Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #1

Towing a 2013 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4

So just got the new to me 13 Sierra checked the manual and it says transfer case in neutral transmission in park key off and removed from ignition. Seems simple but I have a few questions for those that have been doing it with this truck, what do you do about the brake lights when the toad brake activates? Is there a fuse I can pull so the brake lights don't activate? Also does the accessory points go off after a certain time to protect the battery I read there is a battery protection system that shuts off certain accessories after 20 minutes to protect the battery don't know if they are part of that. And one other question what's everybody doing for lights? I was thinking of going with the blue ox diode kit is anyone using them or is there a better way to go. Thanks in advance for the help!
rocky34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky34 View Post
So just got the new to me 13 Sierra checked the manual and it says transfer case in neutral transmission in park key off and removed from ignition. Seems simple but I have a few questions for those that have been doing it with this truck, what do you do about the brake lights when the toad brake activates? Is there a fuse I can pull so the brake lights don't activate? Also does the accessory points go off after a certain time to protect the battery I read there is a battery protection system that shuts off certain accessories after 20 minutes to protect the battery don't know if they are part of that. And one other question what's everybody doing for lights? I was thinking of going with the blue ox diode kit is anyone using them or is there a better way to go. Thanks in advance for the help!
rocky34,
Well, we tow an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab. And with it:

1. Truck engine running
2. Transmission in Neutral
3. Emergency Brake "ON"
4. Feet on the brake pedal
5. Transfer case into Neutral
6. Transmission back to park
7. Emergency brake off
8. Engine off
9. Remove key

Now, as for lights. I wired mine, the same exact way Iv'e wired all 12 of my toads, for over 30 years. I tied into the factory wiring, right close to the left rear tail light housing. I utilize the stock tail light bulbs as toad lights. I then install TWO, Radio Shack diodes, one for the right turn/brake, and one for the left turn/brake. I DO NOT install any other diodes, in the running light circuit or any other part of the wiring.

That system has worked absolutely flawlessly for over 30 years without ever having one issue.

Now, one thing. On our 2011 GMC, the brake lights ARE NOT ACTIVATED by pushing on the brake pedal, with the ignition off. Many cars/trucks are, not ours. So, using just about any toad braking system could be used on ours. But, you'd have to make sure that your brake lights do activate with the brake pedal, with the ignition off.

We're presently using the M &G Braking system. By virtue of its operation, even if ours were activated with the brake pedal on ignition-on sequence, our brake lights on the truck would not activate.

Anyway, do make sure you go over all the sequences in your owners manual for proper placement of the transfer case etc. It's kind of a pain, you have to jump to multiple pages to find it all but, you'll get there. I'm not sure of the year but, in the later GMCs and Chevys, you have to disconnect the negative battery cable when towing. I think it was later, maybe '15, not sure.

Any questions, PM me and I'd be glad to help.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:06 PM   #3

Thanks Scott that's the info I was looking for my manual says the exact same thing you said for setting up to tow I was just checking because it's so much simpler than what I had to do with my Dodge. I'm probably going to get the blue ox diode kit and use the factory lights as you said it's a much cleaner look. I will check to see if my brake lights work with the key off when I have some help. Thanks for the great info.
rocky34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky34 View Post
Thanks Scott that's the info I was looking for my manual says the exact same thing you said for setting up to tow I was just checking because it's so much simpler than what I had to do with my Dodge. I'm probably going to get the blue ox diode kit and use the factory lights as you said it's a much cleaner look. I will check to see if my brake lights work with the key off when I have some help. Thanks for the great info.
You're certainly welcome Sir. You don't need help for checking your brake lights with the ignition off. All you need to do is, back it up against a garage wall, or, building of some sort and, shut the engine down and, then hit the brakes and see if the wall behind you lights up. I'm including a drawing I did when I setup our "then" toad, an '11 Honda CRV EX-L All Wheel Drive. It's wired identical to any other toad I've done only with one exception.

You'll see a "Tail light Converter" box in line with that wiring. It's there to accommodate the amber tail lights on the Honda. Your truck will have RED tail lights so, that Tail light converter would not be in the picture. Good luck.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing