Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2020, 05:43 AM   #1

Towing a 2015 Chevy Silverado

We recently purchased a motor home and I'd like to tow my 2015 Silverado flat but based on the research I've done it sounds like it could be complicated. Does anyone have any experience towing a 2015 Silverado or should I consider a trailer?
RogerTuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2020, 07:11 AM   #2

Towing a silverado

I tow a 2015 behind my 2000 american eagle, and there are a number of things that need to done.
#1 you need some way of applying the brakes on your truck, I use a road master air operated system as my coach has air brakes and was already preped with an air line at the rear. There are electricly operated systems as well but are a little more pricey but easyer to install. You will also need a bracket that mounts under the two drivers side front seat bolts to mount the braking device to.
# 2 you will need to have a way to make the brake lights to come on on the truck when the motor home brakes are applied. There is a electronic system kit for this that comes with diodes ( one way electronics devices) that only allow current to flow one way, isolating the the tail lamps from the factory system and the towing system.I bought one but opted not to use it as i required cutting into the facory wiring harness to install, instead mounting seperate lamp sockets in the tail lights themselves and running a seperate harness to the back of the truck for those lamps.I also mounted a battery cut out switch on the positive cable as it is necessay to leave the ignition switch in the on position so the truck can be put in neutral and track properly behind the towing vehicle. This is my personal preferance, my truck has a manual transfer case so its easy to put in neutral, I just like being able to put the trans in neutral as well.
#3 you need to mount the towing bracket to the front of the pickup its self to hook the tow bar to, I would say this is the hardest part of the install, there is alot that needs to removed in order to get to the point on the front frame where the mount can be installed.
The whole system cost me about $1000, got it all off of amazon,I already had the tow bar from the previous owner.
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest I would give this a 7 only because its labor intense, it took me the better part of 2 days.

I
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:32 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
First your Silverado must be 4 wheel drive with a neutral position for the transfer case. It will be in your owner's manual. I use a separate set of lights (boat trailer LED) secures to the tailgate. You also need a brake system, there are many; you have to research them. Maybe first you should determine if your motor home is capable of towing about 5500 pounds of truck.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhead View Post
I tow a 2015 behind my 2000 american eagle, and there are a number of things that need to done.
#1 you need some way of applying the brakes on your truck, I use a road master air operated system as my coach has air brakes and was already preped with an air line at the rear. There are electricly operated systems as well but are a little more pricey but easyer to install. You will also need a bracket that mounts under the two drivers side front seat bolts to mount the braking device to.
# 2 you will need to have a way to make the brake lights to come on on the truck when the motor home brakes are applied. There is a electronic system kit for this that comes with diodes ( one way electronics devices) that only allow current to flow one way, isolating the the tail lamps from the factory system and the towing system.I bought one but opted not to use it as i required cutting into the facory wiring harness to install, instead mounting seperate lamp sockets in the tail lights themselves and running a seperate harness to the back of the truck for those lamps.I also mounted a battery cut out switch on the positive cable as it is necessay to leave the ignition switch in the on position so the truck can be put in neutral and track properly behind the towing vehicle. This is my personal preferance, my truck has a manual transfer case so its easy to put in neutral, I just like being able to put the trans in neutral as well.
#3 you need to mount the towing bracket to the front of the pickup its self to hook the tow bar to, I would say this is the hardest part of the install, there is alot that needs to removed in order to get to the point on the front frame where the mount can be installed.
The whole system cost me about $1000, got it all off of amazon,I already had the tow bar from the previous owner.
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the hardest I would give this a 7 only because its labor intense, it took me the better part of 2 days.

I
Great information, Thank you so much.
RogerTuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:06 AM   #5

You bet.
sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerTuscany View Post
We recently purchased a motor home and I'd like to tow my 2015 Silverado flat but based on the research I've done it sounds like it could be complicated. Does anyone have any experience towing a 2015 Silverado or should I consider a trailer?
I set my GMC Sierra up so I could tow it and thought it to be very easy and seems to tow great.
For the base plate I used Blue Ox. You remove the tow hooks and install the adapters into the frame in their location. Very simple and easy install.
For lights I removed the tail lights and installed socket and bulbs into the housing. Again very simple install
For brakes I used the NSA ready brute brake system. This was the hardest of the installations as you need to run a cable from front of pickup to the brake pedal. Nice thing about this system is it’s very easy to connect and disconnect. Just a simple spring clip to connect or disconnect.
I also installed a battery disconnect switch to make it very simple to connect and disconnect.
I have towed a 2013 CR-V, 2018 GMC Acadia, and the Sierra. Once you have them all set up with base plates, brakes and lights for towing, I would say the Acadia is the easiest and simplest to hookup and disconnect followed by the Sierra and then CR-V last.
kenbo800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, tow, towing