Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Towing a 2016 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with an Automatic Transmission

Can I tow my truck behind a 2003 HR if I add a transmission cooler?
Scorpion65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #2

I do not believe the Tacoma is towable. It should say in the owners manual. You'll need a trailer with all 4 wheels off the ground. I don't know if you can get front wheel lockout hubs, but if you had those, there is a company that makes a driveshaft disconnect. You could potentially tow then.

Too bad, I'd love a 4x4 Tacoma I could tow 4-down
Old 07-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion65 View Post
Can I tow my truck behind a 2003 HR if I add a transmission cooler?[emoji144]
You can do so with a drive shaft disconnect.

I have a 4 runner and in the same situation as you.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
A few years ago I wanted to buy a Toyota Tacoma as a tow vehicle at a small local dealer. I was talking to the salesman and he didn't know. The general manager was setting in the lobby, so he ask him about it. His response shocked me. He said" no it isn't towable, and if we see it has towing equipment or evidence that it has been towed, we will void your warranty." I bought a Nissan Frontier.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier Pro4x I wanted to tow. I called the dealer and they said it was not recommended .
I saw this old guy while on a walk yesterday that was hooking up an older American car to be towed with a blue ox tow bar by an older model surburban. I decided to stop and tell him what info I got when calling my Nissan dealer.

The old guy ( should say older guy ) tells me that all the dealers tell ya that.
Then he went into the transmission story.
Next he said ya just cant put your car from park to Neutral, ya have to go to drive, then neutral.

About all I could say was huh. I thought neutral was neutral for all practical purposes. He said not when towing, go to drive then neutral.

I've never towed yet behind our MH ,so I am being inquisitive yet cautious.
bradvoorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Years ago, a good friend owned a 4x4 Bronco. We wanted to tow it 4 down, the owners manual, and the Ford dealer told him it was not recommended. He said the same thing, put it in neutral and towed it. Two years later, we were at his place getting ready for a trip. He had just gotten his Bronco back with a new transmission. I'll eat your hat, if he didn't hook it up, put it in neutral, and off we went.

All I can say is good luck!
Old 07-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradvoorhees View Post

The old guy ( should say older guy ) tells me that all the dealers tell ya that.
Then he went into the transmission story.
Next he said ya just cant put your car from park to Neutral, ya have to go to drive, then neutral.

About all I could say was huh. I thought neutral was neutral for all practical purposes. He said not when towing, go to drive then neutral.
The "old guy" was 100% right. Honda CRV, a very popular toad, is exactly that way, outlined in the owners manual. You MUST go to drive, then into neutral. If you go thru Reverse to neutral, it will ruin the transmission. I assume it has something to do with the oil in the tranny.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
That would be a no for the 2016 Tacoma. I bought a Limited 4x4 and sold it 8 months later when we found we couldn't tow it because Toyota, in their infinite wisdom, engineered out any neutral from the transfer case of the new trucks.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:02 AM   #9

However you can tow a Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition base model or the later 4Runner TRD Pro model. It comes with an automatic transmission AND a manual shift transfer case with neutral. They can be hard to find used and expensive new.

Tags
tow, towing, transmission