Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2021, 07:43 AM   #1

Towing a 2012 Honda CRV

Hello Everyone,

I am purchasing a 2012 Honda CRV-EXL as a towed vehicle. I read the manual and how to put it into tow mode. I went through the procedure. There was no dash light or other indication that the car was ready to tow. Is there suppose to be something that says you are in tow mode? If not, how are you assured it is? If you CRV owners can help me out with this so I don’t make any mistakes and ruin the transmission.

Also, when I purchased my RV, the previous owner included all the Blue Ox towing equipment including a Patriot Brake Buddy. I thing I am all set on the RV side for towing. I know I will have to get a base plate installed on the Honda and lights. I saw a YouTube video that there is a wiring harness for the lights. Is that the best way to do the lights? What other components will I need to set up the car for towing. If there are other things that will make the whole set up easier I would like to know.

Thanks, as always
VC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #2

I'm not aware of the CRV having a specific factory tow mode. There's a pre-tow procedure where you start the engine and run it through the gears prior to towing, but that's all I'm aware of. If towing for a longer distance, it's suggested you pull the accessory fuse.

Here's the procedure copied from the manual:

"Start the engine.

Press on the brake pedal. Shift the
lever through all the positions (P,
R, N, D, 2,1)
Shift to D, then to N. Let the
engine run for three minutes, then
turn off the engine.

Release the parking brake.

Leave the ignition switch in
ACCESSORY (I) so the steering
wheel does not lock. Make sure
the radio and any items plugged
into the accessory power sockets
are turned off so you do not run
down the battery.

Extended Towing
If you tow more than 300 miles (500
km) in one day, you should repeat
the above procedure at least every
300 miles (500 km), (when you stop
for fuel, etc.)

If you have a switch marked Tow/Drive or something like that, it's an aftermarket addition that takes the place of pulling the accessory fuse. The previous owner of our 2013 CRV added one.

There is a button on the shift lever that is used if you are using the CRV to tow a light load. It just prevents the transmission from going into overdrive. This is not used when you tow your CRV behind the RV.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #3
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is no light indicating the car is in tow mode. Just follow the steps in the owners manual to the letter. Part of our departure procedure includes a visual light check as well as a roll check to be sure all 4 wheels are rotating freely.

I used a Hopkins light kit that just plugs into the factory harness.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:02 AM   #4

Just read and follow the manual steps. The important part is you MUST go to neutral from drive NOT from reverse.
I added a charge line from MH to keep toad batty charged and don't bother pu,ling fuses. Make sure the audio (and nav if present);is turned off and lights are off and not auto.
I prefer to install completely separate LED bulb for turn / brake / tail lights and not tie into the OEM system at all. It can work either way with the proper adapters and very much a personal choice.
The other key to set up on brakes is to activate the brake unit 3 or more times after the key is turned off / accy position. That bleeds the power assist for the brake. If you don't the brake unit will likely lock up the toad brakes and you will drag / skid the tires leaving a flat spot... don't ask how I know!
A checklist is very helpful as is doing things in the same order without interruptions or distractions when hooking up.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:56 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Correct, there is no dash indicator you're in tow mode. Just follow the steps in the owner's manual to a t.

Some people install a charge line. We didn't. We just did what many others have done: get the larger Group24 battery. This is the same one which is in the Odessey & it fits in the same tray.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:08 AM   #6

I replaced the fuse for the GPS with two wires and a small switch I located in the change slot on the left side of the dash. This is the same as pulling the fuse. Since I did that on my 2010, I had no more dead batteries. Was a good solution for me.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:12 AM   #7

We tow a 2013 CRV and adding a charge line keeps the battery charged even with all day towing. Just be sure everything else is turned off in the CRV.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Correct, there is no dash indicator you're in tow mode. Just follow the steps in the owner's manual to a t.

Some people install a charge line. We didn't. We just did what many others have done: get the larger Group24 battery. This is the same one which is in the Odessey & it fits in the same tray.
Great point I forgot!
You can get the GP size batty tray from a Honda dealer as it is an Odyssey part. I didn't bother with the cover as things are really tight with the larger batty. The factory batty (forget the size)`is really a joke for an auto... more like lawn tractor or motorcycle??
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:14 AM   #9

Have a airforce braking system and roadmaster tow bar , light system and base plate on my 2014 CRV. Got them from e-trailer .com . Also have tow/ drive switch which turns off dash lights. They have videos of how to install these if you want to do it yourself. Run car thru towing setup as in manual , turn switch to tow ,pull coach forward to check that wheels turn , check lights , and your good to go . Check everything at each stop.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Great point I forgot!
You can get the GP size batty tray from a Honda dealer as it is an Odyssey part. I didn't bother with the cover as things are really tight with the larger batty. The factory batty (forget the size)`is really a joke for an auto... more like lawn tractor or motorcycle??

Easy mod and well worth doing as well as charge line. Towed our 2012 CRV for 8 years with no issues. Battery would go dead after 6 hours of towing till I did charge line and larger capacity battery.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #11

You have to disconnect the dash electric if you tow a CRV , so battery does not drain with key in aux position . Either pull fuse, pain in the a#$ , or install a disconnect switch. A charge line would not be needed.
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:42 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You don't HAVE to do any of that. I didn't (post 5). I could not disconnect because my BB used the 12v receptacle for power.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #13

I’ve got a 12CRV as well. As all the other posts say, No dash indicator, just follow the directions given in owners manual.
We added the charge line as well. After warranty also changed the battery size. We had the car go dead multiple times, not even related to towing, just sitting in driveway for about 4 days and not being used (all in the past now).
Story behind the battery. Honda in there quest to get the best possible fuel mileage out of this New Generation first year, cut as much weight as possible, smallest battery possible and even cut the charging rate so the alternator and wouldn’t have to work as hard. They only charged to 12.2 volts. We got ours in Feb 2012, by the fall 2012 Honda had replaced the battery twice. By winter of 21/13 we got a form letter from Honda saying bring the car to your dealer and the would again replace the battery and also reprogram the computer so the alternator charged at a higher rate, this was a one time deal and would expire in 4 or 6 months. I guess they new that that system would not survive a second northern winter.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, tow, towing