Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
BFL

Forest River Owners Club
Evergreen Owners Club
Towing a 2010 JK with a class C

I need some advice from Jeep owners out there.
I just bought a 2010 Jeep JK for a tow vehicle. It's an automatic and I've had a Blue Ox system installed on it.
My problem is I've gotten conflicting stories on how to put it in tow mode and how to take it out of tow mode as well as the position to leave the ignition in when towing it.
Advice is appreciated!
Ben
BFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #2

Here's the Dinghy towing guide for 2010. There are general instructions for your vehicle.

https://webcontent.goodsam.com/DinghyGuide2010.pdf

I would think there is a section in the owners manual (page 425 is where it starts) for what to do for 4 down towing. I would definitely look there for more specific info.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #3

If you don't have the manual, here's a link:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...?page=1#manual
Old 03-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi, the conflicting info, IMO, stems from the change Jeep made with the lock on the steering wheel years ago, while not updating owners manuals at the same exact time. Sometime in 2008, Jeep did away with the steering wheel locks on Wranglers.

We have two Wranglers that we have flat towed. The flat towing procedure is identical with the exception of the ignition setting.
The older 04 requires a key in the ignition on "first forward click" to unlock the steering wheel, but have no power drain on the battery. On our 2016 Wrangler, there is no steering lock, so key is off and comes with me in the motorhome. Transfer case in neutral, and shifter in PARK on both. Seems odd, but that's how you do it, according to the manual, to avoid transfer case damage.

An important step in both Jeeps is do not move the shifter into PARK with the transfer case in neutral while the engine is running.

Unhooking is just the reverse. Put the key in, move tranny shifter out of park into N, shift transfer case back to 2H, tranny back to park, set emergency brake and unhook the tow bar. Do not start it with the transmission in Park and the transfer case in neutral.

That's how we have done it for many years. Happy camping and exploring!
Old 03-15-2020, 07:26 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Transfer case to neutral (disconnects and freewheels).

Transmission to park (prevents parasitic drag from turning transmission components).

Take key out of ignition (2010 - no starting wheel lock).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFL View Post
I just bought a 2010 Jeep JK for a tow vehicle. It's an automatic and I've had a Blue Ox system installed on it.
My problem is I've gotten conflicting stories on how to put it in tow mode and how to take it out of tow mode as well as the position to leave the ignition in when towing it.
Advice is appreciated!
Ben
Ben,
"Conflicting stories"? By who? If there are conflicting stories on that, it's because the people giving the advice are CLUELESS! The very, very first thing you need to do is, READ THE OWNERS MANUAL! It spells out each and every step on what to do, in prep for towing and, after you've towed it, how to get back into the driving mode.
Now, as has been stated, SOME of the Jeep owners manuals did have some info that was incorrect. Jeep knows all about it and, has attempted to correct the situation. Not all owners got the memo.

Normally, I don't advise on the procedure due to it being in the manual but, if the Jeep you just bought has NEVER been in 4WD (thousands of them haven't 'cause the owners had no intent of running them off road, when they bought them), then what could happen is, you'd find it tough to get the Transfer case out of NEUTRAL position, and into 2WD after it's been towed. It's quite normal, there's nothing wrong with yours.

Primarily this is due to stiff and unused cable shifting components in the transfer case. The more that unit is put into and out of, four wheel drive, the easier and easier that shifting gets. Since we use our '15 Jeep JKUR in 4WD on a regular basis, and, I use four wheel LOW quite a bit, that shifting mechanism on ours, is like butter, not worn out, just shifts nice and easily.

But, the owners manual states that, when disconnecting from the RV, shift the T/C to 2WD and you're ready to go. Well, that's easier said than done, especially on units that have never been into or out of 4WD. So, what I've advised many, many times on here and other RV forums is, when disconnecting from the coach, and shifting that T/C, put it in whatever gear it will let you. And that can be 4 wheel low, 4 wheel high etc.

Now the purists would get their panties in a wad over this advice saying: "No, no, no, don't drive it ON THE STREET in 4WD"!!!!!!!!! Well the thing is, I'm not advising to DRIVE IT ON THE STREET, in 4WD. All I'm advising is, back away from the coach, in whatever the T/C will let you put it in. Once the gears have relaxed from the bit-of-a-bind they've been in while towing, NOW it will be easy for you to get it into 2WD. All you have to do is move it a few feet in 4WD and, that's just moving it straight behind you and, that T/C will now be easier to shift. DONE! But again, using 4WD on a somewhat regular basis, as in say, at least maybe once a month or more, will wear in those shifting components, and make shifting it much, much easier.

