Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 09:59 AM   #43

Sky Boss makes a good point. But,
My post was directed towards those using the Blueox Patriot system which requires constant power from the Cigar or Aux Power Receptacle. When the fuse by pass is installed, the Aux Power is dead so, to circumvent that, another Aux Power Receptacle is installed that is live at all times.
My point was that with proper installation of the Fused charge line (which is a very simple install) there is no need to modify the fuse block or install another Aux Power Receptacle. Simply plug the Patriot into the OEM power receptacle, leave the key in the Aux Position as per the Owners Manual, and away you go.
The Fused Charge Line is by far the least intrusive, least expensive and simplest method to power the BlueOx Patriot system. Plus, if you are running in mountainous areas where you may be doing more than normal braking, you will still end up with a dead battery unless you have a charge line to keep the battery voltage up.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #44

Note that the 2015 CRV is going to have a CVT transmission whereas, up to and including 2014, it was a 5 speed automatic. Probably will not be able to tow the 2015 four down.
biglou847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglou847 View Post
Note that the 2015 CRV is going to have a CVT transmission whereas, up to and including 2014, it was a 5 speed automatic. Probably will not be able to tow the 2015 four down.

I guess if that's the case, this value of nice used CRVs will be going up.

Randy W

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Fuse bypass and extra power receptacle are Not Necessary if you have a simple charge line from the MH to the Toad as stated in previous posts. You are being sold extras because the installer doesn't know what he's doing.

I thought about a charge line. IRV has one that seems fairly simple to install. I do have a 6 conductor line to the toad. I think one of extra two leads may be power? That would work. I have to check on that. As far as the extra power port goes, he installed it on his own. He didn't tell me it was included and I didn't ask him to do it. Glad he did though.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Old 10-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #47

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Question for the folks towing a '12-14 cr-v. Do all of you pull the 7.5A ACC fuse? I am looking for answers from folks that don't charge the battery while towing.

I just built and installed a fuse shutoff switch circuit. To try to deal with that little sucker every time you tow for a long haul is insane. In experimenting with removing and reinstalling it, I lost the fuse down that black hole of infinity under the fuse box.

If anyone is interested, you can see my thread and respond to the pole: 2014 Honda CR-V fuse by-pass switch. I should have called it a cutoff switch in the title.

Rick Y
We tow an '05 Ody, no mileage accrues but I did have to add a charge line as the battery goes dead after a couple days. I use a RoadMaster air brake setup and it uses no power so it's just the parasitic loads since I turn the radio and climate control off.
Used 8GA wire and 30 amp resetting breakers at each end wired through the 6 way plug.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:49 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Additional power line for Blue Ox

Hello all! We did add a MINI HOLDER FUSE TAP + 5AMP FUSE that we picked up on Amazon for $7.00 just need to plug that into the fuse block to add additional line for that Blue Ox and added the fuse bypass switch, have over 2,000 miles on our CRV with no problems and works great! We keep the brake system at 1 and with the breakaway legal no matter where we travel. Can't believe that toad will ever be able to stop a 12 ton unit go down the road.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
I am all set to tow my CR-V. Has anyone upgraded the tail, turn and marker lights to LED? I have not been able to find the replacements. Those I have looked at on line have been so generic I could not tell if they would replace the 7443 or 7440 lamps. I checked with m4products.com and they couldn't help. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:07 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
I ordered the Brake Buddy toad charge line. I have power to the toad through the lighting umbilical to the CRV. It looks straightforward to hook up. I'll see how that works.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Old 11-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
No, it is not true. I purchased my CRV in July (2014) . We towed it and it did not add mileage. Just follow the instructions in the CRV user manual.
estack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
We only have 1500+ miles on our CR-V and another 500 towing. I simply follow the Owners Manual instructions for the transmission and shut off the Aux fuse kill switch. At the end of the day the car still starts fine and the tow miles are not registered by the car. The biggest drain on the battery is the break lights and directionals. I still want to replace them with LED's but I am hoping the price will start dropping soon.

Love the CR-V and towing it is no problem. My setup is much easier to use than my old tow dolly and car was. I am still learning the best way to attach things but that is just me.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed the charge line with no problems. We just towed the CRV from NY to Florida with no issues. Towed great and had no battery issues at all. Just turned off the radio, did the trans setup, hooked up the brake and took off. Very happy we sold our tow dolly and switched to this setup.

Thanks,
Craig and Joan
Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post
I installed the charge line with no problems. We just towed the CRV from NY to Florida with no issues. Towed great and had no battery issues at all. Just turned off the radio, did the trans setup, hooked up the brake and took off. Very happy we sold our tow dolly and switched to this setup.

Thanks,
Craig and Joan
Craig. The tow dolly was like a sea anchor. Always there and always aware. Happy trails has a new meaning now.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
The dolly towed nice but it seemed to get heavier each time I used it!

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Old 11-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post
The dolly towed nice but it seemed to get heavier each time I used it!

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
How about loading up in the cold and wet on a dirt pad? And then there is unloading after two days of driving in the rain! Oh what fun it is to get those straps off. I feel I am living high class now. I even have time to if I want after hitching and unhitching... even if the weather is a bit on the side. Ahaaa... Ain't RVing fun! (And relocating more so now!!!)

Rick Y

Tags
towing, tow