Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #1

Towing a 2014 Jeep Wrangler w/auto trans

Does this year auto.trans. Jeep have the steering wheel lock? Can it be towed 4 down without draining the battery? Can I just put the transfer case in neutral and tow 4 down?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The Wrangler hasn't had a steering wheel lock since sometime in '08.

I believe there is a procedure outlined in the owner's manual for setting up the auto trans for towing. Yes, the transfer case in neutral would be part of I,t but as ours is a stick I can't vouch for any difference there might be for setting up an auto.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
This is the procedure outlined in my Jeep's manual and the procedure I use.

Quote:
Flat Towing: Jeep Liberty
· Depress the brake pedal and turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine shut off.
· Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
· Shift the transfer case into NEUTRAL by holding down the NEUTRAL PIN switch for 4 seconds until the LED starts to blink. The LED will stop blinking and remain on when the shift is complete.
· Start the engine and shift into DRIVE to ensure there is no vehicle movement.
· Shut the engine off and shift the transmission into PARK.
· Place the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the key.
· Apply the parking brake, attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle with a tow bar and release the parking brake.
Switching Back to Road Gear: Jeep Liberty
· Apply the parking brake.
· Depress the brake pedal and turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine shut off.
· Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
· Shift the transfer case into RUN by holding down the NEUTRAL PIN switch for 4 seconds until the LED goes off. The LED will remain off when the shift is complete.
· Start the engine and shift into DRIVE to ensure the vehicle will attempt to move.
· Shut the engine off and shift the transmission into PARK.
· Place the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the key.
· Assure the parking brake is still applied. Remove the Tow Bar from the Jeep.

Any Jeep that has a Transfer Case that can be shifted to Neutral can be flat towed. As has been stated, the Steering Wheel Lock was removed approx. 2008.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yes the 2014 Wrangler can be towed 4 down with transmission in park and transfer case in neutral with no steering wheel lock.
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses! Very helpful.

I'm still searching it see if the ignition switch has to be ON as that will run the battery down. My Jeep Patriot tows without the key in the ignition.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #6

On the 2013 wrangler unlimited the ingition switch is off - there is no column lock.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Ignition off, key in your pocket.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #8

Transfer case in neutral

Transmission in Park

Key in pocket

The sequence in the owners manual (my 2013 but no changes to 2014) has some CYA stuff, like put it in drive and see if it moves when you give it gas, then put in reverse and see if it moves when you give it gas.

Jeep suggests you do all this before you hook up. That's fine and dandy until you miss by one inch and need to move the Jeep.

There are also a couple of steps for the parking brake on and off.

We hook up and do the push/pull test with the tow bars hooked up but disengaged. If no movement/push/pull, we lock the tow bar and do a test while the DW pulls forward in the MH. I then check for free wheeling and turn signals and brake lights.

Works for us.
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:09 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Idaho....You might want to check out this thread. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/towin...-207640-2.html
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterrrr View Post
Idaho....You might want to check out this thread. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/towin...-207640-2.html
Pete...great link Thank you.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
Pete...great link Thank you.
Yes thank you. I C&Ped then printed the connect and disconnect instructions for use if we end up with the Wrangler we are looking at.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:48 PM   #12

2014 JKUR auto. We keep the key with us. No problems!
s2kdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towing a 2014 Jeep Wrangler w/auto trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
This is the procedure outlined in my Jeep's manual and the procedure I use.

Any Jeep that has a Transfer Case that can be shifted to Neutral can be flat towed. As has been stated, the Steering Wheel Lock was removed approx. 2008.

Agreed! The "key" is to follow the procedure as specified in the applicable Jeep Owner's Manual and you're good to go! Quite straight forward.
BTW, the 2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition still has the steering wheel lock and requires the key in the ignition set to the "unlocked off" position to tow all 4 down. :( Don't ask how I know! Looking forward to my next Jeep...

Tags
tow, towing