One more thing. If you tow your new Jeep for any length of time, once you disconnect it and take it for a drive, you're gonna notice an odd, sort of *burned rubber smell*. DON'T PANIC! Your Jeep's just fine. The explanation of what you're sniffing after you first drive it, right after towing it, is simple. When you drive your Jeep, under normal circumstances, your exhaust system runs HOT and, anything and everything that may come in contact with it, as in dirt, debris, dust, tire dust, weeds, water, mud etc. is immediately burned off and, you do not notice or smell it.

But, when your Jeep is towed, it's exhaust system is COLD! And therefore, if anything comes in contact with it, same as above, it may accumulate on that exhaust system and just sit there. But, you start it up, disconnect it from the coach and, go for a drive to dinner or where ever and, now that exhaust system is heating up to its normal temp. It's also now burning off, whatever's been deposited on it during towing, see, simple huh? Good luck with your new toy, they're a fun vehicle. We've had NINE of them.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:41 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFL View Post
Advice is appreciated!
Ben
Your OWNERS Manual has all the data you need. If you don't have one, down load it from FCA.
Some times the procedure changes from year to year so READ the Owners Manual.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #8

FWIW - we have a 2008 JKS that does have the steering lock. We just use a "dumb" key (standard blank) w/o chip that allows ignition switch to be turned on so th steering is unlockedk is unlocked. We also have a knife switch on the battery to disconnect the electrical system when being flat towed.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:52 AM   #9

2009 is when they removed the lock.

Transfer case in Neutral, Transmission in Park, Key in pocket.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:30 AM   #10

@ Fire Up (Scott) - From one who has just switched toads from a Nissan Xterra to a Wrangler JLU, thanks for the very helpful info!

Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #11
Commercial Member

The steering wheel lock removal was done as a running change during the 2008 model year. As such, ALL 2007's will need to have the key in the ignition and turned to the first detent to un-lock the steering wheel. Some 2008's will also have the lock, and some won't - you'll just need to test your Jeep (easy enough). 2009+ JK's and all 2018+ JL will not have the steering wheel lock and don't require a key.

If you have a 2007 JK or a 2008 with the lock, you must turn the ignition key to the first position to un-lock the steering wheel - but which unfortunately also turns on the ignition. For these vehicles, you should either disconnect the battery OR remove the large (IOD) Ignition Off Draw fuse.
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichaud View Post
@ Fire Up (Scott) - From one who has just switched toads from a Nissan Xterra to a Wrangler JLU, thanks for the very helpful info!

Mickey
Mickey,
You're more than welcome Sir. We've owned, modified, towed and used (moderate to severe off roading) 9 Jeep Wranglers in the past 35+ years so, so setting up a Jeep Wrangler for towing and using, is old hat to us. Sometimes folks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overthink much of what's involved. Our present one is a '15 JKUR with a moderate leveling kit, 315 A/T's on 17" American Racing/Anson Off Road wheels. We've done years and years of the Moab Jeep Safari and many, many other places across this U.S. and, have had lots of fun.

Without a doubt, the Jeep Wrangler, almost no matter what year, is very close to the top of the list of towed vehicles. I've not been involved with setting up a JL but, I'm suspecting that the mechanics of it, are very, close to all the previous years of Wranglers. Now, as I understand it, the JL's have some form of Electronic Assist Power Steering so, maybe there's some actions needed in prep for towing that I'm not aware of. Others are more enlightened in this matter than I am.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

Without a doubt, the Jeep Wrangler, almost no matter what year, is very close to the top of the list of towed vehicles. I've not been involved with setting up a JL but, I'm suspecting that the mechanics of it, are very, close to all the previous years of Wranglers. Now, as I understand it, the JL's have some form of Electronic Assist Power Steering so, maybe there's some actions needed in prep for towing that I'm not aware of. Others are more enlightened in this matter than I am.
Scott

I have read the owner's manual, and don't remember seeing anything regarding the steering. Will double check before we set out on our first trip.

I've installed the Demco baseplate, removed the Invisibrake from the Xterra and installed it and a new wiring and plumbing kit, along with a new tail light wiring kit in the Wrangler, so we're all set!

Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, tow, towing