Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #15

Backagain,
Well, it sure appears you're thinking this one out. That's a good thing. You only want to do this one time. PBdBlue's solution, is almost identical to the one I showed you, just slightly different. But, it's still the more "dangerous" technique in loading M/Cs that high. Now, what's dangerous or, difficult to some, is no big deal to others. I've done it all. Loading that TW on that carrier was to say the least, tough on the body (mine) in making sure I kept from tweaking back muscles etc. To get it down was just as bad.

To some, fighting that kind of situation is no big deal. That's great. I applaud those folks. But, me, I only got one body so, time to take care of it. So, I make things as easy as I can on it. And if it were me, in your situation, I'd maybe look at that same thing you're looking at. But, me being me, I'd maybe also think about modifying it so I could have a receiver where I wanted it, under that unit.

Now, you asked about clearances between the loaded bike and, your toad. Well, there's some geometry involved here that some don't think about. Having the coach tied to the toad and, carrying the bike, while turning as sharp as a turn, in either direction, is one thing. You of course have to account for that. But, there's also DIPS!! When you enter a dip, there's a diminishing clearance between the top-center of the hood of the toad, and the bike too.

But, it gets worse. There's also a TURN AND A DIP, as in when entering a drive way at an angle or, a gas station or, campground etc. You will see a very quick diminishing clearance between the corners of the fenders and the bike etc. These are situations that need to be worked out, before it's all completed and installed.

So, you have a few avenues to think about. Three receivers is a great way of really having stability in a system. But, based on the carrier you're thinking about, three won't work. Three only work when the platform is permanent, not elevating/descending. Good luck on your endeavor.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 11:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Here's mine. Logged 100's of miles with it.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f250/mc-c...ed-245468.html
I like your set-up and KTM. What do you think if your bike was 100lbs heavier as in a DR650, for getting on and off that carrier?
backagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
I like your set-up and KTM. What do you think if your bike was 100lbs heavier as in a DR650, for getting on and off that carrier?
It's plenty strong for a DR650 but not sure how manageable it would be getting it on\off. I also have CRF230 that is dual sported. It's my grocery runner. The hitch height on my mh is 26.5" so the rack is up pretty high. Loading 250# dirt bikes is no big deal but a DR650 might be a handful. I suppose I could redesign things to get it lower. The KTM is plated but it's my dirt toy.

Tags
tow, towing