Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2010, 03:20 AM   #1

towing a Buick Enclave issue

We're on our first trip towing the Enclave. I added a Toad-Charge so I wouldn't have to pull any fuse(s) to keep from running the battery down. That part works well. The problem is that mileage is being recorded. It looks like I'll have to at least pull fuse #1. Has anyone been through this and can offer ideas?
racer0624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I think you may have the ignition key in the wrong position. It should be in ACCessory. I had a Toad Charge for awhile and my 2007 Acadia (sister to Enclave) did not record mileage. However, the battery still went dead on long trips, so I pulled the Toad Charge and installed a switch on the Batt #1 fuse instead.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #3

Thanks Gary,
I checked and I have been using accessory. I may go with a switch or just pull #1. On our way back to Fl I'll try pulling it and see what happens.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Odd - I don't see why the Enclave would do it and not other Lamda family models.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #5

If you decide to just pull the fuse in the future, go to an auto parts store and get one of the taller versions of the fuse (the taller one will still fit easily under the cover). Then you will always be able to just pull it our by hand and replace it by hand as well. Since we don't pull our Acadia very often, I went with just pulling the fuse the one to two times a year we tow.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:45 PM   #6

Thanks. I'll make a visit to a local NAPA or whatever's here in Goshen, In.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #7

Well, I pulled the #1 fuse and towed it from Goshen to Charlotte, Mi. No mileage on Enclave as expected. I sure would like to find a way to disconnect the #1 fuse with out having to pull it. I've seen a few ways mentioned here and will look some more.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It's a breeze to make up a fused switch and mount under the hood on the firewall. A bit more work if you want to run it inside so you can switch from the driver seat.

In the attached photo, the Blue oval shows the 50A fuse, the Yellow oval the connection to the Batt1 fuse socket (spade lugs wrapped in electrical tape) and the Green oval is the 50A rated toggle switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acadia Fuse switch (Small-annotated).jpg
Views:	1506
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	5101  
Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #9

I know most folks will not believe me, but there is no need to pull fuse or add a switch or a toad charge to the Lambda family (Acadia, Traverse, Enclave, Outlook) of vehicles. The following has worked for us for over 8,000 towing miles:

Apply parking brake.
Put transmission in park.

Shut off engine.
Connect tow bar.
Connect safety cables.

Connect towing lights.
Test towing lights.

Crank car engine.
Release parking brake.
Pull straight back.
When one leg locks, turn steering wheel towards locked side.
Pull back till other leg locks.
Turn engine off.
Depress brake pedal.
Turn ignition key towards (but not all the way to) “Accy.” (first position to unlock steering wheel) until lights come on dash.
Shift transmission to neutral.
Turn ignition to “Off”

Remove key.
Release brake pedal.
Turn on towed braking system.

Activate alarm system with key fob or door switch.

Your mileage may vary but simple works best for us.

Tim
tpm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Enclave TOAD

We do most of the steps that Tim writes about (we let the Blue Ox arms settle themselves out).

I never noticed if the mileage was recording or not. It would be OK with us if it was recording - since the mileage is on the tires anyway.

Did make the mistake of setting the key one spot too far and drained the battery in 500 miles. The first key position past LOCK is enough and the battery is happy.

Haven't had luck locking the vehicle and then getting back in (without the fuse).
I locked using the switch on the door.
Tried to unlock with the fob - nothing.
Unlocked by putting the key in the drivers door - alarm sounded. Don't like that part. Makes it look like I'm stealing my own car.
KSDP_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Our 2007 Acadia - first Acadia ever towed (Blue Ox tested theirbase plates on it) - ran the battery dead consistently. Fought with GMC over it and finally a savvy tech figured out the owner manual had the wrong fuse listed. I installed a Toad Charge to avoid pulling the fuse, but the 5A model available at the time was insufficient. They sent me a free prototype 10A Toad Charge, and still the battery went dead if towed more than 2-3 hours. I sold the Toad Charge, installed a switch on the Batt#1 fuse and solved the problem once and for all.

We lose the clock when the switch is off - that's the only real problem. Do have to use the key to unlock the doors, though. The fob doesn't work anymore after a few minutes with the switch off.

Maybe later Enclaves have a slightly different wiring harness.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #12

I just don't understand the need for switches or pulling fuses. When we tow our Outlook, the ignition is "off" and the key is in my pocket. This family of vehicles does not have a steering wheel lock, and the procedure I described above gets the transmission in neutral.

At one time we towed over 4 days and 2,000 miles without unhooking. We only ran it in the mornings and at fuel stops as directed in the owner's manual. No dead batteries, no resetting the clock, and no toad charge.
tpm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks TPM64. We just returned from the Black Hills with our 2010 Enclave for the first time and run down the battery twice even with starting and running at fuel stops. Was going to add the switch but will sure give your suggestion at try first.
jfbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The owner manual of your Outlook directs that it should be towed with the key in ACC and the Batt1 fuse removed. You are saying it works fine without doing that, but then you recommend following the rest of the owner manual instructions (runs the engine at fuel stops, etc). My question is, how did you decide which owner manual instructions were valid and which not?

My 2007 Acadia very definitely runs the battery down with he key in ACC, sometimes in as little as 2 hours of towing. Never tried towing it with the key off, but agree there does not seem to be a steering wheel lock (has a chip on the key instead).

I tried calling GMC Customer Service on this question but they refuse to discuss it. Just follow the manual, they say.