Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2007, 04:10 AM   #1

I've gotten mixed answers on towing my 07 Mini Cooper 6spd. Dealer says ok, MINIUS says no. I see lots of small cars (manual trans) towed. I really don't want a tow dolly. Any suggestions?

06 Mandalay 40E
John&Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2007, 04:10 AM   #2

I've gotten mixed answers on towing my 07 Mini Cooper 6spd. Dealer says ok, MINIUS says no. I see lots of small cars (manual trans) towed. I really don't want a tow dolly. Any suggestions?

06 Mandalay 40E
John&Mona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The only place to get this information is the owners manual. Somewhere in the manual it should address this item. If it does not, call the manufacturer. Regardless of the final decision, the bottom line is one needs to have the information in writing. There may be a procedure to follow to tow and keep the warranty valid.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #4

John&Mona,
The 2007 Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide does not list any version of the Mini Cooper as flat towable. I'd be very leary of what the dealer says. GaryKD is right - read the owner's manual. If MINIUS says no, they should be the authority. If you do tow, as Gary KD says "get it in writing!"

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:18 PM   #5

Your Mini was made for towing. It makes a great toad. Easy to park, does not need additional brakes since it is under the weight requirments and a nice base plate is available.
I have been towing my 2004 MINI-S, six speed since it was new. This was the reason for the purchase. It has followed me twice around the US and Canada without a problem. I have half a dozen friends who do or have done the same.
It has been serviced by BMW and warranty work performed without a hitch. I leave the base plate on and visible and also mention to the techs it is towed behind my coach.
Go for it.
When I leave the MINI at home I tow a automatic, 4x4, diesel, Super-Duty with a Harley in the back.
Two extremes that everyone said I could not tow.
MMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #6

MM, which baseplates did you have installed? How much time was involved? Do you have to leave the key in the ignition when towing?

We tow a 07 Tahoe and I'd like to go the same route you do. For touring all one needs is something very small like a Mini. When we head to FLA and stay in one location for the winter that isn't good enough since we have to head home for Xmas and darned if I'm going to have 3 of us in a Mini for 1400 miles.

I'd just love to have one for touring though - so the more info you can give us the better.

Thanks

Don

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MMouser:
Your Mini was made for towing. It makes a great toad. Easy to park, does not need additional brakes since it is under the weight requirments and a nice base plate is available.
I have been towing my 2004 MINI-S, six speed since it was new. This was the reason for the purchase. It has followed me twice around the US and Canada without a problem. I have half a dozen friends who do or have done the same.
It has been serviced by BMW and warranty work performed without a hitch. I leave the base plate on and visible and also mention to the techs it is towed behind my coach.
Go for it.
When I leave the MINI at home I tow a automatic, 4x4, diesel, Super-Duty with a Harley in the back.
Two extremes that everyone said I could not tow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #7

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Shadow:
MM, which baseplates did you have installed? How much time was involved? Do you have to leave the key in the ignition when towing?

We tow a 07 Tahoe and I'd like to go the same route you do. For touring all one needs is something very small like a Mini. When we head to FLA and stay in one location for the winter that isn't good enough since we have to head home for Xmas and darned if I'm going to have 3 of us in a Mini for 1400 miles.

I'd just love to have one for touring though - so the more info you can give us the better.

Thanks

Don

Don,
The base plate is a BLUE-OX. Since mine was installed in 04, they now offer a hidden connection. It takes a few hours to install, no big deal.
You have the choice of either installing tail light wiring or using a magnet mount system like I do. I like this style since it keeps the lights up high and I can use LED's.
BMW does not allow for any type of splicing in the wiring.
You do have to keep a key in the ignition. The BMW system does not lock untill the key is pulled from the ignition.
Check and double check your steering, shift position and emergency brake before proceeding.
Since the vehicle is so lite you will not know if something has been left ascew.
Run flat tires are not something you want to replace because of a mistake. I wonder how I know that?
Old 05-27-2007, 02:16 AM   #8

Thanks MM, very helpful.

I have a lightbar (goes into the receiver) for my Tahoe since it saves having to put in diodes or separate bulbs. BlueOx told me that most people don't like the lightbar be I sure do. It wouldn't work with a Mini unless there is a receiver for it.

I've been searching Auto Trader in Canada and was surprised to see how well the prices of used Minis have held up. Then looked at the US and found the same thing. I've always thought it would be a great toad so I was pleased to see your report.

I assume it doesn't record the mileage when being towed and you don't have to pull any fuses?

Thanks again

Don
Old 05-27-2007, 07:34 PM   #9

Nope, no power no mileage and no fiddling fuses.
Happy Trails.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:26 AM   #10

I guess I don't understand how the fact that someone is towing a "04" means that it is still ok to do the same with and "07". If the manufacturer says that you cannot do it, would that not be the best source of info?? I know that some Saturns that were once towable were later changed to not towable in later model years.
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:32 AM   #11

I have an '03 Mini Cooper S and am pretty familiar with it's drivetrain. My understanding is that the '07 is basically a whole new car- a little larger, with a completely different engine and trans. You may want to get a blessing from someone who has successfully towed an '07 before doing so. It seems to me,however, that there should be no problem with a manual trans Mini. I think the manufacturers are trying to cover their !#%$ by telling you not to tow 4 down.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:27 AM   #12

Last night (July 31, 2007) we purchased a new 2007 Mini Cooper, manual transmission to tow behind our motorhome.

According to everything we read - from the internet to the owner's manual itself - says that you CAN tow 4-down and WITHOUT the odometer ticking away the miles.

We'll order the Blue Ox tow bar and bracket next week.

Other than nerdy (SORRY!) Saturns, there isn't much choice in lightweight toads!

Prior RVs: Avion travel trailer and Itasca Horizon class A
MarkCinCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:45 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Welcome to irv2. I'm sure you enjoy your new toad. FYI, most if not all GM products tow four down the last I checked. Several others will do the same with some modification to the tranny or the use of a standard shift.
My nerdy Saturn has been fine for us.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ISLAPP:
most if not all GM products tow four down the last I checked.
Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I seem to be doing these days is disagreeing with people and I've got to do it again here Mike.

I think the above is wrong and is a very dangerous statement. NO ONE should act on it and everyone should do a thorough check before assuming anything is towable 4 down.

For example, NOT ONE Cadillac is listed on the FMCA 2007 list of towables.

The only Chev's towable without modifications are the Cobalt, HHR and Malibu (in addition to SUV's and trucks other than those with AWD versions that do not have a transfer case). That leaves out, for example, my wife's Equinox, the Aveo, Impala, Corvette, Monte Carlo and Uplander.

FMCA doesn't even have a list for Buick - but I'd assume that since the new Enclave has the same drive train as the Outlook and Acadia it will be on. That leaves out LaCrosse, Lucerne, Rainier, Rendezvous and Terraza.

Pontiac - just the G5 and G6 with automatic and the Vibe with manual transmission only. That leaves out the Solstice, Grand Prix, Torrent, GXP, GTO and SV6 (Montana).

Most but not all Saturns ARE towable but one has to watch year by year since some years very few were.

As I said, a very dangerous statement to say all GM are towable. MOST, in fact, are NOT.

Same advice applies to all other manufacturers.

Don