their preferred place to have the installation of the towing equipment for the Jeep or any other towed vehicle. It may be their shop or another shop. You do not need to request any special equipment for the Jeep. the shop will take care of that when they order parts and install them.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If it's the Jeep salesman, I think the issue is that not all Jeep model and configurations are towable at all, i.e. the transmission and/or driveline is not suitable. But since Pete didn't even mention the Jeep brand model or year, it's anybody's guess if this is a concern.

For example, only 4WD Cherokee's with the Two speed Power Transfer are 4-down towable. Grand Cherokees require the Quadra Trac II or Quadra-Drive II system to be towed.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #10

If you are asking what the JEEP should have and you are buying a NEW JEEP you need to make sure it has an Active DriveII transmission .2019 units have this and maybe some 2018's. Anything before that will require after market wiring harness from Mopar Everything else required to flat tow it will be after market stuff and there are many threads on here talking about the many different set ups and products available. Go to e-trailer.com and watch some of the videos on Jeeps and you will become educated by the horses mouth rather than a bunch of fence riding cowboys! Not saying some of these folks don't know what they are talking about but just look how many different opinions there are already in only 10 responses!

Tags
towing, tow